Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:19 AM   #1
adamfozzy
macrumors newbie

On to my 3rd iPhone 5

Hi all,

I received my first black iPhone 5 at the end of November and after a few days I noticed the green glow on the unlock screen which others have commented on. I ordered another one which arrived yesterday. This one has 3 scuffs around the edge. I phoned apple and they are sending a replacement which will be arriving tomorrow. I am hoping for a better example this time.

Anyone else had issues with iPhone 5 quality?I know there has been a lot on e web about scuffgate.
adamfozzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:31 AM   #2
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

If you read through the iPhone sub-forums, you'll quickly find that a lot of people have been having issues with the quality of their iPhone 5's... bending, scuffing, etc. Your best bet is to keep trying until you are satisfied -- either that or just decide to go with the white/silver iPhone this time around. Even if you do receive a perfect slate iPhone 5, it's bound to scratch within the first month of owning the device.

Good luck in your search.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3
syd430

1st- strong yellow tinge at top 1/3 of screen only
2nd - even worse than the first
3rd - loose home button and top right corner of screen is popped out and makes a clicking noise when pressed. Also has the same uneven yellow tint at top 1/3 of the screen only.

Keeping the 3rd as I could't be bothered changing it again.

Probably the worst QC for any product that i've ever come across.

Also, I couldn't care less about scuff marks. I'd gladly take an iPhone 5 with scuff marks over a strong uneven screen tint or a screen that is popped out.

Last edited by syd430; Dec 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:39 AM   #4
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Just got a two iP5s, white and black, both seemed perfect OOTB.

Also:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1511457

D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Seems like you're spending too much time looking for flaws on the phone than actually using it... careful though, next thing you know, the 5S is out
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:53 AM   #6
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Seriously... if you look hard enough you're going to find a flaw. It's human made... You'd think after x iPhones you'd start to look at yourself as the problem.
BigMcGuire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Mines is pretty much perfect and didn't have to deal with imperfections. When I bought the girlfriends phone the first one we got it had scuffs all over so they brought out another one that was perfect.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:34 AM   #8
adamfozzy
macrumors newbie

3rd iPhone 5 arrived today and is perfect. For people who have said it is OCD then that is crap. You pay 529 for a product and you want it in new condition think is not too much to ask.

Impressed with how quickly Apple replaced my phone.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

i got my replacement after an unresponsive screen and well this one has 4 marks like almost the aluminim border is scratched its the weirdest thing i wonder if i should take it back. its 4 "white scuffs:" about 1mm each, 2 on both left and right side borders. it seems weird that each one is the exact same distance from each other as well as top and bottom of the phone like it was planned haha it just looks like a chip but i wonder if its more then that. they are located on the slant where the white top cover meets the aluminum border
isephmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:34 AM   #10
adamfozzy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isephmusic View Post
i got my replacement after an unresponsive screen and well this one has 4 marks like almost the aluminim border is scratched its the weirdest thing i wonder if i should take it back. its 4 "white scuffs:" about 1mm each, 2 on both left and right side borders. it seems weird that each one is the exact same distance from each other as well as top and bottom of the phone like it was planned haha it just looks like a chip but i wonder if its more then that. they are located on the slant where the white top cover meets the aluminum border
I would get that one replaced.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:02 AM   #11
RobNor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd430 View Post
1st- strong yellow tinge at top 1/3 of screen only
2nd - even worse than the first
3rd - loose home button and top right corner of screen is popped out and makes a clicking noise when pressed. Also has the same uneven yellow tint at top 1/3 of the screen only.

Keeping the 3rd as I could't be bothered changing it again.

Probably the worst QC for any product that i've ever come across.

Also, I couldn't care less about scuff marks. I'd gladly take an iPhone 5 with scuff marks over a strong uneven screen tint or a screen that is popped out.
Is the yellow tint over the top 1/3 of the screen common?
RobNor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Bluesky2011
macrumors newbie

I also have problem with my iphone 5. It has a light leaking at the top of the border near the power button. It is really uncomfortable when looking the beautiful screen with the light leak at the top. So I decided to send it back to Apple. So dissapointed.
Bluesky2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:01 PM   #13
RobNor
macrumors regular

Have newer iPhone 5's lost the yellow tint on the top 1/3 of the screen?
RobNor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:05 PM   #14
Bahroo
macrumors 6502a

Just recently got a white box replacement from the Apple store (black iPhone 5) it came in perfect condition
Bahroo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone