Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:44 AM   #1
mbanewuser
macrumors newbie

Read and Write NTFS in OS X

Hello,

I will receive a new MBA 8GB/128GB/i5 for Christmas. I've always been a windows user. However, both OS X and the portability of the MBA made me decide to switch.
I've always used USB external hard drives to store my data. However, as I've always been a windows user, both my HD are NTFS formatted. My question is: do you any software (free or cheap) that would allow me to read and write NTFS in OS X since I've no other place to store my data and format my HDs in HFS+ or exFAT.

Thanks.
mbanewuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:47 AM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanewuser View Post
Hello,

I will receive a new MBA 8GB/128GB/i5 for Christmas. I've always been a windows user. However, both OS X and the portability of the MBA made me decide to switch.
I've always used USB external hard drives to store my data. However, as I've always been a windows user, both my HD are NTFS formatted. My question is: do you any software (free or cheap) that would allow me to read and write NTFS in OS X since I've no other place to store my data and format my HDs in HFS+ or exFAT.

Thanks.
There is a way to to this in OS X but it seems to have issues, another way is Paragon which is not free.

I gave a link to another thread here, I will try to find it and report as soon as I find it.

Edit 1: If you do a search on this link with this text it will give you lots of hits.

NTFS read write

Edit 2: This link is better, look for the advise from GGJstudios

Last edited by justperry; Dec 20, 2012 at 04:54 AM.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:03 AM   #3
nightmars
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to nightmars
Before Paragon google actually started a project software for NTFS for Macs. Never made it to V1.0, but has always been working for me without a hassle.

It,s not been offered anymore by google directly, maybe needs a bit of google search to find a server to dl it from: ntfs for mac (by google)

Cheers
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:06 AM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Directly-attached storage is one thing.

I have a Windows server on the LAN and am able to read directly from it (as-it wo any add-on), and write is OK too, the only thing I cannot do is to delete something created before, some kind of permission it complaints but I sign on the server with its admin password... weird havent had time to deal with it.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:30 AM   #5
xlii
macrumors 68000

I've used this for years. Always works, has never given me a problem.

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/
xlii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:03 PM   #6
mbanewuser
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot! I'll give a try and/or buy one of them as soon as I get my MBA (Dec 25.)
mbanewuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air