Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
I heard somewhere that if you purchase an iPhone in the Apple store specifically that it comes with 1 full year of free Apple Care, can anyone confirm this?

This includes: iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yes.
However, it does not have the features of AppleCare+, which has a $50 deductible to get a new phone if you destroy your phone. You'll have to pay roughly over 200 bucks.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
One thing to note - if you decide you want AppleCare+ after your purchase, you have up to 30 days to purchase the service. It costs $100

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
One thing to note - if you decide you want AppleCare+ after your purchase, you have up to 30 days to purchase the service. It costs $100

Don't forget that this is also subject to a physical examination of the phone at an Apple store.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Don't forget that this is also subject to a physical examination of the phone at an Apple store.
Yes of course, don't smash your iPhone and THEN try to purchase AppleCare! It's best to purchase it from the start and know that if you have any problems, Apple will be there to take care of you.

Our iPhones are expensive devices, it's always best to have them covered!

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006

I just added AppleCare + to 2 new iPhones today, over the phone. What they did was send a diagnostic to both phones to make sure they were not damaged (assume water damage was what they were checking). The whole process was fairly easy and they didn't require me to bring them in. Nearest Apple Store is about 60+ miles away so that wasn't an option. Just thought I'd mention this, someone might find it useful.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012

I saw a guy in the Apple store with a cracked screen on his iPhone 5 and the Genius offered him AppleCare+ for $99 + $50 deductible instead of the standard $225 or whatever it is to replace the phone.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I saw a guy in the Apple store with a cracked screen on his iPhone 5 and the Genius offered him AppleCare+ for $99 + $50 deductible instead of the standard $225 or whatever it is to replace the phone.
Yeah, you'll frequently read of Geniuses and managers occasionally going above and beyond the normal policies.

It's just that you can't depend on that. :D

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
(The fact you are on this forum speaks that you most likely won't need to take advantage of this.)

You'll only have 90 days of tech support instead of the two-years if you don't purchase the AppleCare+.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.