Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I'm looking for best practices for keeping track of who I send Christmas cards to - I'd like to use the Contacts app if possible.

One thought is to create a Group and drag contacts to it.

Another approach would be to create a smart group, and have it search for text within individual cards "Holiday Card".

But - How do I handle one household with multiple contacts (husband and wife for example)? I'd like the count of Contacts in the Group to help me with how many cards to order - so should be de-duped by Household.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Yes, I created a group and drag those contacts who I send a card to. For me that was the easiest solution.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just type "xmas" in the notes field for card recipients. Then each year I just type xmas into the search field and it only shows my xmas contacts. Then command-a to select all and command-p to print (save) to a PDF. I have been doing this three years and it works perfectly.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I'm looking for best practices for keeping track of who I send Christmas cards to - I'd like to use the Contacts app if possible.

One thought is to create a Group and drag contacts to it.

Another approach would be to create a smart group, and have it search for text within individual cards "Holiday Card".

But - How do I handle one household with multiple contacts (husband and wife for example)? I'd like the count of Contacts in the Group to help me with how many cards to order - so should be de-duped by Household.
[doublepost=1511715921][/doublepost]Bumping this old thread that I started in 2012 - still wondering if there is a better way - any ideas on managing (merging) contacts within a household for holiday lists?

Reactions: Bookshelver

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
With the way the Contacts app works I'd keep a separate account that I'd only enable the once-a-year it's needed....Something like MyChristmasCards@yourhostingchoice.com. Copy the contacts over to this new account and make the changes needed in the name fields ("The Yuletide Family" instead of "Nick Yuletide" etc.). Uncheck contacts syncing when you're done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.