Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:31 PM   #1
xayx
macrumors newbie

Please help urgent!!!! iMac can't read internal disk

Hello everyone,

I am sitting helpless with a non working new imac and i have no idea what to do.
I have a 3 tb hardrive imac and i wanted to install windows on it.
Since bootcamp dont support 3tb, i followed some instructions that i fount on one of threads here. I deleted some volume disk and when i tried to create a bootcamp disk(these were all done on recovery mode with terminal) the terminal would give me an error couldn't unmount disk and i accidentally quit terminal so i don't have any disk information anymore. I tried to install osx but the imac can't read any internal disk. what should i do.
Is the any way to turn my imac to factory default??

Last edited by xayx; Jan 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
xayx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:34 PM   #2
2012Tony2012
macrumors 6502a

Bootcamp made my iMac unbootable and I will never touch bootcamp again

I had to restore the iMac using the original DVD.
2012Tony2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:37 PM   #3
xayx
macrumors newbie

I didn't use bootcamp...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:52 PM   #4
simsaladimbamba

You have to perform a clean install via Internet Recovery (CMD+R after startup) probably.

As for doing such things, next time create a bootable clone via CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! and an external HDD.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the button below your message.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:06 PM   #5
xayx
macrumors newbie

Thanks the hard drive was named as untitled after doing all the things in terminal so i erased the untitled disk in disk utility and tried to see if the disk showed in reinstall mountain lion or not and it showed!! So im installing mountain lion again and hopefully my imac would work but im not so sure yet since this was a guessed procedure... I'll keep updating in the process
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:54 PM   #6
xayx
macrumors newbie

Update

The imac is running fine now that i reinstalled mountain lion. So i wanted to make sure it was running fine and i hadn't done something to my hard drive or anything. I checked the diskutil coreStorage list in terminal and it couldn't check any logical volume. Is this normal? If not is there any way to fix this?
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:20 PM   #7
icapricorn
macrumors member

If you're still feeling adventurous, there seems to be another way to get bootcamp on a 3TB drive. I have not tried this myself. In fact, I ordered the new iMac purposely with the 1TB fusion so I could use bootcamp without problems. But the link below gives a clear explanation and the steps are not complicated.

http://tinyurl.com/b9njbrf

Last edited by icapricorn; Jan 10, 2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: verb agreement.
icapricorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:48 PM   #8
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

I don't understand why anyone would hose a perfectly good computer or ditch a drive configuration option when you can use a Virtual Machine environment like Parallels or Fusion.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:57 PM   #9
Acorn
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreemanW View Post
I don't understand why anyone would hose a perfectly good computer or ditch a drive configuration option when you can use a Virtual Machine environment like Parallels or Fusion.
because many use windows for gaming. gaming sucks in a virtual machine. The best fps in gaming is by booting into windows natively via bootcamp.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:26 AM   #10
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
because many use windows for gaming. gaming sucks in a virtual machine. The best fps in gaming is by booting into windows natively via bootcamp.
I did not know that . . [/Johnny Carson]

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac