Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1
browerjs
macrumors member

ATV general questions

Since I'm getting sucked into the Apple ecosystem more and more (iPhones, iPad, MacBook), I'm thinking about getting rid of my Netgear NeoTV550 and switching to an AppleTV for streaming purposes.

Currently all my BluRays are ripped to movie only ISO, so it is my understanding that I will have to convert all of these to mp4. Is there any free software that does this (BDISO->MP4) directly w/o intermediate steps, or do I need to buy something like DVDFab.

I have all my content stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS, but it is my understanding that I have to have iTunes open to use the AppleTV. No streaming directly from the ReadyNAS. If iTunes is open on my MacBook, does it actually stream from the NAS to my MacBook to the ATV, or does it go directly from the NAS to the ATV, and just use iTunes for the location information? My ATV would be hardwired, so I'd like to minimize the WiFi. If I start streaming with iTunes open and someone is using the MacBook and shuts the lid, will the streaming stop?

I have no real interest in buying an ATV2 and jailbreaking.
browerjs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:42 AM   #2
blueroom
macrumors 603

Mount the ISO and Handbrake will convert it to an ATV3 friendly .m4v
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post
Since I'm getting sucked into the Apple ecosystem more and more (iPhones, iPad, MacBook), I'm thinking about getting rid of my Netgear NeoTV550 and switching to an AppleTV for streaming purposes.

Currently all my BluRays are ripped to movie only ISO, so it is my understanding that I will have to convert all of these to mp4. Is there any free software that does this (BDISO->MP4) directly w/o intermediate steps, or do I need to buy something like DVDFab.

I have all my content stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS, but it is my understanding that I have to have iTunes open to use the AppleTV. No streaming directly from the ReadyNAS. If iTunes is open on my MacBook, does it actually stream from the NAS to my MacBook to the ATV, or does it go directly from the NAS to the ATV, and just use iTunes for the location information? My ATV would be hardwired, so I'd like to minimize the WiFi. If I start streaming with iTunes open and someone is using the MacBook and shuts the lid, will the streaming stop?

I have no real interest in buying an ATV2 and jailbreaking.
If your ISO's have been decrypted, you can go directly to HB. You will then probably want to tag your files. I use Subler (free and a very good product).
You cannot stream directly from the NAS.
If the lid on the MBP is shut, streaming will stop.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:18 PM   #4
dernhelm
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic j View Post
You cannot stream directly from the NAS.
You can check out this article:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...on-readynas%3F

If you don't mind setting up Firefly on your ReadyNAS you may be able to stream from it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:21 PM   #5
mic j
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dernhelm View Post
You can check out this article:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...on-readynas%3F

If you don't mind setting up Firefly on your ReadyNAS you may be able to stream from it.
Only streams music.

Homesharing is needed for video streaming and there is no NAS that I am aware of that supports Homesharing. There are other recent threads about this very subject and no one has yet come up with an NAS that will run iTunes that supports video.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater