Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Although ESPN's popular ScoreCenter app for iPad recently received a refresh including a visual makeover, the iPhone version had remained the same and continued to lack support for the taller iPhone 5 display for nearly three months after the device's debut. That changed today as ESPN released a completely redesigned app that takes cues from the iPad version. ESPN released the following statement about the new app:
Today, ESPN launched new versions of its highly popular ScoreCenter app for iOS and Android devices. Completely redesigned and optimized for iPhone 5, iPad and new Android smartphones, ScoreCenter serves sports fans with personalized scoreboards, alerts, breaking news and video highlights of their favorite teams and leagues from around the world. With simplified navigation, as well as live, integrated Gamecasts and links to WatchESPN, ScoreCenter makes it easier than ever for fans to follow up-to-the-minute sports news and information wherever, whenever. Other key features:

- Expanded game views providing in-depth game coverage
- Live scoring alerts for favorite teams and personalized match-ups sent directly to your device
- Calendar navigation, enabling access to previous scores and upcoming games
- Ability to share favorite games, videos and news with friends
mzl.hawpmjph.320x480-75.jpg
The updated version of the free ScoreCenter app is now available for download in the App Store [Direct Link]

Article Link: ESPN Releases Redesigned 'ScoreCenter' App for iPhone

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Why do I have to sing in? What possible benefit could there be for ESPN to force me to do that??...if I want to personalize stuff, I know I'm not being "forced" to do anything.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Now that Siri is supporting sports, I've since dropped ScoreCenter and switched to Yahoo's Sportacular. It's nice being able to check a score with Siri and then tap on the score to open Sportacular to get the details of the game.

I do however use WatchESPN now that my cable company supports it. That is a very handy app.

jsep

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Carlsbad, CA
You can't click the teams logo to get detailed info about the team.
You have to login to set favorite teams.
If you even graze the ad in the bottom (like when you're trying to swipe up), it takes you to safari then the app store. Fun!
The ad is huge.
The Game view is awful with 2 giant rows just for the team and score and then a super tiny scroll window for the info about the game. (this is where i hit the ad a lot).
Recap & Stats are webviews.

Deleted and am even more happy with Yahoo! Sportacular now. At least in the old version it had the unique cards layout ... now it's just a red bad copy of Sportacular.

negrohero9

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
D[M]V
Now that Siri is supporting sports, I've since dropped ScoreCenter and switched to Yahoo's Sportacular. It's nice being able to check a score with Siri and then tap on the score to open Sportacular to get the details of the game.

I do however use WatchESPN now that my cable company supports it. That is a very handy app.

I do exactly this! Sportacular has been amazing so I no longer use ScoreCenter. And asking Siri about a score is a no brainer.

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
I am so dissatisfied with the new version of this app. I will NOT be updating it on my iPhone, boy I sure wish I could fall back to the old version on my iPad. I am sight impaired and the iPad is so much easier for me to see.

Thank you for the tip on Yahoo! Sportacular !!

Just goes to show you new is not always improved.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
It may not be better than sportacular, but its definitely better than that old junk

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
That long ad is annoying as (f) in the new version! Ugh. The jail break needs to hurry up so I can get rid of ads in apps.

They made the iphone version just like the iPad version, I see. I like the new layout, just not the ads.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
hhhmmm after reading this thread I may have to check out sportacular, I've always used scorecenter for sports scores... But maybe the grass is greener.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
The whole business of having to register in order to add favourite teams and customise alerts for them is nonsense. They did it with the iPad app first and now iPhone version. No chance I'm giving them my email and other details.

huntermaclean

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
The link provided in the article is for the iPhone version. The iPad version still dates from November. I hate the iPad version whenever I try to select dates during the week to check on games I have no idea what I'm going to get. In other words, it doesn't work!

Stick with Sportacular.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

sportacular is still the best of the bunch IMHO

Yes, it looks better, but Sportacular beats even this new version down. Sportacular is better in every way, lol.

+ 1 Sportacular all the way.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
This was a much needed update for the app. I hated swiping through multiple panes to get to a sport. Now I can just tap the bookmark type icon on the upper left to access different sports.

tfigs

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
Too late. Already switched

Sorry ESPN. You took too long to update. I checked out Yahoo! Sportstacular and loved it! Much easier navigation and also used by Siri.

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
I've always used scorecenter until this new update. Looks nice but not as easy to move around in plus I'm not setting up an account just to modify my teams. Thanks for the tip on Sportacular, just installed it and it looks like it will do everything I want it to and easy to maneuver around on.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I like the new update actually, better than scrolling 5 times to get scores.

Not a fan of having to sign in to make changes tho.

sherrie.melton5

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
RE: 'ScoreCenter' App for iPhone

ESPN ScoreCenter brings you scores, news and standings from sports leagues around the world. It is easy to follow our favorite teams anytime, anywhere. We can stay up to date on the latest scores with personalized scoreboards and alerts. Thanks to Sports App developers for such a wonderful app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.