Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anish3232

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Lexington, KY
LTE is live in Lexington, KY, seems like it went live this afternoon. Lexington was never mentioned in any press releases etc.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I noticed it in the Westport, Fall River, Somerset area of MA today. I looked at my phone and thought I was seeing things. Much faster than 4G!!! Of course it cut off 3-4 miles from my house! Hopefully it expands more soon!

AppleBoyFreak

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
Kentucky
Elizabethtown is still running on just "4G" which is actually just their HSPA+. I don't understand why we don't have LTE yet considering almost everyone here has an iPhone on AT&T. :rolleyes:

TSKY74

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
Good to see LTE in Lex, but speeds aren't so impressive. Hit 7.26Mbps (4G hit 4.98Mbps) just now and the highest I've hit was about 23Mbps.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Good to see LTE in Lex, but speeds aren't so impressive. Hit 7.26Mbps (4G hit 4.98Mbps) just now and the highest I've hit was about 23Mbps.

I have to agree with this. While it's definitely faster than "4G", it's not nearly as fast as I thought it would be. I'm seeing roughly what you said...around 5-8 Mbps (whereas I'm usually around 3-5 Mbps on 4G). I chalk it up to more LTE phones being out there now (iPhone 5, S3's, Atrix HD's, etc). Maybe we'll see the speeds pick up eventually. But I've been underwhelmed so far.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Update on this.

I talked to a guy at the AT&T store on Richmond Rd and we were talking about the LTE now being live. He brought up, without my prompting, that I may notice the speeds aren't outrageously fast and I said I had noticed that. He said its because the local towers aren't controlled by AT&T (whereas they are in Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville), so there are more hoops to jump through and the speeds are part of these hoops. So our LTE here is "dumbed down" next to these other markets. Kinda sucks, and take it with a grain of salt, but that's why our speeds aren't as fast as the other close-by markets.

TSKY74

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
Update on this.

I talked to a guy at the AT&T store on Richmond Rd and we were talking about the LTE now being live. He brought up, without my prompting, that I may notice the speeds aren't outrageously fast and I said I had noticed that. He said its because the local towers aren't controlled by AT&T (whereas they are in Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville), so there are more hoops to jump through and the speeds are part of these hoops. So our LTE here is "dumbed down" next to these other markets. Kinda sucks, and take it with a grain of salt, but that's why our speeds aren't as fast as the other close-by markets.

If ours are slow, Nashville wasn't much faster. Hit just about 20Mbps yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.