Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boopmacusergirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Hello,

I am basically a newbie to MAC's and how they operate. I have a question regarding on-line forums that are MAC centric that I could post jpg "sigs/snags".

I apologize in advance if this is not the place to post this question but I am assuming it would have been if it was "graphic" related somehow....

Thanks in advance for anyone's assistance!

Boop

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
not to be mean or anything, but it's spelled "Mac." a Mac is a computer made by apple that runs the macintosh operating system. a MAC is...god i have no idea...something to do with networking. just thought i'd clear that up.
as far as your question, are you asking whether you can/why you can't post images in your signature at these forums? it's part of vbulletin, the site admins have just disabled it (v. annoying) but you can post a picture in your sig.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You cannot put images in your signature, but you can attach images to your posts (click the Manage Attachments button) and you can put image references inline in your posts using the tags
b] and [b]
around the URL of the image.

A couple of members include a small image in the text that ends each of their posts (example), but you must use very small images to keep that style from being annoying to other members.

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Welcome to MR's Boop, after you reach 500 posts you can add a graphic in your <<<<< avatar underneath your name, and like Q (ancient, late triassic period, statistical genius and ancient MR's poster/Demi God) said just put
before and after your post. You are also allowed a quote or miniscule graphic in your signature below, for example my brilliant and original quote from the original Star Trek series. :D

boopmacusergirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Sorry to offend.

First, let me apologize to all that I have incorrectly stated my "MACINTOSH" computer as a "Mac", I didn't know that I should abbreviate with a "period" at the end of a "MAC." but like the title of this website and on the "APPLE" website, the products have no "period" after the "MAC" and therefore I did not know that I was incorrect in my spelling or reference. I am not trying to be a pain in the neck here, simply a NEW user to the Macintosh/Apple family and am trying to gain knowledge.....

My problem and question have nothing to do with this particular forum. On some other forums that I belong to on Yahoo! or MSN, those places have those cute "Sigs" or "Snags" (this is what the "Forums" refer to them as) but they are all "Microsoft" or "Windows" oriented in their graphics programs and I can not post any of my .jpgs to those forums while using my iBook and was wondering if there were any "Macintosh" or "Apple" forums that have similar usage with the cute 'Sigs' or 'Snags' like the Yahoo or MSN sites use.

Again, my sincerest apologies for incorrectly stating the names of Macintosh and Apple products. I am sincerely trying to learn here and not have anyone hate me in any way. I am new to the Macintosh/Apple products and have sincere questions.

Thank you.
B-

homerjward said:
not to be mean or anything, but it's spelled "Mac." a Mac is a computer made by apple that runs the macintosh operating system. a MAC is...god i have no idea...something to do with networking. just thought i'd clear that up.
as far as your question, are you asking whether you can/why you can't post images in your signature at these forums? it's part of vbulletin, the site admins have just disabled it (v. annoying) but you can post a picture in your sig.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
boopmacusergirl said:
First, let me apologize to all that I have incorrectly stated my "MACINTOSH" computer as a "Mac", I didn't know that I should abbreviate with a "period" at the end of a "MAC." but like the title of this website and on the "APPLE" website, the products have no "period" after the "MAC" and therefore I did not know that I was incorrect in my spelling or reference. I am not trying to be a pain in the neck here, simply a NEW user to the Macintosh/Apple family and am trying to gain knowledge.....

My problem and question have nothing to do with this particular forum. On some other forums that I belong to on Yahoo! or MSN, those places have those cute "Sigs" or "Snags" (this is what the "Forums" refer to them as) but they are all "Microsoft" or "Windows" oriented in their graphics programs and I can not post any of my .jpgs to those forums while using my iBook and was wondering if there were any "Macintosh" or "Apple" forums that have similar usage with the cute 'Sigs' or 'Snags' like the Yahoo or MSN sites use.

Again, my sincerest apologies for incorrectly stating the names of Macintosh and Apple products. I am sincerely trying to learn here and not have anyone hate me in any way. I am new to the Macintosh/Apple products and have sincere questions.

Thank you.
B-
Don't sweat the small stuff..
MAC is a Address burned on your NIC card. It is a perment address that cannot be changed.
As for your question, I'm sorry to say, I do not have a answer. From my understanding, those "sigs" are just JPEG's. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to upload from your Mac...

boopmacusergirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Thank you for your help, it is quite annoying sometimes why I am unable to post "Sigs" or "Snags" from my iBook but can do it from a Windows based machine....I guess it may be something that has not been addressed yet by 'TPTB' .....

Again, thank you for your help :)

strydr said:
MAC is a Address burned on your NIC card. It is a perment address that cannot be changed.
As for your question, I'm sorry to say, I do not have a answer. From my understanding, those "sigs" are just JPEG's. I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to upload from your Mac...

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
homerjward said:
not to be mean or anything, but it's spelled "Mac." a Mac is a computer made by apple that runs the macintosh operating system. a MAC is...god i have no idea...

MAC is also a makeup company. It's funny when people ask if I want to go to the MAC store with them, I feel tempted to take them to the makeup store.

Fishes,
narco.

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
boopmacusergirl said:

Thank you.
B-

Nobody is angry or hates you because you said MAC instead of Mac. Homerjward was simply trying to explain that MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control and Mac is the abbreviation for a Macintosh. It is just, when you use MAC for Mac, it makes you sound less intelligent, just like when you confuse the words their, there, or they're. Other examples is when you confuse memory and disk storage and say something like "This mp3 player has 20GB of memory, just like the iPod," and I'm like :eek: "I just maxed out my iMac's memory with 2GB of RAM and a stinking digital music player has 10 times as much memory as my computer." I have read a technical article that has done this and even my friend does this when I ask, "How much memory you have?" and he replies, "20 GB" and I then ask, "How much storage do you have" and he replies, "512 MB." Which makes me want to respond, "Your problem is that you can't shut your computer off or you lose all your applications because they're stored in your RAM instead of on a hard drive. Since I'm talking about memory and storage, some will point out that GB, Gb, and gb are not the same. GB means Gigabyte. Gb means Gigabit. I'm not sure if gb means anything beyond failure to capitalize GB. And now that I'm rambling, I have to say that my favorite incorrect usage of a word is when people say duck tape instead of duct tape. Of course, now I want to create Duck Tape for veterinarians for fixing broken wings.

Anyways, back to my original point. Nobody hates you. Welcome to the Mac community. The only forum I'm really a member of is MacRumors so I don't even fully understand what you are trying to do to help you, unfortunately, sorry. And the only problem with using MAC instead of Mac is that they are technically different things and using MAC for Mac makes you look like you're writing for a two-bit computer magazine. For this reason, you should also avoid using Ipod, iPOD, or IPOD instead of iPod or even ipod. This is simply because it is annoying to read odd or excessive usage of capitalization when it isn't used for emphasis or as an acronym.

P.S. You might try googling the problem, searching the FAQ of the forum you are having problems with, or asking if any there are any Mac users on the forum that know how to accomplish what you are wanting to accomplish.

boopmacusergirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Thank you for your insight and explanations. I would have joined a forum for new-to-Macintosh group but I have found none...I have been spending the past 10 years using a Windows/Microsoft oriented operating system and basically turned it on and off. I used the internet to shop and play games but other than that whenever there was a problem I gave it to my husband to fix. My quest is now over as I don't know anything about anything and it is pointless to be here for me.

Maedus said:
Nobody is angry or hates you because you said MAC instead of Mac. Homerjward was simply trying to explain that MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control and Mac is the abbreviation for a Macintosh. It is just, when you use MAC for Mac, it makes you sound less intelligent, just like when you confuse the words their, there, or they're. Other examples is when you confuse memory and disk storage and say something like "This mp3 player has 20GB of memory, just like the iPod," and I'm like :eek: "I just maxed out my iMac's memory with 2GB of RAM and a stinking digital music player has 10 times as much memory as my computer." I have read a technical article that has done this and even my friend does this when I ask, "How much memory you have?" and he replies, "20 GB" and I then ask, "How much storage do you have" and he replies, "512 MB." Which makes me want to respond, "Your problem is that you can't shut your computer off or you lose all your applications because they're stored in your RAM instead of on a hard drive. Since I'm talking about memory and storage, some will point out that GB, Gb, and gb are not the same. GB means Gigabyte. Gb means Gigabit. I'm not sure if gb means anything beyond failure to capitalize GB. And now that I'm rambling, I have to say that my favorite incorrect usage of a word is when people say duck tape instead of duct tape. Of course, now I want to create Duck Tape for veterinarians for fixing broken wings.

Anyways, back to my original point. Nobody hates you. Welcome to the Mac community. The only forum I'm really a member of is MacRumors so I don't even fully understand what you are trying to do to help you, unfortunately, sorry. And the only problem with using MAC instead of Mac is that they are technically different things and using MAC for Mac makes you look like you're writing for a two-bit computer magazine. For this reason, you should also avoid using Ipod, iPOD, or IPOD instead of iPod or even ipod. This is simply because it is annoying to read odd or excessive usage of capitalization when it isn't used for emphasis or as an acronym.

P.S. You might try googling the problem, searching the FAQ of the forum you are having problems with, or asking if any there are any Mac users on the forum that know how to accomplish what you are wanting to accomplish.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
You know enough to post here, that is all you need. This is one of the best places on the internet for a new Mac user to come get some help. Another good place is http://www.macfixitforums.com/ or possible the Apple support forums.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how basic. We will do our best to answer anything. That is what we are hear for.

To me it sounds like you are looking for a forum where you can get Mac help as well as have a signature that includes a picture. Unfortunately that is going to be hard to find as most people find those signatures annoying so they don't allow them.

On the other hand, you can post pictures in your post if you need to for say help or just to show people.

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
boopmacusergirl said:
Hello,

I am basically a newbie to MAC's and how they operate. I have a question regarding on-line forums that are MAC centric that I could post jpg "sigs/snags".

I apologize in advance if this is not the place to post this question but I am assuming it would have been if it was "graphic" related somehow....

Thanks in advance for anyone's assistance!

Boop

well, i knew what you meant!!! well the mac thing anyway.

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
Maedus said:

wot's with this Bol***s

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
rogerw said:
wot's with this Bol***s

Well, since you asked, it is me expressing my opinion on something on a forum that is to be taken, like any other opinion expressed on this forum, for what it is worth to the readers who read it.

To save you the trouble of asking another question, this post is an answer to your question because you asked one and regardless of if it was rhetorical or not, I wanted to use it as a chance to post another opinion that each reader can judge as worthwhile or not. That opinion is that this forum is a place for the exchanging of ideas among a community with similar interests. But like all exchanges of ideas, the participants of the exchange will be giving and receiving opinions to some degree or form and that these opinions will be judged by those receiving it as either good or bad, right or wrong, worthwhile or worthless, and all degrees in between. Unfortunately, considering this is a text based interchange of ideas, it is difficult for the participants to express or receive the intended emotions and feelings that were intended for the idea and so the participants must be responsible to understand the context of the idea and the intended meaning. This is difficult and can sometimes mean trying to distinguish between a sarcastic tone from a serious tone or a patronizing tone from a educating tone. Because misinterpretations can and do arise, the participants of this interchange of ideas must be friendly and patient with each other as they try to determine the true meanings of each other's statements.

I say this because I feel that my tone may have been taken as patronizing and judgmental when I intended it to be educative and helpful as I gave an opinion of what I believe proper abbreviation is and I tried to substantiate my opinion with examples. I would assume, and I do assume because I am only judging upon limited knowledge and not a reinforced certainty, that MontyZ would disagree with my opinion and has expressed so in his own post and has hence contributed to the exchange of ideas that is known as a forum.

But all of this is simply my opinion of the purpose of MacRumors or internet forums in general and as stated before, my opinions, like everybody else's are to be taken for what reader values them worth. So that is what is with my previous post as well as this current post, not to mention your post or any other post on this forum.

P.S. A much delayed apology to boopmacusergirl if I offender her with my post as that was not my intention. I am sorry.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
strydr said:

The MAC address is not permenant and can be easily changed.
If you are on a GNU/Linux machine you can type
"ifconfig interface_name hw ether new_mac_address"
In OSX, "ifconfig interface_name lladdr new_mac_address".
"man ifconfig" for more info.

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
MontyZ said:
Actually, no. I also said "to each his own," which basically says what you are saying: each person has their own opinion about things, take it or leave it. So, we actually agree.

Besides, we're nitpicking and arguing over abbreviations here! So many more things to debate, like the next iBook color. :)

And welcome to the newbies, I was one once not long ago.

I guess I assumed wrong. :p

And I hope Apple starts releasing bright blue computers to break up the monotony of white.

And yes, a definite welcome to the newbies, because we are all one in our own little ways.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
rogerw said:
wot's with this Bol***s
I think you'll find that it should be bol****s (as in 'how many l's in bol****s?'
So that's 2 mistakes - unnecessary capitalisation of a common noun and an incorrect number of stars to represent the letters 'lock'. As to what it actually is, I'm afraid I don't know, except that I'm with him on the Duck vs Duct tape thing.

boopmacusergirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
To Maedus...

Maedus,

You have done nothing to offend me nor said anything wrong. In my original post, I explained I was new to the "Macintosh" world and had problems/questions with one aspect. Then the answer I receive from one person made me feel like a true idiot for not knowing the correct spelling for "Macintosh". I am new to Macintosh, what can I say, I apologized for offending anyone else with my incorrect spellings....

Here is an example of my problems. When I am in a MSN forum, like here, you have options to change B/I/U, alignments and then you have a yellow square with a picture of a mountain to use for attaching pictures (sigs/snags or commonly known as a ".jpg" file. Well, when I am on the MSN forum using Safari and Internet Explorer on my Macintosh, I do not see these options and therefore can not attach a ".jpg" in my message, but I have that option when using Internet Explorer on my "Windows" computer....That was my true question/problem.....

Again, PLEASE accept my apology for making you apologize to me when you have done nothing wrong.

To anyone else, please forgive me if I have again, incorrectly spelled a company/name or anything else wrong. I do not know anything about computer terminology and I really do not want to battle anyone here. I came here as it was the only forum I could find for Macintosh help/assistance.

Thank you.

Boopstarzz

Maedus said:
Well, since you asked, it is me expressing my opinion on something on a forum that is to be taken, like any other opinion expressed on this forum, for what it is worth to the readers who read it.

To save you the trouble of asking another question, this post is an answer to your question because you asked one and regardless of if it was rhetorical or not, I wanted to use it as a chance to post another opinion that each reader can judge as worthwhile or not. That opinion is that this forum is a place for the exchanging of ideas among a community with similar interests. But like all exchanges of ideas, the participants of the exchange will be giving and receiving opinions to some degree or form and that these opinions will be judged by those receiving it as either good or bad, right or wrong, worthwhile or worthless, and all degrees in between. Unfortunately, considering this is a text based interchange of ideas, it is difficult for the participants to express or receive the intended emotions and feelings that were intended for the idea and so the participants must be responsible to understand the context of the idea and the intended meaning. This is difficult and can sometimes mean trying to distinguish between a sarcastic tone from a serious tone or a patronizing tone from a educating tone. Because misinterpretations can and do arise, the participants of this interchange of ideas must be friendly and patient with each other as they try to determine the true meanings of each other's statements.

I say this because I feel that my tone may have been taken as patronizing and judgmental when I intended it to be educative and helpful as I gave an opinion of what I believe proper abbreviation is and I tried to substantiate my opinion with examples. I would assume, and I do assume because I am only judging upon limited knowledge and not a reinforced certainty, that MontyZ would disagree with my opinion and has expressed so in his own post and has hence contributed to the exchange of ideas that is known as a forum.

But all of this is simply my opinion of the purpose of MacRumors or internet forums in general and as stated before, my opinions, like everybody else's are to be taken for what reader values them worth. So that is what is with my previous post as well as this current post, not to mention your post or any other post on this forum.

P.S. A much delayed apology to boopmacusergirl if I offender her with my post as that was not my intention. I am sorry.

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
boopmacusergirl said:
Maedus,

You have done nothing to offend me nor said anything wrong. In my original post, I explained I was new to the "Macintosh" world and had problems/questions with one aspect. Then the answer I receive from one person made me feel like a true idiot for not knowing the correct spelling for "Macintosh". I am new to Macintosh, what can I say, I apologized for offending anyone else with my incorrect spellings....

Here is an example of my problems. When I am in a MSN forum, like here, you have options to change B/I/U, alignments and then you have a yellow square with a picture of a mountain to use for attaching pictures (sigs/snags or commonly known as a ".jpg" file. Well, when I am on the MSN forum using Safari and Internet Explorer on my Macintosh, I do not see these options and therefore can not attach a ".jpg" in my message, but I have that option when using Internet Explorer on my "Windows" computer....That was my true question/problem.....

Again, PLEASE accept my apology for making you apologize to me when you have done nothing wrong.

To anyone else, please forgive me if I have again, incorrectly spelled a company/name or anything else wrong. I do not know anything about computer terminology and I really do not want to battle anyone here. I came here as it was the only forum I could find for Macintosh help/assistance.

Thank you.

Boopstarzz

First off, you do not need to apologize either and I think you should look to MontyZ for wisdom because he was more correct than I when he said "to each his own." You can say whatever you're happy with and makes you comfortable because in the end, as long as we understand what you mean, that is all that is important. Welcome to the Mac community and I hope you find it a fun and rewarding experience.

Now, to address your problem, it could be that it is a poorly done website. First I'd make sure that all my software is up to date with Java patches and Safari updates and anything else that pops up in the Software Update. If that doesn't help (and unfortunately, I don't realy expect it to, but at least you're up to date now), you can try using Firefox for both Windows and Macintosh to see if you can accomplish what you're trying to do. If you can't accomplish it on Firefox on Windows, then my assumption is that the website is using I.E. for Windows Only features or is at least making it so that you have to use I.E. for Windows. The only other thing I can think of then is finding an add-on for Safari so that you can enter debug mode and look through the menus until you find the option to make Safari present itself as I.E. 6.0 for Windows (or whatever the lastest version is). If that sounds like too much trouble, you can try downloading Opera which does the same thing without having to enter debug mode. Also, Opera happens to be totally free now. Personally, I'd download Opera and try it, but that is only because I'm crazy about web browsers and love having several available to use just to be able to try any possibility when I have web difficulties. If tricking the website to believe you're using I.E. for Windows doens't work, than I'm not sure what to do. You could always email the webmaster and explain your problem. Actually, you should do this anyways so that the webmaster is aware that there are people other than Windows users running I.E. in the world and that there are Firefox users as well as the Linux and Macintosh platform that use a wide variet of non-I.E. browsers. Webmasters will never know there is a problem unless somebody tells them.

boopmacusergirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
Maedus said:
.... Actually, you should do this anyways so that the webmaster is aware that there are people other than Windows users running I.E. in the world and that there are Firefox users as well as the Linux and Macintosh platform that use a wide variet of non-I.E. browsers. Webmasters will never know there is a problem unless somebody tells them.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am up-to-date on all my Macintosh applications, my husband updates them for me regularly (monthly or whenever they are available to do so). The only down side to this problem is that its MSN.COM - I have emailed them on several occasions but of course get ZERO response as if I am imagining the entire scenario... I have "COPIED" the difference in pages when using a Microsoft/Windows machine and my Macintosh...ANNOYING!

I will ask my husband about "Opera", he does all the downloading/correcting things for the computer as I do not know anything...

Thank you for listening.

Boopstarzz

boopmacusergirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
MontyZ...

I realize it should be "generic" when going between two different machines especially if its "WebBased" BUT this ONLY happens when I am using the website of http://WWW.MSN.COM forums. If you look at the options above your message thread (the font image/paragraph alignment etc) there is the option to post the "picture" or a "jpg" through the yellow square ... when I am using Safari or Internet Explorer while using the Macintosh, I only see an option for "attaching" files. This option allows me to attach files but those files NEVER appear in my message or anywhere else to the board as if it disappears into thin air. My husband thinks its a design flaw within MSN. I have emailed them on several occasions but never get responses as if I imagine the entire scenario....None of my "buddies" on the MSN forums use a Macintosh so they are unable to assist me so that is why I posed the question of a Macintosh forum such as this but for topics of general everyday entertainments....

Thank you for answering.

Boopstarzz

MontyZ said:
You can type it however you want: MAC, Mac, Mac., Macintosh, Maccy, Macapalozza... we know what you mean (and I have never seen it typed as Mac. -- with a period -- nowhere, not even on the Apple site, but, to each his own).

Now, as this forum is a web-based application that will pretty much run the exact same way whether you're using a PC or Mac, it really doesn't matter what kind of computer you're using, it should all work the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.