Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

View Poll Results: I am not really happy with my new iMac's ...
Screen: Image retention, Backlight Bleeding, Glare, Not what you hopped... 5 7.94%
CPU: Underperformance, i7 didn't worth the extra $, etc. 2 3.17%
Sound: Speaker performance (especially bass) 6 9.52%
Noises: Buzzing noise, Disk noise, Fan noise or other... 2 3.17%
GPU: Underperforming or not up to what you wanted... 3 4.76%
Repairability 21 33.33%
HDD (not fusion): Performance 7 11.11%
Fusion Drive: Performance, Bootcamp on 3TB 8 12.70%
Poor Delivery Time: Why so much wait ? 22 34.92%
Pricing: Its performing as expected but way overpriced! 17 26.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:02 AM   #1
MasterLibrarian
macrumors member

Question Which is your biggest 2012 iMac disappointment?

So all of you new 21" or 27" owners which is your biggest 2012 iMac disappointment?

come on... there's got to be at least one!

Last edited by MasterLibrarian; Dec 20, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
MasterLibrarian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:05 AM   #2
iWaiting

The long indeterminable wait for it to be built ,with no date to look forward to

just a vague January
iWaiting is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:19 AM   #3
torana355
macrumors 65816

Less upgrade and repair options with screen taped on.
Apple not releasing a fix for 3TB bootcamp.
I love everything else about my 27" iMac!!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:21 AM   #4
boto
macrumors 6502

^ What iWaiting said. I requested a replacement for cosmetic marks behind the screen, yellow tints, and backlight bleeding. Currently I still have possession of the iMac 27" but it pains me to part ways so quickly... I really don't want to wait until January to receive the new unit. However, I am most likely going to return this after a week and a half of use since I have 14 days from the initial day I requested a replacement (Monday).
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:27 AM   #5
philipfreire
macrumors member

see vendor information in user profile
Send a message via ICQ to philipfreire Send a message via AIM to philipfreire Send a message via MSN to philipfreire Send a message via Yahoo to philipfreire Send a message via Skype™ to philipfreire
Quote:
Originally Posted by boto View Post
^ What iWaiting said. I requested a replacement for cosmetic marks behind the screen, yellow tints, and backlight bleeding. Currently I still have possession of the iMac 27" but it pains me to part ways so quickly... I really don't want to wait until January to receive the new unit. However, I am most likely going to return this after a week and a half of use since I have 14 days from the initial day I requested a replacement (Monday).
Call apple. Tell them you need a computer for work. They will allow you to hang on to the unit until your new one comes in and you can then return your defective unit.
philipfreire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:32 AM   #6
81Steven
macrumors regular

Bootcamp on 3TB
81Steven is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:36 AM   #7
Hexley
macrumors 6502a

- Lack of FW800 when all the other non-ultrabook Macs have it.
- It being a (very) late 2012 model instead of a mid 2012 model.
- My having to wait to 2013 for a 2012 model.
Hexley is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:57 AM   #8
bobright
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWaiting View Post
The long indeterminable wait for it to be built ,with no date to look forward to

just a vague January
Basically as mine is flawless my only gripe, or should I say a late December have it now.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:33 AM   #9
fotura
macrumors newbie

Thats it is not vesamountable. Allready bought the wallmountet arm to set everything up
fotura is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotura View Post
Thats it is not vesamountable. Allready bought the wallmountet arm to set everything up
yeah this is a major flaw
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:43 AM   #11
robo456
macrumors regular

actually the one thing that's bothered me since the 2011's was the lack of "target mode" or any kind of adapter that would let me use the imac screen as a monitor for my xbox.

--rob
robo456 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:45 AM   #12
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

The wait (it still isn't built) and the lack of optical drive.
randy98mtu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:39 AM   #13
MasterLibrarian
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post
The wait (it still isn't built) and the lack of optical drive.
Well the optical drive doesn't count in my perspective because we were aware there was no optical drive from, by time they were announced.
The question makes more sense for what you were expecting and finally didn't deliver...
MasterLibrarian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:43 AM   #14
tungstentim
macrumors regular

I can live with the fact that technology moves on and companies change product line ups all the time.

What I didn't like was waiting until almost the end of November to be able to order a new imac. Now i've got it, i'm really pleased. However the wait was just tooooo long.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:09 AM   #15
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLibrarian View Post
Well the optical drive doesn't count in my perspective because we were aware there was no optical drive from, by time they were announced.
The question makes more sense for what you were expecting and finally didn't deliver...
Fair enough. Though then repair-ability and pricing should also be off your list, because I don't think anyone should have expected any different than what we got.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:18 AM   #16
coolosxapps
macrumors 6502a

The wait. It's inexcusable. Apple needs to get their act together. It should NOT take one month to receive a computer.
coolosxapps is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:21 AM   #17
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolosxapps View Post
The wait. It's inexcusable. Apple needs to get their act together. It should NOT take one month to receive a computer.
They wanted to release it as soon as possible, so they did. If they had waited longer, people would complain, though then everyone would get them at the same time. I'm satisfied that they released them and just ship them as they are ready. And no, I don't have mine yet. Still "processing" with a January 2-8 delivery estimate.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:24 AM   #18
coolosxapps
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy98mtu View Post
They wanted to release it as soon as possible, so they did. If they had waited longer, people would complain, though then everyone would get them at the same time. I'm satisfied that they released them and just ship them as they are ready. And no, I don't have mine yet. Still "processing" with a January 2-8 delivery estimate.
No, you're missing my point. I'm not talking about releasing it on time or later. Somewhere along the line, there is a supply problem for the new iMac. There's not enough of a part, it's difficult to design, whatever. Something needs to be fixed. Especially for a luxury company such as Apple, the one month wait time is petty and they should be embarrassed by it.
coolosxapps is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:28 AM   #19
randy98mtu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolosxapps View Post
No, you're missing my point. I'm not talking about releasing it on time or later. Somewhere along the line, there is a supply problem for the new iMac. There's not enough of a part, it's difficult to design, whatever. Something needs to be fixed. Especially for a luxury company such as Apple, the one month wait time is petty and they should be embarrassed by it.
If there is a supply problem this early in a product cycle, it's because someone isn't up to production speed, and holding the release would allow stock piling for the initial shipments and get production up to speed.

Things are hard to get when first released. Demand is high and the production process isn't up to 100% yet. Happens with every product release and I don't see why Apple should be embarrassed by it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:41 AM   #20
jmantn
macrumors member

Wishing I could tilt it down more due to my Desk at home.
jmantn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:44 AM   #21
Razorhog
macrumors 6502a

Out of that list, it's definitely repairability. I know it was a pipe dream to hope that they made the insides user accessible, but it would have been nice.
Razorhog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:51 AM   #22
experimenthouse
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
Out of that list, it's definitely repairability. I know it was a pipe dream to hope that they made the insides user accessible, but it would have been nice.
Agreed. I'm using my 27" right now and absolutely loving it. Haven't had any noticeable issues. I checked the backlighting, and okay…the edges are a bit brighter than the rest. It's not 100% evenly backlit. But I have to strain my eyes to notice, or use a 100% black screen.

I can't find a defect on the thing. Bass is a bit sucky on the speakers (but as if you'd expect them to be serious speakers), but I can use it for watching films way better than I expected.

Repairability does annoy me somewhat, especially considering that if it used magnets to attach the screen it'd be much easier to get inside. The internal layout looks very easy to work around, so it'd be awesome if we could take the screen out and fix the insides if necessary.

But hey, three year warranty. Hopefully it'll help me earn more than the cost of getting a new one in three to five years' time.
experimenthouse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:00 AM   #23
Kadath
macrumors member

Inability to play pre-packaged bluray movies.

I keeed, I keeed....
Kadath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:33 AM   #24
azentropy
macrumors 65816

For the 21.5"
- Really poor performing HDD. From my own tests now I'm seeing about a 35% less performance vs. the 1tb 3.5" drive in the 2011 iMac.
- Lack of user upgradability on the 21.5" (should at least be able to upgrade memory)
- Also the lack of options, like having to go to the upper model to get a Fusion drive so it costs $450 to get a decent performing drive.
azentropy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:57 AM   #25
gagaliya
macrumors regular

27" maxed out (except ssd) bto, overall happy except osx issues coming from win 7.

my biggest disappointment was the lack of a middle tier ssd only option, i was sure that would be a given but apple jacked us with only the $1300 upgrade or fusion, which would force bootcamp on the regular hdd instead of ssd.
gagaliya is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac