Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:42 AM   #1
glasgood
macrumors member

New Mac Mini, Dual HDD set up, format and iLife ?

Can someone help please.

I'm waiting for my dual hard drive kit from iFixit. My new Mac Mini 2012 comes with iLife.

Now what happens if I format the normal 500GB Apple HDD for storage and then re-install OSX Mountain Lion onto a new Solid State Disc ( dual HDD set up ), how do I get iLife Apps installed back onto my MacMini ?

I'm aware that I could clone my existing 500GB Apple HDD and then restore it onto the Solid State Disc. But I would like to create a USB installer for OSX MLion that I can use for future restore purposes.

I logged into the App Store (on my hackintosh laptop) with the Apple account created to purchase my Mac Mini and iLife is not available for me to download for free.
glasgood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:37 AM   #2
mystic man
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to mystic man Send a message via Skype™ to mystic man
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgood View Post
Can someone help please.

I'm waiting for my dual hard drive kit from iFixit. My new Mac Mini 2012 comes with iLife.

Now what happens if I format the normal 500GB Apple HDD for storage and then re-install OSX Mountain Lion onto a new Solid State Disc ( dual HDD set up ), how do I get iLife Apps installed back onto my MacMini ?

I'm aware that I could clone my existing 500GB Apple HDD and then restore it onto the Solid State Disc. But I would like to create a USB installer for OSX MLion that I can use for future restore purposes.

I logged into the App Store (on my hackintosh laptop) with the Apple account created to purchase my Mac Mini and iLife is not available for me to download for free.
from apple support

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

I m curious of how this works out as I will be doing it myself, and would be nice if I knew before hand
mystic man is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

When I bought my Mac, they made a note of my AppleID. As a result, iLife appears in the Mac App Store under my account. (In fact I can even install it on my other Macs, which you could never do before with bundled apps.)
You say you used an Apple account when you bought your Mini. So the same should apply.

Can you see iLife in the App Store from your Mini? Perhaps the Hackintosh is an issue?
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
glasgood
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic man View Post
from apple support

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

I m curious of how this works out as I will be doing it myself, and would be nice if I knew before hand
Thanks for the link, so I should be able to download iLife as per the info found in your link. Then possibly as benwiggy says it could be cause I'm using my hackintosh to access the App Store.

Thanks guys / girls

I will try again at a later date.
glasgood is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini