Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:47 AM   #1
gagaliya
macrumors regular

Do you leave your iMac on 24/7? or turn off at night

Coming from the PC world, i havent turned off my computer in 3 years, except during hurricane sandy and 1 other time where there is a power outage. My pc is on 24/7 for pretty much 3 years straight, as i have instant message and various server software running on it.

So with this imac, it looks so delicate.. i am afraid to leave it on like that. Of course i will turn off the display, but currently i have computer sleep = never, do you think i can just leave it like that for the next couple of years? just turning off the display at night but leave imac on with sleep = never.

What does everyone else do?
gagaliya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2
torana355
macrumors 65816

My 2008 iMac stayed on 24/7 from the day i got it till the 17th of Dec when my new 2012 iMac arrived. I didn't even put it to sleep, only the display. My new iMac will get the same treatment.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3
annk
Administrator

I almost always just sleep my Macs, and have done so since my very first, a PowerBook in 2004.

I will occasionally restart if things seem to be slow or weird, but that's not often. I only turn them off if I'm going to be gone for more than a day or two.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:52 AM   #4
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
I almost always just sleep my Macs, and have done so since my very first, a PowerBook in 2004.

I will occasionally restart if things seem to be slow or weird, but that's not often. I only turn them off if I'm going to be gone for more than a day or two.
I think the OP is asking if people just sleep the display, not the iMac itself.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:30 AM   #5
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I put my Mac to sleep once I go to bed. Hardly ever shut down. It don't take much power this way but boot very fast.
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:47 AM   #6
NVRENUF!
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to NVRENUF!
It should be fine to run,
I turn mine off at night and when i goto work but it sleeps when im home etc .

Remember at the end of the day its just electronics. The more they are on generating heat the more chance of something going wrong.

not to say it will but its just increasing the risk.

if i dont need it running i dont see the point in leaving it on using power and using having components on all the time.

with ssd it take 5 secs to boot anyway so its hardly an issue.
NVRENUF! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:49 AM   #7
Macman45
macrumors G5

My IMac runs 24 / 7....It just goes to sleep after a set period of inactivity...Wakes for network access, and only gets a re- boot if software updates require it. It's fine to leave them on.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:54 AM   #8
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
My IMac runs 24 / 7....It just goes to sleep after a set period of inactivity...Wakes for network access, and only gets a re- boot if software updates require it. It's fine to leave them on.
I do the same. I've had my iMac for 4 1/2 years and the only time it's been shut down is when I go away on holiday.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:04 AM   #9
annk
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
I think the OP is asking if people just sleep the display, not the iMac itself.
Ah, in that case, I have the screen set to sleep after a certain number of minutes.
annk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:12 AM   #10
mihai.ile
macrumors member

I usually turn off or put to sleep when not using the computer, I kind of feel bad wasting all that electricity for nothing important really. When setting up a server, I usually pay a lot of attention on the electricity all the components use since it is not going to be used at full capacity all the time, for more power uses of a server I just set up a virtual hosting somewhere and that's it.

Don't forget to think about all this electricity being wasted by leaving all your electronic equipment always on, not to mention that you are shortening the life of the equipment with (in most situations) no reason at all...
mihai.ile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:30 AM   #11
trent75
macrumors newbie

The question is how much electricity it costs to leave it on 24/7?
trent75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:45 AM   #12
MetzoPaino
macrumors member

When I'm not using it I turn it off.
MetzoPaino is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:51 AM   #13
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

I used to keep it on only because my old one took forever to close everything and shut down and to boot and open everything

The new one boots and everything is open in a minute and same for closing/shutting down, so I turn it off at night.

I've also now got a TB display in addition to the other external display so I assume I'd use a lot of power keeping it all on
mchoffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:52 AM   #14
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Why would you have to keep it on all the time is it just because you can't be bothered to turn it on each morning?

It wastes electricity and might prematurely age the computer so yeah I'll turn it off while I'm sleeping and out of the house.
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:00 AM   #15
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfunkt View Post
Why would you have to keep it on all the time is it just because you can't be bothered to turn it on each morning?

It wastes electricity and might prematurely age the computer so yeah I'll turn it off while I'm sleeping and out of the house.
I use mine as a media server and i always have torrents running on it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:13 AM   #16
HardcoreWally
macrumors newbie

Since I got my 2007 iMac towards the end of that year, it had been pretty much on 24/7, save for a times like being on the other side of Australia or out of the country for 3-4 weeks at a time.
Same settings, computer sleep = never, display sleep I usually have set to 1 minute.
Now I've got the new 2012 iMac and I have shut it down a few times but with a SSD in it, boot up & shut down is so damn quick.
HardcoreWally is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:13 AM   #17
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfunkt View Post

I'm not talking a couple minutes, but sometimes 10 or more minutes to close everything and shut down, waiting endlessly for spinning beach balls to stop. The same thing happened for booting. I just got tired of dealing with that every morning and night, so letting it go to sleep was a much easier option for me. I really didn't like spending 20-30 minutes each day to shut down and boot a computer
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:17 AM   #18
XofDyer
macrumors member

My 2006 mac mini takes about 20 minutes to shut down 6-7 programs and then the OS, so it doesn't get shut down often. I'm hoping the newly order iMac will be easier to close down.
XofDyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:18 AM   #19
Sodner
macrumors 68000

Leave both on 24x7.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:46 AM   #20
tyche
macrumors regular

I set it to go to sleep during inactivity. When I going to bed or leaving for a period of time, I force it to sleep and turn off my wifi keyboard (switch on top so easy) because the keyboard seems to send wake commands at weird times
tyche is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:51 AM   #21
iKnackwurst
macrumors member

I just activated sleep mode on my old one, but on the new one with the Fusion Drive i see no need to because it boots in under 15 seconds and loads everything extremely fast.
iKnackwurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:01 AM   #22
baxlobs
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent75 View Post
The question is how much electricity it costs to leave it on 24/7?
A reader of MacFormat asked this question which is answered in the latest Xmas issue.

"A 27inch iMac uses 1.36W in sleep mode compared with 0.45W in soft-off."

The energy consumption is tiny, and you save a little time when resuming.

In UK terms this would amount to saving 1p for every 83 hours that the iMac is switched off.

If you are really worried about costs then make sure you unplug all your other electronic devices, TV, DVD recorder etc. They probably use far more power in standby than the iMac.
baxlobs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:12 AM   #23
mihai.ile
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlobs View Post
A reader of MacFormat asked this question which is answered in the latest Xmas issue.

"A 27inch iMac uses 1.36W in sleep mode compared with 0.45W in soft-off."

The energy consumption is tiny, and you save a little time when resuming.

In UK terms this would amount to saving 1p for every 83 hours that the iMac is switched off.

If you are really worried about costs then make sure you unplug all your other electronic devices, TV, DVD recorder etc. They probably use far more power in standby than the iMac.
The problem is leaving the pc ON but just with the screen turned off, it is very different. Of course having the thing in sleep mode is like having it almost turned off. That is not the issue here.
mihai.ile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:15 AM   #24
mchoffa
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by XofDyer View Post
My 2006 mac mini takes about 20 minutes to shut down 6-7 programs and then the OS, so it doesn't get shut down often. I'm hoping the newly order iMac will be easier to close down.
Sounds just like my 2008 iMac as posted above. You should get 20-30 seconds bootups and shut downs, assuming you've got fusion or SSD in the new iMac like I do.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:05 AM   #25
lucasfunkt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
I'm not talking a couple minutes, but sometimes 10 or more minutes to close everything and shut down, waiting endlessly for spinning beach balls to stop. The same thing happened for booting. I just got tired of dealing with that every morning and night, so letting it go to sleep was a much easier option for me. I really didn't like spending 20-30 minutes each day to shut down and boot a computer

I've never taken more than 2 minutes to shut down a computer. You're current one must be ancient.
lucasfunkt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac