Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:00 PM   #126
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by slu View Post
I can't figure it out. When I open passbook, it just shows me a link to the app store. And I have some passbook apps but I can't figure out how to do anything with them in passbook. I like the idea, but they need to work on usability.
Yeah, Passbook isn't the "entry point" for acquiring content, it's pushed through apps (and remote services). So most apps that support it, also duplicate the core function of generating the 2D barcode.

It's really just an interface/API for aggregating passes into a single location, keeping the UI/UX consistent and providing extra services like geolocation awareness.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:01 PM   #127
WalterNeff
macrumors member

I doubt baristas like it

Far fewer tips. It needs a tip function.
WalterNeff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:08 PM   #128
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^^BIGMac View Post
So far, pretty useless and seems complicated. Maybe it will catch on in a year or two.
I find it useful. I walk in to Starbucks, pay and walk out. I don't even have to unlock my phone.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:10 PM   #129
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterNeff View Post
Far fewer tips. It needs a tip function.
Totally. I've said that about the Starbucks app (even pre-Passbook) for months and months. Using my phone to pay is simple, I like the single place to check for rewards (and freebies), but I like to leave a buck or two, especially with a food order, so that means still having to open a wallet and deal with cash.

I suspect since tipping isn't really formalized (some locations might not even allow it), and they'd have to reconcile the money and deal with distribution based on worker's schedules, potentially deal with taxes, etc., they just don't want to get involved.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:10 PM   #130
mariana888
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viacavour View Post
Yeap, lack of an "a-ha!" user experience is the single, biggest issue with Passbook today.
Not the easiest thing to work out. Somebody just told me how to add my Starbucks card in the passbook, I didn't know you had to "export the data" into the app,
However, now I understand it I want other apps to work on it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:11 PM   #131
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellener View Post
I don't really understand what Passbook is supposed to do. I had a Living Social coupon that I had to pull up in the Living Social app. Only then did it ask if I wanted to place it into Passbook and it did. But if I have to have the original app anyway, WTF is the point? Tried it with Fandango too. Had to pull up the app first. I'm not really seeing any benefit here. Maybe other services work better with it?
They can also be emailed to you or downloaded from a web page.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:15 PM   #132
knemonic
macrumors 6502

I've used it with Amtrak and I prefer it, hands down.

I don't have to print out boarding passes, remember to bring them with me, nice and easy, they scan it and you're done. I don't even think they ask for ID anymore with these.

I guess it could be a little more automated, for example, when a ticket/GC is bought, the app automatically asks you would you like to add this to passbook? Or maybe the app could even add it automatically to passbook. I don't find it difficult to send the ticket to passbook simply cause if you buy something and want it available in another app, you have to initiate that action, which seems like logic to me. If I want to open a pdf I get in an email, I have to choose Open In and choose my app, so the intuitiveness is the same here imo.
knemonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:16 PM   #133
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana888 View Post
Not the easiest thing to work out. Somebody just told me how to add my Starbucks card in the passbook, I didn't know you had to "export the data" into the app,
However, now I understand it I want other apps to work on it.
Lady, that somebody is me !

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knemonic View Post
I've used it with Amtrak and I prefer it, hands down.

I don't have to print out boarding passes, remember to bring them with me, nice and easy, they scan it and you're done. I don't even think they ask for ID anymore with these.

I guess it could be a little more automated, for example, when a ticket/GC is bought, the app automatically asks you would you like to add this to passbook? Or maybe the app could even add it automatically to passbook. I don't find it difficult to send the ticket to passbook simply cause if you buy something and want it available in another app, you have to initiate that action, which seems like logic to me. If I want to open a pdf I get in an email, I have to choose Open In and choose my app, so the intuitiveness is the same here imo.
Yap, I like the Amtrak one too.
viacavour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:19 PM   #134
mariana888
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viacavour View Post
Lady, that somebody is me !

----------

Yap, I like the Amtrak one too.

Yes, sorry "viacavour", I was lazy to find the post and couldn't remember the name
Tip acknowledged, kudos.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:23 PM   #135
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeejay View Post
I find this app useless. Forget passbook. More like Pass Fail
Right, just like the internet. When if first came out we could only send text messages to other universities. Totally useless, forget the internet, Pass Fail!
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:24 PM   #136
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^^BIGMac View Post
So far, pretty useless and seems complicated. Maybe it will catch on in a year or two.
It's quite easy and handy....especially when I drive up to Walgreen's and a notification appears on my screen asking if I want to go to passbook. Just need to be able to add more than one location to each passbook entry because many of us go to more than one location for the same retailer...

Also, check out coupons.com....many coupons you can send to Passbook....I made a homescreen icon for it, check it before I shop, then send the coupons to passbook...easy!
DudeDad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:25 PM   #137
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Stupid question, just to confirm what I'm finding:
This only runs on the iPhone or iPod touch, not iPad - right?
Seems odd that an app be small-screen-only (no 1x/2x-on-tablet); I carry the iPad everywhere and have a dumbphone, and would like to use Passbook.
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:27 PM   #138
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Stupid question, just to confirm what I'm finding:
This only runs on the iPhone or iPod touch, not iPad - right?
Seems odd that an app be small-screen-only; I carry the iPad everywhere and have a dumbphone, and would like to use Passbook.
Yes, no iPad version... yet ?

I doesn't make sense to keep it off iPad, 'specially when I have an LTE one. I suspect they may be working on an extended version for iPad. I would like to think so. :-P
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:29 PM   #139
akac
macrumors 6502

Wow a lot of people who don't seem to get how it works, but that's OK. For those of us who use it nearly daily its fantastic. I use it as a constant AMEX balance update, Starbucks, Walgreens, Fandango, and Target. I'd like to use it more. When I fly, I expect to be able to use this for boarding passes.

For those people who feel Apple should've waited, its a chicken/egg problem - if Apple waited, who would add support? Also its up to the Pass purveyor how it gets to you: website, email, or app.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:33 PM   #140
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Passbook is a failure. I use google wallet several times a day as it works anywhere that takes rfid credit cards and nfc payments which is pretty much anywhere that has credit card machines from the last 8 years.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:38 PM   #141
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Anyone tried Lemon Wallet to go with Passbook? It's pretty neat.
chrisbru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:43 PM   #142
KanosWRX
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
Right, just like the internet. When if first came out we could only send text messages to other universities. Totally useless, forget the internet, Pass Fail!
Wow equating Passbook to the internet itself or even SMS? Seriously its not on that level at all.
KanosWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:46 PM   #143
moderately
macrumors regular

Use Money every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post
I've found it's easier to use "money" to pay for my Starbucks than apps or passbook. I hand over cash or my card and it pays for the drink. Putting money into something limited to one store or item as always seemed a bit of an annoying gimmick to me.
It transfers quickly and is soft to the touch.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:46 PM   #144
markm929
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeDad View Post
It's quite easy and handy....especially when I drive up to Walgreen's and a notification appears on my screen asking if I want to go to passbook. Just need to be able to add more than one location to each passbook entry because many of us go to more than one location for the same retailer...

Also, check out coupons.com....many coupons you can send to Passbook....I made a homescreen icon for it, check it before I shop, then send the coupons to passbook...easy!
This is the Walgreens app developer's issue. The Starbucks passbook allows the association with several locations and will pop up on the lock screen when you arrive at any of them. Walgreens just needs to add the multiple favorite locations ability to their's.
markm929 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:48 PM   #145
winston1236
macrumors 65816

"Apple just doesn't think its a good idea, period! If they did we'd have it."

If anyone was thinking the samsung commercials were an exaggeration here is proof of it being true.
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:50 PM   #146
ConnYoungy
macrumors regular

A little UK implementation would be great cheers!
ConnYoungy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:01 PM   #147
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
"Apple just doesn't think its a good idea, period! If they did we'd have it."

If anyone was thinking the samsung commercials were an exaggeration here is proof of it being true.
Well... That's not the complete picture. Samsung is suffering from a major exploit blunder now. Apple may be working on a better NFC and even proper wireless charging. Usually, they are more concerned with security than Samsung.

I would hate to have my cellphone exploited with NFC payment enabled.

I have wireless charging. It's not that worthwhile. Also broke down after a few months. Hope Apple can make these technologies mass market for real, instead of just being marketing bullet points, plus without high consumer risks.

Passbook is out early to build the base without the risks.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm929 View Post
This is the Walgreens app developer's issue. The Starbucks passbook allows the association with several locations and will pop up on the lock screen when you arrive at any of them. Walgreens just needs to add the multiple favorite locations ability to their's.
Yes, I believe it's up to 10 locations per pass. And you -- the merchant -- can update it.

Last edited by viacavour; Dec 20, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:12 PM   #148
jicon
macrumors regular

I've been trying to use it, but only been able to once, for a movie ticket points system with Cineplex in Canada... Just difficult to scan the code for whatever reason.

I've TRIED to use it for flights on Air Canada and American Airlines, but for some reason I haven't had success using the check in feature 24 hours before. At first I thought it was an international flight issue, but on subsequent trips now my name, (which is very common) is apparently on a watch list, so I can't use the app, or the check in kiosks at airports anyway.
jicon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:15 PM   #149
viacavour
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicon View Post
I've been trying to use it, but only been able to once, for a movie ticket points system with Cineplex in Canada... Just difficult to scan the code for whatever reason.

I've TRIED to use it for flights on Air Canada and American Airlines, but for some reason I haven't had success using the check in feature 24 hours before. At first I thought it was an international flight issue, but on subsequent trips now my name, (which is very common) is apparently on a watch list, so I can't use the app, or the check in kiosks at airports anyway.
As I understand, the merchant should use a 2D barcode reader, not the dated 1D (red laser) barcode reader. Most retailers have switched.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:27 PM   #150
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

With Passbook, it seems like a useless feature, until you you actually use it.

I've had a great experience with it, works flawlessly for me, especially with managing my giftcards.
somethingelsefl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion