Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:07 AM   #1
XPcentric
macrumors regular

I dont understand what I can use AirPort Utility for ?

I opened Airport Utility, and I found an Airport Express, which has a name, and IP which is not mine, and a MAC address. I dont understand if that is my Airport card or is someone else's device ?

I stumbled upon this issue because I want to share my Ethernet connection using the built in WiFi, but the problem is another Windows 8 PC cant connect to my WiFi if I put a WEP password.
XPcentric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 05:13 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba

AirPort Utility is for managing the AirPort Express, the AirPort Extreme and the Time Capsule. If you have neither, you do not need it. If you see AirPort devices listed in there, then that is due to them being close by, but you need a password to manage them anyway.

As for sharing the Ethernet connection via WiFi, all you use is System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing and set it up. Maybe try a WPA or WPA 2 encryption, if Windows 8 cannot connect to a WEP protected wireless LAN, WEP is quite old anyway.
simsaladimbamba is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking