Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Marrakas
macrumors 6502

Carriers dictating personal hotspot usage

I just wanted to make this short post.

Don't you think it's absolutely obnoxious that carriers dictate everything that has to do with sharing your data plan on a personal hotspot on your iPhones?
Why is that they limit it to just certain plans (usually the most expensive ones) and even then you have to pay extra each month to unlock the hotspot feature?

If I pay for 2GB a month, which for at&t or verizon will approximately set me back a ridiculous $40 a month, why are they so afraid that I choose when and where to use that data? I have paid for the data, why do they care if I use it on my phone or my iPad? I find this absolutely unacceptable, and it angers me that they are allowed to control this.

Personal hotspot should be a feature of the phone, regardless of carrier intervention.
Marrakas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:36 PM   #2
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrakas View Post
I just wanted to make this short post.

Don't you think it's absolutely obnoxious that carriers dictate everything that has to do with sharing your data plan on a personal hotspot on your iPhones?
Why is that they limit it to just certain plans (usually the most expensive ones) and even then you have to pay extra each month to unlock the hotspot feature?

If I pay for 2GB a month, which for at&t or verizon will approximately set me back a ridiculous $40 a month, why are they so afraid that I choose when and where to use that data? I have paid for the data, why do they care if I use it on my phone or my iPad? I find this absolutely unacceptable, and it angers me that they are allowed to control this.

Personal hotspot should be a feature of the phone, regardless of carrier intervention.
I couldn't agree more with you. The large carriers continue to find more and more ways to wring money out of consumer's pockets by implementing these completely unreasonable data plans, and requirements.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:57 PM   #3
Nermal

I agree, and I wouldn't join any carrier that used restrictions like that. I'm not too familiar with the US market but I believe that Straight Talk is regarded as being a "good" carrier.

Having said that, Apple deserves some of the blame for allowing the restrictions in the first place.
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Money grab! This shouldn't surprise you.

But I completely agree.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion