Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:08 AM   #1
Drich290195
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
iPad 4 home button

Just got the iPad 4 and the home button does not seem to press in as much as my iPhone 5 s it works fine just does not feel like it depresses the same. Any ideas is this normal
Drich290195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:15 AM   #2
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drich290195 View Post
Just got the iPad 4 and the home button does not seem to press in as much as my iPhone 5 s it works fine just does not feel like it depresses the same. Any ideas is this normal
Yes its normal. The iPhone 5 has a reinforced home button to address the non-responsive issues from previous generations. The iPad 4 uses the existing home button design from the iPad 2/3.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:28 AM   #3
Drich290195
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Cheers for the reply think I prefer the 5
Drich290195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:41 AM   #4
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Yes its normal. The iPhone 5 has a reinforced home button to address the non-responsive issues from previous generations. The iPad 4 uses the existing home button design from the iPad 2/3.
Where'd you read that? I'm curious.
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 8.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:49 AM   #5
D.T.
macrumors 68030
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
Where'd you read that? I'm curious.
He just wrote it down on a piece of paper and read it.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:15 AM   #6
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
Where'd you read that? I'm curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
He just wrote it down on a piece of paper and read it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhon...ardown/10525/4

See Step 28.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Apple Techs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Yes its normal. The iPhone 5 has a reinforced home button to address the non-responsive issues from previous generations. The iPad 4 uses the existing home button design from the iPad 2/3.

You do realize the home button sat on the midframe on the 4 and 4s the 5 is a little different design hence why they reinforced it has nothing to do with home button issues

The non response issues came from bad capacitors and the little metal disc getting off set to the side instead of being in the middle it was held in place by plastic and adhesive and shifted around quite frequently (still does)
Apple Techs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #8
syd430
Guest
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
You do realize the home button sat on the midframe on the 4 and 4s the 5 is a little different design hence why they reinforced it has nothing to do with home button issues

The non response issues came from bad capacitors and the little metal disc getting off set to the side instead of being in the middle it was held in place by plastic and adhesive and shifted around quite frequently (still does)
I was basing it on the iFixit tear down that i've linked above.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Zaft
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NYC
I also notice this on my ipad 4. From what I understand the iPads have always had the metal bracket. So it's probably just different placement.
Zaft is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:03 PM   #10
D.T.
macrumors 68030
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
Thanks!
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:05 PM   #11
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
You do realize the home button sat on the midframe on the 4 and 4s the 5 is a little different design hence why they reinforced it has nothing to do with home button issues

The non response issues came from bad capacitors and the little metal disc getting off set to the side instead of being in the middle it was held in place by plastic and adhesive and shifted around quite frequently (still does)
Actually, more often than not it's actually the degradation of the little flex cable which connects the home button to the MLB. Which is why the problem was virtually non existent on 3G/3GS but massive on 4/4S.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Apple Techs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
Actually, more often than not it's actually the degradation of the little flex cable which connects the home button to the MLB. Which is why the problem was virtually non existent on 3G/3GS but massive on 4/4S.

The home button on the 4 and 4s connects to the dock which connect to the main logic board

just letting you know

maybe 2 out of 10 is related to the dock (specifically the connection for the home button flex attached to the dock assembly just left of the mic)

6 out of 10 is related to the metal buttons getting out of place because of the crappy adhesive/glue they use to hold the plastic in place which holds the metal plates in the proper area

2 out of 10 for bad capacitors (which I have honestly removed the glue and tested out they are tiny but nothing a stereoscopic microscope can't help with)

thats just my experience (and general numbers) I am not an apple engineer I have just fixed literally thousands of iphones and that is what I have seen related to the home button on the 4 and 4s

unless you mean degradation of the home button flex related to those damned metal plates and the plastic that holds them in place they are the exact same design as what makes the click on your macbook

Last edited by Apple Techs; Dec 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Apple Techs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Brian Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Techs View Post
The home button on the 4 and 4s connects to the dock which connect to the main logic board

just letting you know

maybe 2 out of 10 is related to the dock (specifically the connection for the home button flex attached to the dock assembly just left of the mic)

6 out of 10 is related to the metal buttons getting out of place because of the crappy adhesive/glue they use to hold the plastic in place which holds the metal plates in the proper area

2 out of 10 for bad capacitors (which I have honestly removed the glue and tested out they are tiny but nothing a stereoscopic microscope can't help with)

thats just my experience (and general numbers) I am not an apple engineer I have just fixed literally thousands of iphones and that is what I have seen related to the home button on the 4 and 4s
Yes, and between those parts is a tiny black flex cable (which ultimately connects via the same cable as the dock, yes). More often than not, reseating this cable will solve any home button issues (I would say that this procedure fixed 90% of home button problems I ever saw - and that was, unfortunately, a lot).

I have personally never seen a home button issue due to a bad cap.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:17 PM   #14
Apple Techs
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
Yes, and between those parts is a tiny black flex cable (which ultimately connects via the same cable as the dock, yes). More often than not, reseating this cable will solve any home button issues (I would say that this procedure fixed 90% of home button problems I ever saw - and that was, unfortunately, a lot).

I have personally never seen a home button issue due to a bad cap.
reseating it....maybe a few times has that helped (I don't go straight for selling a service I do try to fix it without using parts)

you would be surprised on the bad caps
at first I had no clue everything looked good the pins on the home flex where good and on the dock connector metal plates where good so I got a crazy idea that possibly the capacitors where bad checked it on the flex cable and believe it or not bad cap I have checked a few others and same thing but only in the case that everything looks perfect and I am REALLY bored
Apple Techs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Drich290195
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
All I meant was the iphone 5 home button depresses further thn the iPad
Drich290195 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:40 PM   #16
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drich290195 View Post
All I meant was the iphone 5 home button depresses further thn the iPad
Yes, this was by design. In my experience, this was true of all previous iPhone and iPad models.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:24 PM   #17
Alex Finlayson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Yea, it is apparently normal. The button on my iPad also felt really weird to me and I asked my pal who works at the Apple Store about it. He said it's normal and that he's had several customers mention it too, however that it's just how they designed it.
Alex Finlayson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:58 PM   #18
cwwilson
macrumors 65816
 
cwwilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
This is nothing new, iPads have always had a different "feel" to their home buttons than iPhones. It would almost appear that they are less clicky and require less pressure to activate than the iPhone ones.
__________________
Samsung Galaxy S5 16+64GB
iPad 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular 64GB
iMac 21.5" | 500GB 3.06GHz C2D
cwwilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:28 AM   #19
pat park
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
I just picked up iPad 4 last night and have the same mushy home button. Sometimes it doesnt register the first press, just like everybody described here.

Are you guys living with this or going in for swap on a new device? I'm on the fence and may take it back tonight.
__________________
pat park is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:24 PM   #20
cruzmisl
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Why use the home button? Gestures FTW!
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Air home button aerre iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Nov 29, 2013 11:47 PM
iPad 2 Home button not working ParagJain iOS 6 3 Jan 30, 2013 02:36 AM
iPad: Home button on iPad 3..... barryl85 iPad 21 Jan 11, 2013 12:01 PM
Ipad 4 home button problem Danmoore03 iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 9 Dec 23, 2012 08:49 AM
iPad Home Button Not Straight marty1990 iPad 15 Aug 17, 2012 07:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps