Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:11 AM   #1
MegaSignal
macrumors 6502

Looking for a Mac-compatable wireless USB hub

I really like the wireless, uncluttered design and slimness of the new 27", which I'll be ordering soon...

Question: Rather than use the USB connections on the rear of the machine, I'm looking for a wireless solution, either USB1 or USB2; (most appear to only support older versions of Windows, I'm looking for a Mac solution). I realise that I could easily connect a wired hub, but if possible, would prefer wireless.

TIA
MegaSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:15 AM   #2
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Iogear makes one that's supposed to be Mac compatible. Check Newegg.

With wireless USB, be prepared for some connectivity issues.
BrianBaughn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:31 PM   #3
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSignal View Post
I really like the wireless, uncluttered design and slimness of the new 27", which I'll be ordering soon...

Question: Rather than use the USB connections on the rear of the machine, I'm looking for a wireless solution, either USB1 or USB2; (most appear to only support older versions of Windows, I'm looking for a Mac solution). I realise that I could easily connect a wired hub, but if possible, would prefer wireless.

TIA
So you would rather spend a boat load of money and throw away the stability of a wired USB setup just so you could have an "uncluttered design"? Why don't you just route the USB cable out the back of the iMac, zip tie it to the power cord, and mount the hub under the desk? It would be virtually unnoticeable? How are you planning to get away with "hiding" the cables into the hub?
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:55 PM   #4
MegaSignal
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
So you would rather spend a boat load of money and throw away the stability of a wired USB setup just so you could have an "uncluttered design"? Why don't you just route the USB cable out the back of the iMac, zip tie it to the power cord, and mount the hub under the desk? It would be virtually unnoticeable? How are you planning to get away with "hiding" the cables into the hub?
It would appear that I'm complicating the issue here. You make a good point. After all, it is still a 'desktop'. Either way, I'm looking forward to my new iMac!
MegaSignal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSignal View Post
It would appear that I'm complicating the issue here. You make a good point. After all, it is still a 'desktop'. Either way, I'm looking forward to my new iMac!
I agree, I loved the uncluttered-ness (is that a real word?) of my iMac. What I found out though pretty quickly though is that I wanted wired ethernet, an external hard drive, an external blu-ray drive (to rip blu-rays), iPod/iPhone sync cable, speakers, etc. etc. and pretty soon it was cluttered. I got creative with long USB cables, routing them out the back under the desk into a fairly hidden cabinet. Made accessing some things a little more difficult (i.e. the blu-ray drive), but it was less cluttered.....
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac