Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:20 AM   #101
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
What does this have to do with Passbook other than to deflect attention to the fact that Apple devices have no NFC? Passbook is little more than a glorified barcode printer.

Michael
It's the other way round. You don't need NFC to enable payment yet. See the Square payment system. NFC is another standard-based payment system, but by no means is it universal. At least not now, especially given the recent widespread and major exploit(s) on Android cellphones.
viacavour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:22 AM   #102
kingtj
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to kingtj
Umm....

Probably true, except this doesn't mean Apple SHOULDN'T listen to people on this site to get some advice.

Part of the issue, IMO, is simply that more computer-literate "enthusiasts" are more aware of what you CAN do with the technology than the general public. Therefore, something the masses might accept as a "good new thing", we might reject as "Not nearly as good as it could be if you did X and Y first!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcs View Post
What the results show is that people who frequent this site (including myself) are not representative of the average iPhone user. In addition, this is why Apple doesn't listen to people on this site for advice on how to build profitable features.

It's a humbling lesson but a good one once we accept it.
kingtj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:22 AM   #103
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtj View Post
I get the concept, that it lets you get rid of carrying around extra pieces of paper (coupons or paper tickets), and can be a substitute for another piece of plastic (credit card/gift card) too.

But like other people said, it's still half-baked. If you have to download another app (like Target does) just to put passes into Passbook, that's pointless. Why not just let the app manage its own offers/purchases and save the extra step?

And really, I'm not sure I even *want* all this stuff trapped inside my phone or device? I mean, say I have a bunch of credit for items in Passbook but then I drop and break my phone? Now I've also cancelled out my ability to access those funds/credits until I get the phone replaced and get my data synced back onto it? Same problem if my device is stolen or decides to malfunction, or the battery runs down and I don't have access to recharge it. People might say, "Who cares?" about a Starbucks coffee, but it sure would be an issue on a non-refundable airline ticket I was about to use!
It's a non-issue. Just go back to the app or website or email, your passes are kept on the server but cached on your phone for convenience.

If you have backups on iCloud or PC/Mac, those will work too. :-)

Note: I clean up my Passbook all the time, and go back to redownload if necessary.

Last edited by viacavour; Dec 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
viacavour is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:22 AM   #104
gfeen
macrumors newbie

Why is the delta app displayed on passbook on apple.com when it is not compatible with passbook????
gfeen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:22 AM   #105
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyby View Post
I don't get peoples affinity towards NFC.... For one bluetooth has the radios to emulate it quite well... Apple just doesn't think its a good idea, period! If they did we'd have it.
Yes when master says it is a good idea then it will be a GRAND idea!

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:23 AM   #106
skellener
macrumors 65816

I don't really understand what Passbook is supposed to do. I had a Living Social coupon that I had to pull up in the Living Social app. Only then did it ask if I wanted to place it into Passbook and it did. But if I have to have the original app anyway, WTF is the point? Tried it with Fandango too. Had to pull up the app first. I'm not really seeing any benefit here. Maybe other services work better with it?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:23 AM   #107
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
How does Passbook work? Does it load up cards like shown in the pictures or do the cards pop up when it detects the location via GPS?

If it detects the location, can you disable that option?

I'm still on iOS 5, I'm just curious. I'd love to lighten the load in my wallet.
Here's a little walkthrough I put together, with screen shots from the various steps, some narrative about how things worked, etc.:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...k#post15914069
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:24 AM   #108
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by viacavour View Post
It's the other way round. You don't need NFC to enable payment yet. See the Square payment system. NFC is another standard-based payment system, but by no means is it universal. At least not now, especially given the recent widespread and major exploit(s) on Android cellphones.
Did you actually read my question?

Again, what does BLUETOOTH have to do with Passbook that does not support bluetooth??

And, yes, Passbook is indeed a glorified barcode printer. That is about it. Oh it can be hidden away in a folder. So there is that.

Michael
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:26 AM   #109
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener View Post
I don't really understand what Passbook is supposed to do. I had a Living Social coupon that I had to pull up in the Living Social app. Only then did it ask if I wanted to place it into Passbook and it did. But if I have to have the original app anyway, WTF is the point? Tried it with Fandango too. Had to pull up the app first. I'm not really seeing any benefit here. Maybe other services work better with it?
Probably because Passbook passes are location and time-aware. The OS will centralize the check for everyone instead of letting every app ping your location and time periodically. The battery will go flat in no time !
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:27 AM   #110
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

I love Passbook.

I've only used it for movie tickets with the Cineplex app and my Scene card. But it's awesome!
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:27 AM   #111
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Did you actually read my question?

Again, what does BLUETOOTH have to do with Passbook that does not support bluetooth??

And, yes, Passbook is indeed a glorified barcode printer. That is about it.

Michael
To a hasty techie, it probably looks like a glorified barcode printer. ;-)

Passbook can be expanded to support new protocol. It is a set of specifications after all.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:33 AM   #112
bushido
macrumors 601

i dont understand that app at all, like if i click on "lufthansa" in passbook it just leads me to the lufthansa app at the App Store
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:36 AM   #113
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i dont understand that app at all, like if i click on "lufthansa" in passbook it just leads me to the lufthansa app at the App Store
That's because the Passbook app aggregates the passes, not the apps. The Lufthansa app (or email or website) delivers the passes into the Passbook app. The Passbook app centralizes all the location check, time check for these passes, plus any other Passbook update/negotiation on behalf of the originating apps to save battery life.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:38 AM   #114
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by viacavour View Post
To a hasty techie, it probably looks like a glorified barcode printer. ;-)

Passbook can be expanded to support new protocol. It is a set of specifications after all.
And yet still no answer to what bluetooth has to do with passbook--and of course I mean at this time not 2 years from now. I give up.

Michael
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:42 AM   #115
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
Apple just need to top it off with NFC
I don't think you understand the concept.
Passbook accomplishes the same thing with EXISTING infrastructure.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:44 AM   #116
stepshows
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbwizard View Post
Still waiting for Delta Airlines to finally update their app to include passbook functionality. It's funny because they were one of the major demos at the announcement.

Come on Delta, "Get on board".

Pun intended.
stepshows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #117
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit411 View Post
I wanted to like/use it, but there weren't enough retailers for me to be interested. The Starbucks card was nice, but anything else I tried to use (like Target) had me download a separate app first. I'm sure Passbook will be more useful in the future, but I'm tired of Apple putting out half-baked ideas.
Passbook is kind of like the introduction of the FAX machine. Who wants to buy one if you have no one to FAX stuff to? And new technology is always so clunky compared to the highly evolved stuff several years later. It takes a while for new technology to become mainstream and into wide use. The downside is if there are no early adopters, manufacturers will not invest to make it better and the product will fail.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:46 AM   #118
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And yet still no answer to what bluetooth has to do with passbook--and of course I mean at this time not 2 years from now. I give up.

Michael
Bluetooth and Passbook are both OS level features. There is no direct tie between BT and Passbook. They just work together in the context of the app. E.g. Scanning the Passbook QR code using BT scanner in a POS system.

It's advantage is it's here now. NFC may be used for payment and other inter-device transfer in the future.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:47 AM   #119
Cole Slaw
macrumors 6502

I really wish I could get rid of this damned app, but unfortunately it's one of Apple's "Untouchables".
Meaning I forced to live with it cluttering up my screen.
Cole Slaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:48 AM   #120
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoeinla View Post
Why is everything Apples fault?
I didn't say it was.
I said it's a chicken-and-egg problem where someone (Apple) has to push the app out there, get the infrastructure started, and persuade broad acceptance until critical mass makes it a brain-dead must-do for the masses. In the meantime, there will be lots of technical hiccoughs and few adherents.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:48 AM   #121
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Slaw View Post
I really wish I could get rid of this damned app, but unfortunately it's one of Apple's "Untouchables".
Meaning I forced to live with it cluttering up my screen.
Check out the Passbook hack that allows you to hide other Apple's untouchable apps.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:50 AM   #122
slu
macrumors 65816

I can't figure it out. When I open passbook, it just shows me a link to the app store. And I have some passbook apps but I can't figure out how to do anything with them in passbook. I like the idea, but they need to work on usability.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:52 AM   #123
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
I can't figure it out. When I open passbook, it just shows me a link to the app store. And I have some passbook apps but I can't figure out how to do anything with them in passbook. I like the idea, but they need to work on usability.
Yeap, lack of an "a-ha!" user experience is the single, biggest issue with Passbook today.
viacavour is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #124
djjclark
macrumors regular

how does the airline passbook passes work with security? They write on my paper tickets so would I still need paper for TSA?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #125
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Yes it yesterday for my flight with Lufthansa. Worked great and felt even better. Too bad very few still use it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion