Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

choski94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
I am trying to transfer a few specific gmail emails to a Mac Mail mailbox. I have searched forums to get suggestions but am having an issue with the final step. I open the particular gmail mail, click on the option for "show original" which opens it in a new tab, right-click and select "save as" then type in a name followed by .eml or emlx and tell it to save to desktop. If I save as an .eml then it shows up fine and I can tell it to open with Mail and it will show up. But then if I move it to the particular mailbox library and try to rebuild that mailbox the mail will disappear forever. If I save the email as an .emlx it shows on the desktop and I can open it but the file is empty.

Any suggestions? I am still running 10.5.8 right now.

Thanks, Chris

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What might be quicker and easier is to enable IMAP in gmail then add the gmail account to OS X Mail. Then just drag the message from the gmail IMAP folder into the Mail account folder you want. You can delete the gmail account from Mail after if you want.

choski94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
I don't want to do that. I already have gmail set up in Mac Mail. The particular emails that I want to save are ones that were already downloaded in the past but accidentally deleted. Now it turns out I might need them for some legal documentation (long story) and I need them to show with the original date, which won't happen if I just forward them to myself from gmail.

If I can't save the way I was trying above, then I can set up my laptop to download but that's a Windows system so then I'd have to figure out how to export them from Windows Mail and transfer them to my Mac desktop.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I don't want to do that. I already have gmail set up in Mac Mail. The particular emails that I want to save are ones that were already downloaded in the past but accidentally deleted. Now it turns out I might need them for some legal documentation (long story) and I need them to show with the original date, which won't happen if I just forward them to myself from gmail.

If I can't save the way I was trying above, then I can set up my laptop to download but that's a Windows system so then I'd have to figure out how to export them from Windows Mail and transfer them to my Mac desktop.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am not saying to forward anything. If you have a mail message in a GMail IMAP folder in Mail, all you do is drag that message into the local Mail folder and it just copies it over completely intact with original dates and headers and everything.

choski94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
We are both misunderstanding, I think. I already have my gmail set up to download into Mac Mail. I'm not trying to move emails from one folder to another. I am trying to save an email directly from gmail online to a folder in Mail. It was one that was downloaded several months ago but deleted accidentally from my folder. I don't know any way to retrieve it via IMAP or Pop without downloading everything again - thousands of messages.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
We are both misunderstanding, I think. I already have my gmail set up to download into Mac Mail. I'm not trying to move emails from one folder to another. I am trying to save an email directly from gmail online to a folder in Mail. It was one that was downloaded several months ago but deleted accidentally from my folder. I don't know any way to retrieve it via IMAP or Pop without downloading everything again - thousands of messages.

Okay I gotcha... but what I am suggesting will still work. Just go to gmail.com and move the message from All Mail or Archive (wherever it is in GMail) to a new label (GMail folder) on the gmail website. Now start OS X Mail and you should see the new label as a new IMAP folder and that message will be there. Now just drag that message into the local Mail folder you want it in. Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.