Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sajurcaju

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Maine
The harder question is why they did it.

I have been setting up a new iMac this afternoon for a very non-technical friend. I have come home amazingly frustrated from trying to use her machine to do simple web browsing and software installation. The main issue I had was with the windows.

OSX used to have three buttons to control the window size: minimize, maximize and justrightsize or whatever the third button is called. This has changed, I think in 10.7 from what I can see. Now there is a sort of arrow in the upper right corner. You press it and the window is full screen. The window control that you just used is GONE.

How is one supposed to use this very poor design decision? I really doubt Command-Shift-F is what Apple intended people to do. I did find the bit at the top of the screen where it looked like I could resize (or at least minimize) the window from the pulldown menu, but it didn't do anything.

What were they thinking?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

sajurcaju

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Maine
Can someone please tell me how to work these silly windows? I think this is really an elementary question that I'm embarrassed to ask, but 158 views and no response?

Thanks,
Steve

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
The fullscreen button (the one with the two arrows on the top right) puts the application into full screen mode, you can return to window mode by moving the mouse to the top right of the screen then on the menubar click the fullscreen button (the one with the two arrows highlighted in blue on the top right).

While in fullscreen mode you can switch between the desktop and other fullscreen apps by swiping two fingers left or right on the Magic Mouse, or three fingers left/right on the Magic Touchpad.

You can also double tap with two fingers on the Magic Mouse to get an overview, or swipe three fingers up on the Magic Touchpad.

The rest of the controls (the ones on the left) work the same as they used to.

ps there are other ways of maximising/controlling the windows and the gestures are customisable.

sajurcaju

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Maine
Thank you Dark Dragoon, exactly what I needed.

One time years ago I was trying to make emacs work. We found a comment concerning / or \ for paths that applies here:
"whoever did this had better not admit it".

Thanks again,
Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.