Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbhoward20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Hello everyone I am new here and I figured id start off by saying I do not know why I did not get into ios development earlier. I have 2 main questions one being about ios and the other about the game im thinking about building. Firstly I was very smart with android programming as well as other languages C++, VB and I was wondering how much of a difference is ios? Now my second question is about my game im thinking about building. If I wanted to implement a multiplayer not like a literal one but one that pulls the players stats and currency and what not, could this be achieved with mysql? Or would I have to just create myself a few servers? Any ideas would be great since I am newbish with ios.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
1 - You're still using OO languages, and they're still based on C. Programs for iOS are written in Obj-C and C. C++ is permissible in some spots but you can't use it alone.

I'm don't understand your second question.

dbhoward20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Ok thanks :). My second question well let me make it easier I was in a rush when I asked the second one lol. But basically I am wanting to do a multiplayer type game. When a player first starts the game he/she gets to choose their name and once that is done it will store their name in a database and id imagine it would check their device id when they opened the app again. But the main thing is a player builds things and as they build them they level up and such I was wondering if this is something can be achieved without the use of a full blown server? Or would MySQL be they way the go to store the player values.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
If you're not using a server, how else would online persistence be managed?

Game Center can manage accounts, high scores, and achievements...

iCloud can store more arbitrary data...

I still don't really understand your question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.