Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:42 AM   #1
groovearchive
macrumors newbie

New iMac 27" - Image Ghosting Issue?

Setup my 27inch last night and I'm in crunch mode on a couple projects so I've been working it pretty hard with CS6 running in the background and Coda2 and Safari in the forefront. Add a little VLC player in the corner to keep my ADD in check and I've been very happily multitasking on this puppy all day.

Suddenly though.. I dragged a window over to where my icon's usually sit on the right side and it looked as though the window was transparent, because my icons were glaring right through.

Then I started noticing artifacts everywhere and a specifically strong pattern of CS6's transparency pattern (checkerboard) floating on my desktop.

Now, its been 15 minutes since I noticed the problem, and it appears to be dissipating. But, it was pretty intense when i first noticed it. I don't have the backlight higher than 1/2 as its late.

However, now that I've had this safari window open for about five minutes, its starting to ghost my screen as well. If i drag my black Term window in front of it... there is some very noticeable striping from the lighter components of this page.

My question is... is this normal? I expect this is going to make image editing a real chore.

Last edited by groovearchive; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: additional question
groovearchive is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:48 AM   #2
iWas
macrumors newbie

There seems to be a number of reports of ghosting on the new imacs. Kinda ******, but it may be something that is considered normal if under a certain amount. If it was my computer I would try and get is replaced with a new one and see if anything changes.
iWas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:53 AM   #3
groovearchive
macrumors newbie

Yeah, its pretty bad right now. I'm not happy at all. Will take a video and post it tomorrow.
groovearchive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:19 AM   #4
scruby
macrumors member

Dont waste your time here. Send it back to apple for a replacement
scruby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:11 AM   #5
Spoiled
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovearchive View Post
Yeah, its pretty bad right now. I'm not happy at all. Will take a video and post it tomorrow.
I really wanna see that video.
Spoiled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:51 AM   #6
groovearchive
macrumors newbie

Hours later and the issue seems to have gone away as quickly as it started. I do have a video and a couple pictures of the behaviour.

WIll see about posting them.
groovearchive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:40 AM   #7
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

After seeing reports of ghosting I have been looking for it on mine but have not seen any.
bigcat318 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a

I started a thread a few days ago about the same issue. It seems that several of us have the problem. My local store doesn't have any in stock so I haven't initiated a return yet. I don't want to play a lottery with panels, so if this is a widespread issue I may just return the 2012 and pick up a 2011 refurb. This problem is very frustrating.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1509571
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:47 PM   #9
vingi
macrumors newbie

I have had exactly the same issues after installing Guild Wars (and leaving the installer run overnight) on my late 2009 iMac. So I don't think this is specific for the 2012 iMac. The ghosting disappeared after a few days.

Last edited by vingi; Dec 20, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
vingi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:49 AM   #10
kevingalls
macrumors newbie

Replicating the ghosting issue

I unboxed and setup my new 27" iMac 2 days ago and have noticed this issue big time. Here's what I noticed, and you can try it to replicate the issue. Open up Illustrator CS6. Create a white blank canvas, and type large black letters across the screen, "HELLO WORLD."

Wait 10 - 20 minutes and then fill the screen with a mid-grey tone color. (I did this by space+dragging my canvas, because Illustrator CS6 uses a mid grey as the background color.

Voila and very noticeable and annoying shape burned into the screen where the grey is. I had a new iMac in 2009 that had similar ghosting issues, and even faded in one corner of the screen. That iMac eventually normalized after a month or two. I'm going to give this new one 2 weeks before making a decision whether or not to return it.
kevingalls is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:58 AM   #11
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingalls View Post
Open up Illustrator CS6. Create a white blank canvas, and type large black letters across the screen, "HELLO WORLD."

Wait 10 - 20 minutes and then fill the screen with a mid-grey tone color. (I did this by space+dragging my canvas, because Illustrator CS6 uses a mid grey as the background color.
sounds like a lotta trouble to go through to find a problem . Enjoy Your New iMac

Last edited by mushroomtip; Feb 28, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
mushroomtip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:58 PM   #12
AppleNewton
macrumors 65816

the image persistence occurs even when not using graphic or display heavy applications, ive had it with mail.app and safari.
could be patched up with a firmware update or revision to their panels, this is not normal condition for an LCD and wasn't QA'd enough.

Tested again 2011 27" iMacs, Apple Cinema displays and MacBook Pros with no result in image persistence/ghosting.
AppleNewton is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013, 07:58 AM   #13
darkejon
macrumors newbie

Seems to be very common

Had this issue with new 27" iMac ordered. Reported to Apple and service was amazing getting a replacement to me, allowing me to keep both whileI transfer data, and sent guy to collect old one once I was ready. But replacement has the same issue, If anything it is worse. Going to try again, but not hopeful I'll get one without this issue.
darkejon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac