Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Dick Whitman
macrumors 6502

MBA Invisible Shields?

Anyone use these? Are they worth it? Easy to install?

I just found ANOTHER small, but nevertheless annoying, scratch on my 2 week old brand-new MBA.

Anyway what about something like this?

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php
Dick Whitman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:31 PM   #2
asting
macrumors 6502

I have these. They are pretty awesome, and very easy to install. It's nice because typically this is applied to a screen so a spec of dust or tiny air bubble is a huge annoyance but because it protects the body it doesn't matter that much. The product can hold a tiny more oil than the standard aluminum, but probably requires about the same cleaning. I know my laptop would be scratched to hell if I didn't have this on since day 1, so it was a solid investment. There are a few gouges on mine that I know would have left a pretty mark.

I bought mine off of amazon because it was a lot cheaper. The warranty is nice too. Mine are just now starting to get discolored, so I'll probably order a replacement set and pay the $3 shipping fee. It has a lifetime warranty so you can replace the damaged protectors any number of times (you have to send the old ones back).

They also add next to no bulk, which is nice and the laptop closes with no problem. Obviously this won't protect from drops, but even speck cases don't handle that too well.

EDIT: the one you linked to is the wrong model.
see here or here for the correct model for 2010-2012 airs.
asting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
jacob-07
macrumors regular

I got something similar to that, but it's a wrapsol. The install was fairly simple, didn't come across any issues with it.

Heres a link: http://www.wrapsol.com/
jacob-07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:32 PM   #4
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Some of the clear skins are glossy, which I'm not a big fan of on the Air.

The Wrapsols are matte, and look good, but will yellow slightly over a long time - think 18-24 months. This is a good product.

I'm a big fan of icarbons.com - look at their "brushed aluminum" product for the Air - it provides protection, goes on without water, and looks very much like the standard Air.
TheRealDamager is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air