Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:09 AM   #1
nexus14
macrumors member

When restoring firmware on Sprint iPhone 4, does it prompt for activation?

Hey all,

I purchased a Sprint iPhone 4 for a very nice price via craigslist. I plan on using this solely as an iPod touch.

My question is, if I were to perform a restore to firmware 6.0.1 (which is the latest firmware out now), would it prompt for activation? I know AT&T iPhones require an AT&T microSIM for activation but unsure of what CDMA iPhones require. I just don't want to go through with a RESTORE and then later be prompt for activation since I do not have Sprint service (T-mobile user here).

Why am I restoring it? At its current state, I can definitely use it as an iPod touch. The owner had already called to switch ESN so service is already removed. However, he left a lot of his personal info on here (emails, Facebook, app logins, pics, videos, etc) so I want to do the honorable thing of deleting everything via a RESTORE instead of having to do it manually.

For those who are concerned that this device is stolen, no fear. I bought the iPhone 4 with the accompanying retail box+accessories and can provide pictures as "evidence" that the item isn't stolen.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate your help.
nexus14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:29 AM   #2
iphone46
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
Hey all,

I purchased a Sprint iPhone 4 for a very nice price via craigslist. I plan on using this solely as an iPod touch.

My question is, if I were to perform a restore to firmware 6.0.1 (which is the latest firmware out now), would it prompt for activation? I know AT&T iPhones require an AT&T microSIM for activation but unsure of what CDMA iPhones require. I just don't want to go through with a RESTORE and then later be prompt for activation since I do not have Sprint service (T-mobile user here).

Why am I restoring it? At its current state, I can definitely use it as an iPod touch. The owner had already called to switch ESN so service is already removed. However, he left a lot of his personal info on here (emails, Facebook, app logins, pics, videos, etc) so I want to do the honorable thing of deleting everything via a RESTORE instead of having to do it manually.

For those who are concerned that this device is stolen, no fear. I bought the iPhone 4 with the accompanying retail box+accessories and can provide pictures as "evidence" that the item isn't stolen.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate your help.
This will prompt you for account info to activate the phone. However, I used the following steps to use a old verizon iPhone as an iPod touch for a family member
1) restore iphone
2) when the slide to setup shows up, open iTunes(with the phone plugged in)
3) a screen should pop up with your carrier in the corner(Sprint/Verizon and this will only work for those two)
4) Enter in all zeros for the required info (in my case it was phone number, last 4 of SS, Zip Code(you may have to enter a real one), and billing account pass(different on sprint)
5) It should try to process the activation and fail
6) Go ahead and continue the setup on the iPhone
7) put iphone in airplane mode and turn your wifi back on(this will disable the cellular radio so you don't waste battery)
Note:You may sometimes get messages saying could not activate iphone

Last edited by iphone46; Jan 11, 2013 at 07:34 AM.
iphone46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:26 AM   #3
nexus14
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone46 View Post
This will prompt you for account info to activate the phone. However, I used the following steps to use a old verizon iPhone as an iPod touch for a family member
1) restore iphone
2) when the slide to setup shows up, open iTunes(with the phone plugged in)
3) a screen should pop up with your carrier in the corner(Sprint/Verizon and this will only work for those two)
4) Enter in all zeros for the required info (in my case it was phone number, last 4 of SS, Zip Code(you may have to enter a real one), and billing account pass(different on sprint)
5) It should try to process the activation and fail
6) Go ahead and continue the setup on the iPhone
7) put iphone in airplane mode and turn your wifi back on(this will disable the cellular radio so you don't waste battery)
Note:You may sometimes get messages saying could not activate iphone

Regarding your note, how often do these messages* appear?
edit: the activation popups I mean

Last edited by nexus14; Jan 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
nexus14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:43 PM   #4
iphone46
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus14 View Post
Regarding your note, how often do these messages* appear?
edit: the activation popups I mean
I can't remember but I'm pretty sure it gives up after about 5 times(it didn't on iOS 4 but did on iOS 5) and tells you to contact the carrier for help with activation with the only(the phone will still work as an iPod).
Edit: Actually after the first time it prompts, I think there was a "Ignore" button next to "Try Again"
iphone46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone