Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:51 PM   #1
agheler
macrumors newbie

Can't add certain MP3s to iTunes

There are a few of my albums that will not add to iTunes. I can click File, Add to Library and select the songs and they do not get added. These songs are in MP3 format. I can even open up the songs in Finder and click Get Info and it will play the preview. Any ideas?
agheler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:54 PM   #2
pointycollars
macrumors regular

Are they somehow copy-protected songs that you bought on an online store that wasn't the iTunes store? I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't add.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 01:59 PM   #3
agheler
macrumors newbie

Nope

These are DRM-free songs.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:02 PM   #4
pointycollars
macrumors regular

Have you tried simply dragging-and-dropping the files from their source into itunes? I don't know what difference this makes, but that's how I always import songs into itunes that I have as mp3 files not on cd.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 02:30 PM   #5
agheler
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointycollars View Post
Have you tried simply dragging-and-dropping the files from their source into itunes? I don't know what difference this makes, but that's how I always import songs into itunes that I have as mp3 files not on cd.
That does not work. Also, I can play the songs in Quicktime. Weird.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 11:32 PM   #6
Trainwreck707
macrumors member

I had the same problem until tonight. After doing a Google search and finding a lot of others in the same situation, I figured I'd post my solution.

I scanned and repaired my problem mp3's with mp3Val and now they work perfectly. I did this in Windows, but I bet there is a free mp3 validator for Mac out there somewhere.
Trainwreck707 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:55 PM   #7
filmobsessed
macrumors newbie

Try this, it worked for me - mp3 validator

http://triq.net/mac/mp3-validator-mac-os-x
filmobsessed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Kruddler
macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem. I'm using 10.5 64bit. Recently, a lot of my files won't go in to iTunes. This includes MP3s that have been legitimately downloaded from MP3 dealers other than iTunes, and it includes MP3s of my own music which I personally encoded with the LAME engine.

Is this some kind of move to annoy people who don't buy MP3s from iTunes? I tried the MP3 validator mentioned above but it made no difference. Whether I drag the files in, or add them through the file menu, they never appear in iTunes.

I'm trying to release my music here! I can't go around giving people MP3s if they won't load in to iTunes.
Kruddler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #9
harlock59
macrumors newbie

hi, i'm under windows 8 and i tried mp3val and i still get problems with 5 mp3 files that can't be fixed with mp3val. i got them from clip to mp3 from the website http://www.force-download.net/clip_mp3.php

i wanted the album only human from amon duul 2
two songs get well but 5 out of 7 still can't get added to itunes and play well on vlc

sorry, even vlc can't play 'em i will re-download...
harlock59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store