Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Stepmcnul
macrumors newbie

Apple map is just blank

I have 2 iPhones, a 4 and a 5. Both are on the latest iOS and have the latest version of Maps. On the 4 I can see all the map data like streets, buildings etc, on the 5 all I see is a yellow screen. Even when I zoom right out, every country is the same: there basically is zero data - no roads, etc.

The 4 says the data is from 'Tomtom', the 5 says the data is from 'others'.

Any ideas how I can force the 5 to use data from Tomtom too?

I know I can use Google maps instead but I need the Apple map to work too as that is the map used by 'find my phone', my running app etc.

I live in Singapore in case that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Stepmcnul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepmcnul View Post
I have 2 iPhones, a 4 and a 5. Both are on the latest iOS and have the latest version of Maps. On the 4 I can see all the map data like streets, buildings etc, on the 5 all I see is a yellow screen. Even when I zoom right out, every country is the same: there basically is zero data - no roads, etc.

The 4 says the data is from 'Tomtom', the 5 says the data is from 'others'.

Any ideas how I can force the 5 to use data from Tomtom too?

I know I can use Google maps instead but I need the Apple map to work too as that is the map used by 'find my phone', my running app etc.

I live in Singapore in case that makes a difference.

Thanks.
You need to buy it, Apple (and Google) maps use GPS for location and pull the map data down using a data connection. TomTom pre-loads the maps on the phone so you don't need a direct data connection to use them.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3
seajay96
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
You need to buy it, Apple (and Google) maps use GPS for location and pull the map data down using a data connection. TomTom pre-loads the maps on the phone so you don't need a direct data connection to use them.
No, he's talking about the source of the data for Apple Maps. If you click on the lower right corner and go to the map options, it shows where the data comes from.

For the OP, sorry I can't answer your question, but did you click on the "report a problem" link right next to the data statement?
seajay96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Stepmcnul
macrumors newbie

Thanks Seajay96, you're right, it's the source data. I have reported the problem. I have tried resetting the phone, using a VPN etc, all to no ail. It is weird one phone has the right map anything other doesn't.
Stepmcnul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:20 PM   #5
neilhunt
macrumors newbie

Me too - blank iOS6 map (Apple map app)

iPhone 5, IOS6.0.2.

No maps for a couple of months (well, there is some faint yellow shading which is presumably part of a layer of map data, but no roads, names, etc.)
However, the map data *is* there: on hybrid mode, I get the street data overlaid on top of the satellite photo data.

I've fully power-cycled the phone, I've shut down and restarted the app, and I've played with all the options in the map settings screen, but no change.
I've also upgraded from iOS6.0 to 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 all without affecting the blank maps.

Love to hear any pointers.
neilhunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 07:26 PM   #6
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhunt View Post
iPhone 5, IOS6.0.2.

No maps for a couple of months (well, there is some faint yellow shading which is presumably part of a layer of map data, but no roads, names, etc.)
However, the map data *is* there: on hybrid mode, I get the street data overlaid on top of the satellite photo data.

I've fully power-cycled the phone, I've shut down and restarted the app, and I've played with all the options in the map settings screen, but no change.
I've also upgraded from iOS6.0 to 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 all without affecting the blank maps.

Not sure it would help, but perhaps going to iOS 6.1 might do something. Other than that, essentially restoring the phone as new and starting over might be one of the options as well.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:54 AM   #7
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhunt View Post
iPhone 5, IOS6.0.2.

Sounds to me like your only option is a restore from backup. And than if that doesn't work restoring as a new phone (which would cause you to lose all your stuff unfortunately).

If that is no good have you considered a third party maps app from the app store like Google maps as a workaround.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6