Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:55 PM   #26
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitp View Post
So I'm in Austin and getting 3G data on my iPhone 4S with T-Mobile. However, my daughter with her iPhone 3GS (3G data turned on) still only shows EDGE. Does anyone know why?
Does she have 3G enabled in her settings?

Settings -> General -> Cellular -> Enable 3G
OriginalMacRat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:58 PM   #27
Routerninja
macrumors newbie

So it's basically MLM applied to a friends and family phone model. Great, something new for everyone to spam thinking they can get rich by doing nothing.

So you're going to have these "Agents" out there harassing everyone they know to sign up for this MVNO, its name will get tarnished by constant spamming, nobody will want to deal with them, and they will collapse or rebrand in, oh, 2-3 years.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:00 PM   #28
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
$49 for unlimited voice, text and data is CHEAP, and you want cheaper????
Yes, I want a cheaper plan, as I don't need unlimited data or unlimited voice mins or unlimited texts. A couple hundred minutes, a few tens of texts and 1 or 2GB of data is all I need.

To put that into context, I pay just over $50 per month right now after occasional texts, corporate discount, taxes and fees, but I only get 200MB of data. Considering their plan does not include a phone subsidy, they can offer a cheaper bare bones plan.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:10 PM   #29
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronjpu View Post
But can I use visual voicemail in either?!
probably not (at least the stock visual voicemail), youmail in the app store is a great visual voicemail alternative though.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:22 PM   #30
howyoudoin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routerninja View Post
So it's basically MLM applied to a friends and family phone model. Great, something new for everyonespam thinking they can get rich by doing nothing.

So you're going to have these "Agents" out there harassing everyone they know to sign up for this MVNO, its name will get tarnished by constant spamming, nobody will want to deal with them, and they will collapse or rebrand in, oh, 2-3 years.
Or it gets its name out as a service that's only $49 a month for unlimited. MLM sucks in general but anyone can sign up directly through solavei without MLM so don't see what the big deal is
howyoudoin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:26 PM   #31
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
MLM sucks in general but anyone can sign up directly through solavei without MLM so don't see what the big deal is
Now all your info is being sold to all the other MLM scams.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:27 PM   #32
CaneCollegeboy
macrumors regular

While its good to have more competition i still feel straight talk is better not to mention 5 dollars cheaper per month.
CaneCollegeboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:40 PM   #33
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBB View Post
"along with the unique opportunity to earn recurring monthly income by sharing with friends and family."
Huh?

"$49 per month unlimited voice, text and data plan"
I'd prefer a cheaper plan with limited voice, text and data.

By the way, is this considered a pre-paid plan, meaning $49 is all you pay including all taxes and fees?
What is the speed like on th t-mobile compared to the other carriers in US?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:45 PM   #34
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Like all carriers, it depends on the hardware in your phone, how close you are to the tower and how many users are putting load on that tower.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:50 PM   #35
Mr.Mo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
Anyone in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties who has been able to confirm 3G/4G service availability?

Also, does FaceTime over cellular work? How about Internet Tethering?

Thanks!
I'm in Chicago using a 4S. I can confirm that Tethering/Hotspot works but FaceTime over cellular doesn't.

I'm on a Value Plan with 500 minutes, unlimited text and 2GB data (unlimited Edge) for $50/month.
Mr.Mo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:00 PM   #36
powers74
macrumors 68000

Will be switching back to Tmob after being raped by ATT for 2 years. I don't give two ***** about speed. It will only get better anyway. I can have both my wife and me on Tmob for less than just me on ATT.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:06 PM   #37
Mr.Mo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes, I want a cheaper plan, as I don't need unlimited data or unlimited voice mins or unlimited texts. A couple hundred minutes, a few tens of texts and 1 or 2GB of data is all I need.

To put that into context, I pay just over $50 per month right now after occasional texts, corporate discount, taxes and fees, but I only get 200MB of data. Considering their plan does not include a phone subsidy, they can offer a cheaper bare bones plan.
T-Mobile Value Packages

You might want their Value Plan: 500 Talk + 200 MB Data for $40, or add unlimited text to that and it's $45 before taxes/discounts.

You still have to sign a new contract, whereas the no-contract plans are $10 more per month. In addition, contract plans are eligible for Corporate discounts while I believe no-contract plans are ineligible (I just switched last month so I researched this a lot).
Mr.Mo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:10 PM   #38
AAPL addict
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitp View Post
So I'm in Austin and getting 3G data on my iPhone 4S with T-Mobile. However, my daughter with her iPhone 3GS (3G data turned on) still only shows EDGE. Does anyone know why?
You might want to contact T-Mobile tech support for this question. I find it interesting on all the T-Mobile press releases I've read as it relates to upgrading their data speeds to work with iPhone they consistently state up to 70% faster data speeds than AT&T when tested with the iPhone 4S. I have yet to see them mention any other iPhone models as it relates to this. It makes me want to think that the faster data speeds might not work for an iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS but only guessing by reading their press releases.
AAPL addict is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:47 PM   #39
pika2000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Check out T-Mobile's monthly 4G, $30 a month, 100min, unlimited text, 5B data.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:00 PM   #40
theBB
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
It probably depends on the market, but around here a friend of mine says voice coverage is good, but 3G is very spotty if you use an AT&T specific phone. I am not sure about LTE. When I was using T-Mobile 3.5 years ago, even their voice coverage inside large indoor spaces such as malls or big box stores were quite poor. I usually had to walk towards an exit before I could make a phone call, while people around me were having no problem with their phones. I don't know how much it has improved since then.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:12 PM   #41
yukycg
macrumors member

Anyone from atlanta using iPhone on tmobile? Any 3g coverage in metro area?
I heard it was bad but that was about 1 year ago.
yukycg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:16 PM   #42
rohitp
macrumors member

3G In Austin on T-Mobile

Here is a screenshot of my speeds in Austin on 3G with my iPhone 4S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0753.PNG
Views:	21
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	384866  
rohitp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:33 PM   #43
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
I wonder if T-Mobile decided to merge with AT&T knowing that there was little to no chance of the merger being approved by federal regulators -- leading to a multibillion break up fee -- free $4B added to their assets.

Isn't HSPA+ technically just as fast at 4G technology speeds, though?
Technically? No. Practically (meaning in actual practice)? Yes, generally.
neuropsychguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:47 PM   #44
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukycg View Post
Anyone from atlanta using iPhone on tmobile? Any 3g coverage in metro area?
I heard it was bad but that was about 1 year ago.
You can check were users are reporting the 1900MHz signal needed for 3G for the iPhone at www.airportal.de
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:59 PM   #45
stepshows
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaneCollegeboy View Post
While its good to have more competition i still feel straight talk is better not to mention 5 dollars cheaper per month.
Does Straight Talk have more coverage than TMO?
stepshows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:01 PM   #46
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepshows View Post
Does Straight Talk have more coverage than TMO?
ST uses either ATT or Verizons network depending on the plan
dukebound85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:06 PM   #47
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo1313 View Post
instead of wasting time and resources for HSPA+ redeployment on 1900mhz, they should instead that towards deploying LTE band 4.
Even on LTE, you have to use 4G (or 3G) for voice. It's still needed. Also, HSPA+ is much easier to roll out on an existing HSPA network than LTE is.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:19 PM   #48
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post
The 100min/5GB was only an example of ONE of the plans.

If you want more minutes, pick one of the other plans.
True, but then the other reasonable plans are pricy, kinda beats the purpose of prepaid.

For example, the one with 100 MB is $50, Simple Mobile is definitely cheaper
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:44 PM   #49
BobGatchel
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to BobGatchel
I'm using the Solavei service on an iPhone 4S in the Baltimore / Philadelphia area & have seen the "speed bump" (in a good way) and it's working great for $49 PLUS TAX of course (you can't escape the tax man

Someone asked about throttling, if you check out the document here:

https://support.solavei.com/docs/DOC-1197

It shows that you get 4 GB of data before they can roll you back to 2G speeds. This is better than my AT&T plan where I had 3 GB for a $30 data package.

OH and yes, I don't have Visual Voicemail but I swore I saw somewhere online that there is an app coming for that OR that TMo's setting up for that ... but can't find it
BobGatchel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:49 PM   #50
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post
Like all carriers, it depends on the hardware in your phone, how close you are to the tower and how many users are putting load on that tower.
I know that but there are averages. Want to see where T-Mobile ranks in the US.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion