Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tideshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
One of applications I missed for Mac when I switched was a good Bittorrent client. I've tried all of them and all of them seem fairly mediocre, but this morning I found Transmission which is awesome. It's a native Mac OS X application for 10.3.9 and up. It looks like it's in beta, but it's solid. The icon could use a little work, but don't let it deter you from trying it.

The only thing it lacks is an upload ratio, but I think they're adding one soon. I've added a screenshot, because if you're like me, a screenshot tells you a lot about the program.

Attachments

• Transmission.png
    Transmission.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 534

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
iSaint said:
I've found Azureus to be everything I need.

I find that azuares is the biggest RAM hogger ever....i have been lookin for somethin new, maybe i'll try this, but right now i am too lazy to change.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
tideshark said:
One of applications I missed for Mac when I switched was a good Bittorrent client. I've tried all of them and all of them seem fairly mediocre, but this morning I found Transmission which is awesome....
Is this Transmission hogging the RAM as much as BitTorrent? Just asking..

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I love azureus (or whatever it's called), its got great featureres and I don't find it that much of a RAM hog. Much better compard to either Tomatoe torrent or the official Bittorent ap.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Azureus is a good app. I must have transferred over 1.2TB downloads/uploads without it ever crashing or any issue with hogging RAM.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
i tend to like simple, clean apps and i'm very impressed with this new app.

looks like it's from the same guy that makes 'handbrake' - the dvd ripping tool. he sure knows how to design nice looking, simple apps.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
I've given up on bittorents. It takes days to download stuff. I'll stick with Acquisition. :cool:

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
bursty said:
I've given up on bittorents. It takes days to download stuff. I'll stick with Acquisition. :cool:

Bittorrent is very fast if you know how to correctly configure your firewall.

On topic, what is up with this developer's automotive naming scheme?

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
Wes said:
Bittorrent is very fast if you know how to correctly configure your firewall.

On topic, what is up with this developer's automotive naming scheme?
Have any advice for me? :confused:

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...this one looks promising and I will give it a try. I usually just use Tomato Torrent which has always worked okay for me so far (I only use it for unreleased live music through Dime-a-dozen)...oh yeah!

Laplace

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I must need some help correctly configuring my firewall then. I have such a hard time with downloads. I upload like a TON of stuff, and then all my downlaods get stuck at 99% or something. It sucks.

Laplace

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
Laplace said:
I must need some help correctly configuring my firewall then. I have such a hard time with downloads. I upload like a TON of stuff, and then all my downlaods get stuck at 99% or something. It sucks.

Laplace
the 99% issue is simply a problem with a lack of connected seeders. if you download most of the content, but then all the seeders drop out or whatever you'll just sit there. waiting. it fscking sucks. oh, by the way, as far as bittorrent clients, i'll chime in. tomato torrent for mac, bitlord for pc. yeah, i know they're drastically different but i download different types of things on my pc than on my mac.

TrenchMouth

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2002
When I first read this post I thought it was shameless self promotion. It may be, but I am ok with that. This program is pretty damn good. Simple, and so far it is stable, which is nice. It pretty much just works. Thanks for the heads up.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
I suppose I'll be the first to chime in about Bits-on-Wheels. The developer seems to have dropped from sight, but its much more lightweight than Azureus. Azureus always seems bloated to me.

BOW does everything I want, with a few exceptions. You can't just download specific files from a torrent, you can't use plugins like in Azureus and you can't have files download in a specific order (ie. A max number of downloads with the rest queued).

tideshark

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
TrenchMouth said:
When I first read this post I thought it was shameless self promotion. It may be, but I am ok with that. This program is pretty damn good. Simple, and so far it is stable, which is nice. It pretty much just works. Thanks for the heads up.

Nope, I'm not the developer or a contributor. I just like to find new applications for my new Mac (recent switcher). Always happy to find a better application, because they're usually out there with some searching.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
I'll probably give it a try. I've been using Azureus for few months now and it works ok (I like the futures it has to offer such as plug-ins, sorting and big range of settings) but I'm getting allot of crashes almost everyday. It's shutting down because of Java client which is up to date. :mad:
Anyway it could be my only issue but I don't have or run on my Mac anything out of ordinary, actually most of the time Azureus is only app. that's running.
It could be also RAM issue that I installed awhile ago by myself upgrading Mini, I had my Mac giving me Kernel errors maybe once every months or two :(

ciphex

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2003
US
Transmission Wins

Transmission is the lightest and fastest BT client I have ever used on any platform.

mark6051

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2005
Australia
I've looked at Bittorrent before but it always seems hard to find files in that format....Is there a knack to finding bittorrents ?

g^3

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
hi, i have tried many bittorrent clients and can't figure out how to get faster dl speeds. i'm stuck at 20-30kb/s if i'm lucky! i've tried turning my firewall off and setting different ports with no luck. could you please give me some suggestions. thank you

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Azureus?

Everyone I see says its a hog...

I dont notice it hogging anything. But seeing as how I believe its a JAVA application WTF do you expect?

If you are using Azureus on a G3, what do you expect. I run it on my dual 1.8 G5 and it works great, best features and whatnot....

Ill give Transmission a try, but cmon, use what you like now what others like or think is "good, bad or ugly".

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
Post 400, 100 to go…

I find that the only really usable one for my uses is Tomato Torrent to date. The official client just eats memory as soon as you open up a partially downloaded file to continue (open Activity Monitor and spot the change in used RAM as it checks the current file). Azureus is powerful but overkill for my needs, and on my iBook's screen I just can't fit all the detail I want into the columns without scrolling, a major Mac no-no in my eyes.

So I'll happily take a look at this Transmission app - it looks like something I'd like. Thanks for the heads up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.