Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
has anyone had problems playing civ 5 on the new imac? i have the i7, 680mx, with 24g ram and the game keeps crashing. is there a certain settings configuration I should go with?

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
This is what I got from the Aspyr support:

Try throwing out the following files below.

User/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.civ5campaign.plist
User/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign/config.ini.

Next, run the game with the following settings.

VSync - On
Leader Scene Quality - Minimum
Overlay Detail - Low
Shadow Quality - Low
Fog of War Quality - Minimum
Terrain Detail Level - Low
Terrain Tessellation Level - Low
Terrain Shadow Quality - Off
Water Quality - Low
Texture Quality - Low

Aspyr Support

Last edited:

Buskins

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2012
They told you to run the game on absolute lowest settings on a beast of a machine?

I was wondering why when I maxed out everything it auto crashed to desktop on game start... unreal. Wish I could get my money back now (for the game, iMac is mine FOREVER!!!)

Cellane

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I can imagine that this will not be the most useful advice of all times, but I'd recommend ignoring the Mac version of CivV altogether. Many issues have plagued that version since its launch, the most significant being late deployment of patches in comparison with the Windows version (thus resulting in non-functional cross-platform multiplayer anytime Windows version gets patched), lack of Steam Workshop support (unless that was patched in recently, but I have my doubts) and others. The Windows version, if you can live with using Bootcamp or possibly some virtualization software (CivV isn't the most demanding game after all, it should run just fine in virtualized system), you'll save yourself some nerves.

randomguyishere

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2010
This is what I got from the Aspyr support:

Try throwing out the following files below.

User/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.civ5campaign.plist
User/Library/Containers/com.aspyr.civ5campaign/Data/Library/Application Support/Civilization V Campaign/config.ini.

Next, run the game with the following settings.

VSync - On
Leader Scene Quality - Minimum
Overlay Detail - Low
Shadow Quality - Low
Fog of War Quality - Minimum
Terrain Detail Level - Low
Terrain Tessellation Level - Low
Terrain Shadow Quality - Off
Water Quality - Low
Texture Quality - Low

Aspyr Support

If that doesn't help, feel free to try my little trick.:p

Definitely feel dumb asking this questions, but what exactly is your "little trick?" I clicked on your link and all it tells me is that what you did was successful for you. However it never explained exactly what is was that you did...

Am I just too tired and must have skipped over it?

Thanks! :p

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Definitely feel dumb asking this questions, but what exactly is your "little trick?" I clicked on your link and all it tells me is that what you did was successful for you. However it never explained exactly what is was that you did...

Am I just too tired and must have skipped over it?

Thanks! :p

It's totally possible you may have missed it because it's in a very large print just below the pic. I did not include a step-by-step guide because it's completely explanatory.:)

For your convenience, let me re-create it for you:

FREE UP DISK SPACE

[17" 2010 Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM] + [~40GB FREE disk space] @ [Mountain Lion] = [next-to-non-stuttering Civ 5]

Don't ask me why.:eek:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Ok boys.... here is the answer to the OP's original question: Look at the thread a few topics below in this same MR Mac Games section, titled Civ V. At the last few posts, one of the posters clearly got a response from Aspyr reps. He says:

just a heads up for people that wanna play civ 5 on the new imac late 2012 27" with 680mx i got an email from aspyr and its official civ 5 doesnt support the 680mx yet will update soon ----gave no timeframe

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1011844/

So this is why Civ 5 crashes on the OP's "brand new maxed-out iMac 27". It's because Aspyr has not updated the game to be compatible with that video card.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I hear there is a patch in the works for half of a year, now. I almost feel like giving up hope.:eek:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I got like a small update for Civ V yesterday on steam, maybe the have fixed it?

The Steam version of Civ V did receive an update a few days ago (January 2013).

Many are still waiting for Aspyr to fix the Apple Mac AppStore version... which as noted by another poster, has NOT been patched since July 2012.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Ok boys.... here is the answer to the OP's original question: Look at the thread a few topics below in this same MR Mac Games section, titled Civ V. At the last few posts, one of the posters clearly got a response from Aspyr reps. He says:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1011844/

So this is why Civ 5 crashes on the OP's "brand new maxed-out iMac 27". It's because Aspyr has not updated the game to be compatible with that video card.

Solomani, I thought I would chime in with some clarification. The poster you are referring to was told that the 680MX "isn't supported yet" simply because we havent completed our test sweeps on the new cards. This process takes quite a bit of time, and we must do it for our entire catalogue of games (which is HUGE).

The 680MX (and all the new iMac cards for that matter) is based on the exact same architecture and driver structure as the 650M. So its fairly safe to assume that these new cards will fall into the same "supported" category as the 650m. Thus far, we have had no issues on our sweeps for Civ V, and the new 600 series cards should all be supported soon.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.