Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:26 PM   #51
teejaysyke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdeveloper View Post
Taking ownership of pinch-to-zoom or singing Happy Birthday publically is as ridiculous as patenting sit-to-poop.
Don't give apple anymore ideas for patents.
teejaysyke is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:29 PM   #52
Moshe1010
macrumors 6502a

Let's hope Apple would lose on any other lawsuit they file. I just start to hate this company even though I love their products.
Moshe1010 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:33 PM   #53
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentholiptus View Post
What companies shipped consumer products that included pinch to zoom as a feature? Please, list links to these products, companies, and patents.

Thx.

Here, go to 33:40, and note the reaction of the viewers.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72uTrA5EDY
Trained seals.
dalbir4444 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:38 PM   #54
iphoneclassic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4God View Post
Sounds like someone's getting paid off...
When a company proves itself as patent troll, USPTO tend to pay close attention to its patent applications.
iphoneclassic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:41 PM   #55
Lancer
macrumors 68000

I just want to know if this will affect the end user, or would it mean Apple (and others) paying to use the technologies?
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:52 PM   #56
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

"Pinch to zoom" is commonplace in all competing smartphones that people often forget that without Apple the technology would never have become mainstream. With that being said it should be licensed out as a FRAND patent. It just seems like such common sense now, not one company should hold the key to it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:55 PM   #57
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTX View Post
"Pinch to zoom" is commonplace in all competing smartphones that people often forget that without Apple the technology would never have become mainstream. With that being said it should be licensed out as a FRAND patent. It just seems like such common sense now, not one company should hold the key to it.
Apple didn't invent pinch to zoom. See all the posts above. Apple is basically stealing credit for the work other companies did.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 PM   #58
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Yeah, I'm sure that it was Samsung who invented the idea of modern post-2007 smartphone... Apple copied Samsung, it must be. /s
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:15 PM   #59
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentholiptus View Post
There are hundreds of other ways to zoom in and out, but pinch to zoom is by far the best/coolest/most natural, and everyone else wants it. Apple nailed it, and no one else wants to settle for less.

When Apple showed it for the first time, people ooh'd, ahh'd, clapped, whistled, and cheered, because it was THAT good. It had a huge impact, and it took years before anyone else had an OS that could hold a candle to iOS.

Now, everyone who copied the original, and was late to the party, wants what Apple has. But they don't want to work for it. They just want it. They feel entitled to it. They could use sliders UI's, knob UI's, they could swipe, use a magnifying glass like Adobe, etc, but no, it has to be Apple's method, because it's established (by the iPhone) as the best.

Lame. People say they want competition, then bitch because they've got nothing to bring to the table. They want to compete by making iPhones, rebranding them, and then pitting them against the iPhone. There's no argument that justifies anything else. It's all BS.

Go to 33:40, and see it for the first time on any consumer device, ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72uTrA5EDY
Microsoft surface was demod more than a year before this with full pinch to zoom functionality.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:21 PM   #60
teejaysyke
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that it was Samsung who invented the idea of modern post-2007 smartphone... Apple copied Samsung, it must be. /s
Just because Apple brought smartphones to market, doesn't mean touch screens with pinch to zoom weren't around before....
teejaysyke is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:21 PM   #61
swy05
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
What does Apples bold claims of creating pinch to zoom have to do with Samsung?

I know you hate Samsung with a passion (im sorry it sounds like Samsung raped your family and burned your house down) but your anger is well....hahaha.

We could be talking about how beautiful the weather is and youll be talking about how much you hate Samsung.

I never understood the people on this board who vehemently hate a company. Its so laughable.
swy05 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:27 PM   #62
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by swy05 View Post
What does Apples bold claims of creating pinch to zoom have to do with Samsung?

I know you hate Samsung with a passion (im sorry it sounds like Samsung raped your family and burned your house down) but your anger is well....hahaha.

We could be talking about how beautiful the weather is and youll be talking about how much you hate Samsung.

I never understood the people on this board who vehemently hate a company. Its so laughable.
Completely agree with you. Some people have been trained well to hate Samsung. I don't think they even understand why they hate Samsung.
dalbir4444 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:28 PM   #63
macsmurf
macrumors 65816

A reenactment of the Samsung vs Apple trial ca. 1990

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM5_dgKDsrc

The kids in the hall obviously have a good case against both companies here. Or maybe not
macsmurf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:30 PM   #64
canucksfan88
macrumors 6502

good. there is no way pinch to zoom should be patentable
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:31 PM   #65
Konrad
macrumors 6502

I practiced pinch to zoom on my women way before Apple existed. And I shared it with everyone.
Konrad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:34 PM   #66
hakime
macrumors newbie

It's very important to understand here that no Apple's patent has ever been invalidated so far. The USPTO has just issued a tentative of invalidation which actually rarely succeeds totally (i.e., all patent claims being invalidated) or at all as Apple has all right to respond to that. Right now these are ex parte reexaminations triggered by a request which were filed anonymously. And by anonymously we all know that at least one of those anonymous parties is Google. On top of that, in the case at hand (pinch to zoom patent), some of the rejections are based on rather doubtful theories.

So if we look at all of this, we've got Apple to successfully patent ideas that have changed the mobile industry and allowed competitors like Samsung and Google to ride on these successful innovations and ideas (that none of them have never implemented before) to considerably enrich themselves. And "successful" is key here as no one care of unsuccessful patents whether they are valid or not.

Now that Apple has decided to protect its investments, "anonymous" companies have decided to lobby the USPTO against Apple's patents so that they can continue to use innovations that they did not first deploy to real products.

Last edited by hakime; Dec 19, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
hakime is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:47 PM   #67
JoeG4
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to JoeG4 Send a message via AIM to JoeG4
Fingerworks existed (and made really weird looking multitouch surface keyboards) for quite a while before Apple bought them. However, prior to capacitive touchscreens it wouldn't have been easy to make a multitouch SCREEN because that technology hit the market RIGHT before the iPhone came out....

Which is probably why it came out when it did.

Because apple pioneered using multitouch screens, lots of people think that Apple invented the tech.. I don't think they did. They did however, buy out a company that used quite a bit of it.

I'm pretty sure there are movies where expanding views by dragging a corner to see more existed long before the iphone did.

I'm also pretty sure that there were many programs before the iphone, where if you stretched the program window, the content inside 'zoomed'/grew in size to fit the size of the window, MANY GAMES DID THAT.

Therefore it does seem kinda unsurprising that dragging similarly on a screen would zoom in and out to me.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:52 PM   #68
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakime View Post
Now that Apple has decided to protect its investments, "anonymous" companies have decided to lobby the USPTO against Apple's patents so that they can continue to use innovations that they did not first deploy to real products.
I doubt it was just Google alone. I'd say the Illuminati had something to do with it. Probably while in cahoots with those wily Freemasons out scheming like they always do below Denver International Airport.

Also FEMA. They can suspend the constitution, you know. That's what they plan on doing once they've stolen enough innovations.
Renzatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:59 PM   #69
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Apple should just buy the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Bubba Satori is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:32 PM   #70
Stridder44
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
These threads will stop when Apple stops bully suing with invalid, frivolous patents.
When did this become such an Android fanboy forum?
Stridder44 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:32 PM   #71
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Apple should just buy the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Your joking right?
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:41 PM   #72
erzhik
macrumors 6502

So, one question remains.. Who the hell approved these patents in the first place? Someone who was paid by Apple? Someone who is a die hard apple fan?
erzhik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:41 PM   #73
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Ok, first: read a patent before screaming about how wrong it is. "Pinch-to-zoom" isn't even claimed in this patent, so we can stop all the back and forth over who pinched first.

Fundamentally this is about distinguishing between scrolling and multi-touch gestures. What's claimed doesn't strike me as mind blowing, but let's at least argue about the right stuff...

That said, our patent system is horribly broken. The Patent Office no longer has the capacity to really review anything. They use the same strategy health insurance uses-- reject everything, and if the customer pushes back maybe they have something.

The fact that we have a system where patents can be issued as valid, businesses can be built on them, and then the PTO can read it a second time and say "huh, now that we think about it this is crap" is just embarrassing...

Last edited by Analog Kid; Dec 19, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Analog Kid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:46 PM   #74
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44 View Post
I have literally seen you post this exact statement over five times. I'd like to ask you a question. Where in his post did he mention Android?
dalbir4444 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:03 PM   #75
xanagu
Banned

epic roflmao

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridder44 View Post
Since 75% of smartphones over the world use Android, there is no such thing as a free-android place
xanagu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion