Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #26
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
Apple did not invent pinch to zoom. Other companies did, Apple just copied it.
You are right, but an invention is nothing without a good implementation. Show me one device before the iPhone that had its class of multitouch capabilities? Just one. I'm waiting...
coolfactor is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:44 PM   #27
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

To all you people saying that this is natural on every device fail to realize that it was only obvious AFTER Apple implemented it on the iPhone. Hindsight is always clear after someone else has done it and I dare you to come up with something better.

I'm not defending Apple here but just pointing out something before it's said.
iMikeT is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:45 PM   #28
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
Why do you click and comment (aka complain)? Just curious.
If I could just down vote I would.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:45 PM   #29
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

When it rains...

...it pours
BornAgainApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:47 PM   #30
mentholiptus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Apple did not invent pinch to zoom. Other companies did, Apple just copied it.
What companies shipped consumer products that included pinch to zoom as a feature? Please, list links to these products, companies, and patents.

Thx.

Here, go to 33:40, and note the reaction of the viewers.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72uTrA5EDY
mentholiptus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:47 PM   #31
Peppa
macrumors member

Quote:
You are right, but an invention is nothing without a good implementation. Show me one device before the iPhone that had its class of multitouch capabilities? Just one. I'm waiting...
That's not the way patenting works...
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:47 PM   #32
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple copying pinch to zoom from other companies doesn't give it a God given right to a patent for it.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:49 PM   #33
mentholiptus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiket View Post
to all you people saying that this is natural on every device fail to realize that it was only obvious after apple implemented it on the iphone. Hindsight is always clear after someone else has done it and i dare you to come up with something better.

I'm not defending apple here but just pointing out something before it's said.
exactly.

----------

Quote:
Apple copying pinch to zoom from other companies doesn't give it a God given right to a patent for it.
You've got nothing but an opinion. Apple did something. They made something of value, and the lazy and entitled want it for nothing. Proof that it's the best solution out there.
mentholiptus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:49 PM   #34
4God
macrumors 68000

Sounds like someone's getting paid off...
4God is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:51 PM   #35
bbeagle
macrumors 68000

Quote:
These threads will stop when Apple stops bully suing with invalid, frivolous patents.
These threads will stop when people stop accusing Apple of suing with invalid, frivolous patents.

Ah, the Internet.
bbeagle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:51 PM   #36
amptech
macrumors newbie

OO OO OO Tell us who it was!!!!!?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
So cool, yet not invented by Apple in Cupertino California. I've seen pinch to zoom implemented before 2007. It was done with two index fingers, but the gesture itself and idea behind it was exactly the same. Doing it with an index finger and a thumb, the preferred iOS method, is functionally identical.

That's the major point of this thread, not who copied who, but who invented what and owns the rights to it.
amptech is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:51 PM   #37
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentholiptus View Post
exactly.

You've got nothing but an opinion. Apple did something. They made something of value, and the lazy and entitled want it for nothing. Proof that it's the best solution out there.
They don't want it for nothing, and they're not stealing it from Apple after they supposedly spent billions of dollars in research figuring out the intricacies of pinch to zoom.

The gesture had been displayed long before Apple first showed it on the iPhone. The whole concept of multitouch and all the amazing things you could do with it has a long, storied history stretching back to at least the early 80's. The biggest problem here isn't other companies stealing from Apple, rather Apple getting credit for something they didn't invent themselves.
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:52 PM   #38
Stella
macrumors 603

Irrelevant - it doesn't matter whether or not a patent has been commercialized to be valid or invalid.

Quote:
What companies shipped consumer products that included pinch to zoom as a feature? Please, list links to these products, companies, and patents.

Quote:
Yes, so there would be a case of prior art. If Apple's implementation differs then Apple's patent would be valid.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:52 PM   #39
Peppa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4God View Post
hahaha let's all get out our tinfoil hats
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:53 PM   #40
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Thx.

Here, go to 33:40, and note the reaction of the viewers.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72uTrA5EDY
Just because Apple users don't know much about computer research doesn't mean nothing else exists:

Quote:
Multi-touch technology began in 1982, when the University of Toronto's Input Research Group developed the first human-input multi-touch system. The system used a frosted-glass panel with a camera placed behind the glass. When a finger or several fingers pressed on the glass, the camera would detect the action as one or more black spots on an otherwise white background, allowing it to be registered as an input. Since the size of a dot was dependent on pressure (how hard the person was pressing on the glass), the system was somewhat pressure-sensitive as well.[2]

In 1983, Bell Labs at Murray Hill published a comprehensive discussion of touch-screen based interfaces.[6] In 1984, Bell Labs engineered a touch screen that could change images with more than one hand. In 1985, the University of Toronto group including Bill Buxton developed a multi-touch tablet that used capacitance rather than bulky camera-based optical sensing systems.[2]

Sears et al. (1990)[7] gave a review of academic research on single and multi-touch touchscreen human–computer interaction of the time, describing single touch gestures such as rotating knobs, swiping the screen to activate a switch (or a U-shaped gesture for a toggle switch), and touchscreen keyboards (including a study that showed that users could type at 25 wpm for a touchscreen keyboard compared with 58 wpm for a standard keyboard, with multi-touch hypothesized to improve data entry rate); multitouch gestures such as selecting a range of a line, connecting objects, and a "tap-click" gesture to select while maintaining location with another finger are also described.

A breakthrough occurred in 1991, when Pierre Wellner published a paper on his multi-touch "Digital Desk", which supported multi-finger and pinching motions.[8][9]
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch
SomeDudeAsking is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:53 PM   #41
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by amptech View Post
OO OO OO Tell us who it was!!!!!?????
I first saw it for a demo for the Microsoft Surface (table, not tablet) back in 2006. They had a guy sorting through photos and zooming them in and out on their prototype touchscreen displays.
Renzatic is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:57 PM   #42
G51989
Banned

Quote:
The 1st Microsoft Surface, not only had multi touch. But multi touch for multiple users at the same time

Multi Touch dates back to the early 80s
G51989 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:57 PM   #43
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
While I vaguely recall a couple that have been linked on here from smaller companies, it's irrelevant. This patent isn't for "a phone with a class of multitouch capabilities". Even translated into technical language, such a patent wouldn't hold up due to broadness. It's just back to the idea that commercial success should equate to ownership of the concept, which isn't really logical.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:02 PM   #44
amptech
macrumors newbie

mmmm found your reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc

few years off. BUT in the good nature of debate, Yes it would take more than 2 years to duplicate the technology from *someone* no matter how frequent the offender offends... Never saw the pinch to zoom, did see some other cool effects that aren't out there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I first saw it for a demo for the Microsoft Surface (table, not tablet) back in 2006. They had a guy sorting through photos and zooming them in and out on their prototype touchscreen displays.
amptech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:03 PM   #45
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Again with the "Apple did it better than the guys before so Apple should be awarded their patent"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppa View Post
That's not the way patenting works...
It is on MacRumors with the Armchair lawyers.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:04 PM   #46
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

some posters appear to be tech enthusiast n00bs
uknowimright is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:09 PM   #47
blahblah100
macrumors regular

Quote:

Ah, the irony...
blahblah100 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:12 PM   #48
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by amptech View Post
mmmm found your reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxk_WywMTzc

few years off. BUT in the good nature of debate, Yes it would take more than 2 years to duplicate the technology from *someone* no matter how frequent the offender offends... Never saw the pinch to zoom, did see some other cool effects that aren't out there yet.
While this isn't the one I was originally talking about, this video from May 30th, 2007 shows off some of the tech I mentioned earlier. It's a usual dry and kinda boring MS presentation, but skip ahead to around the 4 minute mark. You see a lady playing with a bunch of photos, and it includes a form of pinch to zoom.
Renzatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:12 PM   #49
blahblah100
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4God View Post
Agreed, I'm just not sure if it's Judge Koh, the jury, or both...
blahblah100 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:12 PM   #50
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Taking ownership of pinch-to-zoom or singing Happy Birthday publically is as ridiculous as patenting sit-to-poop.
brdeveloper is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion