Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple iMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hi,

Firstly, this is my first post so I apologise if any mistakes have been made or if forum etiquette has not been followed. Please inform me if I have.

I was wondering how many users of the White Unibody MacBooks which Apple released in 2009/2010 have noticed cracks near the hinges of the screen/lid. I have had mine replaced twice under warranty and once for free after emailing Apple. But despite how ridiculously careful I am with my laptop the hinges still crack. When I say careful, I mean careful. For example: I won't even close or open it from one side of the screen to avoid uneven pressure on one hinge. It is always from both side or the middle. It has also never been dropped and I always keep an eye on anyone who uses it. I believe that this problem is the equivalent to the older MacBooks palm rest cracking.

In summary, I would like to know about any and all experiences you have had with these White Unibody MacBooks, model number A1342 with the area near the hinges on the lid cracking.

Thanks.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
My MB in my sig has a crack on both sides. The right side (facing the system) is longer. I haven't tried getting it replaced yet. I've upgraded the ram and hard drive but, still have the original. I still have AC till Oct next year, I might take it up there and see about replacing it.

I'm curious as well what others have experienced. I think I read somewhere on here, that someone had it replaced three times and the forth time, they gave him a new (new at that time) Macbook*.

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
I have the Mid 2010 MacBook and am having the same exact problem with mine... but I have one other crack above the LAN port. I have attached photos. I had a feeling that this was an issue, sense they did have a recall on the bottom of the case... I will be following this closely, to see what others say and if Apple will fix it.

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 5,118
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,079
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 648
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 894

soapsudz

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
Slomo86, my 2010 Macbook white has the same cracks in the rear of the top case: from the hinge edges towards the Apple logo. I asked a local Apple service center and they said it wasn't covered.

However, Apple did replace the rubberized bottom cover a few months back even though the machine was out of warranty. I also remember them issuing a recall for non-unibody white Macbooks for cracking keyboard case covers a while back. Even early Macbook Airs got replacements for broken or cracked hinges... Apple better sort out this issue soon.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I have the Mid 2010 MacBook and am having the same exact problem with mine... but I have one other crack above the LAN port. I have attached photos. I had a feeling that this was an issue, sense they did have a recall on the bottom of the case... I will be following this closely, to see what others say and if Apple will fix it.

That's how my cracks are forming too. The one on the right is longer than the one on the left.

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
Slomo86, my 2010 Macbook white has the same cracks in the rear of the top case: from the hinge edges towards the Apple logo. I asked a local Apple service center and they said it wasn't covered.

However, Apple did replace the rubberized bottom cover a few months back even though the machine was out of warranty. I also remember them issuing a recall for non-unibody white Macbooks for cracking keyboard case covers a while back. Even early Macbook Airs got replacements for broken or cracked hinges... Apple better sort out this issue soon.

I had the old non unibody MacBook before this one and I had it cracking and chipping at the edge of the keyboard. And I also had the bottom replaced on this one about a year ago. They really need to fix this issue! I am gonna call them today, I don't think this is a isolated issue and they need to make it better. I will post and let y'all know what they say in a few... Prolly tell me I am SOL. Or how about we all call them today ;)

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
after doing a quick little search I found this forum post... We are not alone... From the sounds of it Apple is fixing it... Still calling to find out right now.

Edit:

Just as I thought, they want me to take it to an Apple Store... I can't really do that right now because I am in Turkey. Their suggestion was to send it to my parents back home and have them take it into a Apple store. And thats a waist of time as soapsudz pretty much stated. This really pisses me off... Most people that buy Apple products are loyal dedicated customers, but when there is a issue with their product that is obviously over and over they blow you off because it could cause bad PR. But we still stay loyal... Sorry just had to vent a little.

Last edited:

soapsudz

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
after doing a quick little search I found this forum post... We are not alone... From the sounds of it Apple is fixing it... Still calling to find out right now.

That link was posted over 2 years ago... I think it refers to non-unibody plastic Macbooks.

If Apple sent out a service bulletin, the local service center I go to would have known about it, especially as they promptly replaced my rubberized bottom case cover a year after the machine went out of warranty. I went there just a week ago and they said the cracks weren't covered under any service bulletin.

Apple probably think this is an isolated issue that's not worth fussing over. Let's make them think otherwise :)

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
That link was posted over 2 years ago... I think it refers to non-unibody plastic Macbooks.

If Apple sent out a service bulletin, the local service center I go to would have known about it, especially as they promptly replaced my rubberized bottom case cover a year after the machine went out of warranty. I went there just a week ago and they said the cracks weren't covered under any service bulletin.

Apple probably think this is an isolated issue that's not worth fussing over. Let's make them think otherwise :)

If I was back in the states I would be in there every day!

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I have the same crack on my macbook 2009 on the side near the power port. I don't live near an apple store and I probably wouldn't take it there even if I did live near there. It's only a cosmetic crack in my case, and I guess they would have to replace the whole screen assembly and take apart a lot of cables near the vent (i suppose wifi and others) and I don't want apply to mess with the screen and other things which are working perfectly.

slomo86

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Turkey
I have the same crack on my macbook 2009 on the side near the power port. I don't live near an apple store and I probably wouldn't take it there even if I did live near there. It's only a cosmetic crack in my case, and I guess they would have to replace the whole screen assembly and take apart a lot of cables near the vent (i suppose wifi and others) and I don't want apply to mess with the screen and other things which are working perfectly.

The crack thats near the LAN connector on mine is making it hard for me to keep the RJ45 in the LAN port... Granted I only use it when I am transfering large files over the network, but still makes it somewhat of a pain trying to place find the "sweet spot" to make it stay connected.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Mine has the same cracks on the lid but I bought it used this way because I never move it or take it out of the house. It's been a year since I bought it this week and the cracks have not gotten any worse.

I did get the bottom replaced for free due to the free replacement program Apple has for it. You don't even need to return the old one. I just had mine replaced because it was dirty and not because it was defective like the replacement program was intended but they don't care.

I've heard many others say that Apple refused to fix the lid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.