Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snapcracklenpop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
I was planning on purchasing an ipad 3 or 4 to supplement some basic laptop needs when I go to campus, but upon reading a lot of posts, the ipad mini seems to do a good job as well, in terms of portability and power. The lack of retina does bother me a little bit, but for the form factor, I think it's a considerable choice. I was thinking of perhaps buying the ipad mini 64gb wifi for now, and perhaps ebaying it off when one with retina (along with upgrades in ram and cpu) comes along in March (hopefully). I recently got approved for a chase freedom credit card, so I plan to take advantage of the $100 cash back from 500+ spending in the first three months. I figured I would buy it and then maybe breakeven or make a little bit of profit for mini 2. How much do you think the value will depreciate, by the time mini 2 hits the shelves? I'm hoping to maybe sell for 450ish, maybe? What do you guys think? My usage is also primarily for pdfs, powerpoints, and anatomy applications (and the regular browsing). :D Thanks for reading, and I appreciate all your suggestions!

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Get the 16gb mini wifi

If you sell it before the ipad mini 2 announcement you'll only lose $50 to $100 or maybe less

I sold my ipad 3 16gb wifi for $415. 2 weeks before the ipad 4 announcement

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Would it matter if there was no retina mini in March? They have set the launch to post-summer/autumn for this device (and the iPad and the iPhone), there are stock issues right now, in 3 months there will not be a new mini, not with stock issues of the current product (stock issues means they can't keep up with demand yet, which means they will not release a new product, that makes no sense when the current one keeps selling out). Does that affect your plans?

Also, there are some who say gen 2 won't be retina, that it won't be retina until gen 3. How would that affect your decision?

I say go ahead and buy it, and deal with the drop in price for resale when a retina version comes out - that's my plan. I bought the mini day 1 and I am so thrilled with it, I love this device so much, it's really something you shouldn't wait to get into your hands. The screen resolution is *not* an issue - I read PDFs on it for my studies (even double page scans from old books) and it doesn't cause my retinas to burn or headaches or eye strain, none of that is true in me experience. The form factor of it is just incredible. Used to have a gen 1 iPad which I loved (especially for gaming) but this beats that one by far.

I'm on break from school now so playing a lot of games on it (and loving it) - and as a total aside, I have to say the new game, Pudding Monsters is my new favourite! :)

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
The higher the original MSRP, the more of a loss you'll take when selling.

Ditto.

Depends on your needs. If you listen to a lot of music or watch videos while away from home/office, get the storage that's appropriate for you.

P.S. Don't listen to naysayers about how bad the specs are on the Mini. With the Mini, it's ALL about the form factor.

Enjoy your Mini!

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I bought a 32gb mini wifi, when the retina eventually comes out I will buy a 64gb Cellular version and the non retina is going to get repurposed to my Mustang as a Music Interface

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
March? 5 months is the speed of obsolescence now? There may well be a high-end retina ipad but I don't think it will replace the base model at the lowest price point

snapcracklenpop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
not necessarily obsolete, but a retina is a great add on no matter which way you look at it. After they upgrade to retina and perhaps double the ram, I'll be sticking with that until it gives up on me. Looking at anatomy structures with retina is a plus, as a future nursing student. :D

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Whats a years use worth?

Thats what were looking at. I am sure I can get a good chuck of my investment back in 1 year. If not, who cares...I will just get the next one. So will you all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.