Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Anyone have good tips for a simple, cheap but good cloud backup solution. I thought now with the new imac I want to have a bit more secured system for my work files, so they dont get lost. I'm planning on having a local timecapsule backup, but an additional cloud backup for the most important files.

any tips ? :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I'm planning on having a local timecapsule backup, but an additional cloud backup for the most important files."

My opinion only, but I think you would do much better by having a bootable clone backup created with CarbonCopyCloner.

In a "moment of extreme need", there is NO backup solution that can beat having an easily-bootable backup drive "close-at-hand". You will be back up in running within two minutes....

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
My opinion only, but I think you would do much better by having a bootable clone backup created with CarbonCopyCloner.

In a "moment of extreme need", there is NO backup solution that can beat having an easily-bootable backup drive "close-at-hand". You will be back up in running within two minutes....

Personally... I think this is poor advice.

I have nothing against bootable clones... they are fantastic at what they do... but they should not be considered backup. They do not have "usable history"... which is one of the most important aspects of a backup strategy. They are invaluable if you need to be up and running on the same computer very quickly.

My recommendation (in priority order)

1) Local backup for quick restore, and deep versioning (I use Time Machine)
2) Cloud based backup for disaster recovery and potentially even deeper versioning. (I use Crashplan+)
3) Clone HDD for quick resume after a HDD/SSD failure.

They build on each other. At a minimum, do 1 & 2. Do #3 if you have the need. Personally, I do not because I have multiple machines that I can use... and the most important data is cloud (and/or LAN) synchronized across machines.

/Jim

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Thanks for the tip. Think I'm gonna test out crashplan. I don't need it to be bootable. Only store large images of a total around 400 gb. I have the time capsule for bootable restore if the machine goes down. If both the machine and the time capsule goes down simultaneously ( which is very unlikely) I'm happy just to be able to restore the most important files.

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
I currently use a service called JustCloud, I have 75gb of space and believe I paid $85 for two years. I figured I would try one since the last two external drivers I had took a dump. Fortunately being in IT I collected a lot of tools and was able to recover the important data and pictures.

If interested I have 10 gift accounts that I can give out to try it. They are only 1gig in size but at least you get an idea what the service is like. Send me your email address and full name in a PM and I'll add you.

http://www.justcloud.com/

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
I'm still waiting for someone to guarantee server security and consumer guaranteed ownership and retrieval should the company whose servers one uses cease trading/change of ownership. Until this happens I will use my own regime.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
You can also use Crashplan for free and backup to a friend/relative's computer. I use that with my brother and we backup to each other's Macs. That way we don't pay anything and know the data sits on a known location. It's also encrypted in a way he can't see my data, I can't see his.

On top of that I have Time Machine locally and I clone my disk once a month and keep that drive at work.

You can never have enough backup of important data...

yezza

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
Time Machine for instant local versioning / "backup" - doesn't get much simpler than that for the local side of things.

The higher priority is off-site/remote storage or backup. What I recommend (and use) is the combination of Amazon's Glacier storage service and a software called Arq.

Storage in Glacier costs about $0.01 per GB per month; upload data is free, and download data varies (first GB per month is free).

Arq encrypts locally before sending data out.

Biggest downside to Glacier is the time delay to recover files - this can take several hours before you can access. But it's going to be damn hard to beat the pricing, security and reliability of this setup.

Check it out.

SFVCyclone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Pasadena, Ca
I use Backblaze.com. 5 bucks a month or 50 a year for unlimited backup including attached drives. Cant beat that with a baseball bat! I have close to 2 terrabytes or more stored with them. They are the best offer IMHO.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm still waiting for someone to guarantee server security and consumer guaranteed ownership and retrieval should the company whose servers one uses cease trading/change of ownership. Until this happens I will use my own regime.

The data is encrypted on your own computer... using a key that you control. Even if you were to place your backup data on a public site... it would remain safe. It uses 448b encryption. The worlds banking system relies on 128b encryption.

Even worse... banking sites know your password (they need to so they can give you access to your accounts... and they also need access to your account). By contrast... the online backup companies have no access to your data. Hence... it is encrypted on your machine... and the company only ever gets encrypted data.

Furthermore... if you are still paranoid about the data... you back up with a friend using each other's computers.

I do not deny that there are people who remain skeptical. This is similar to people who kept money under their mattress because they didn't trust banks.

The bottom line... these online backup companies are by far the safest way to backup data.

/Jim

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm looking into Crashplan+, how long does the 1st back up take? I have about 150GB on the one Macbook.

With that little data... not too long. I would estimate a week... and probably less.

I have 7 computers backed up to CP+. The largest has a backup size of 1.5 TB. That took over a month. When I did my kids Macs... it was pretty quick.

For very large backups... there is the "seed" option where they send you a HDD to seed their system. That can be helpful if you have monthly bandwidth restrictions. I've never used this option.

/Jim

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Sorry, I don't have a helpful tip on the subject, but I just wish Apple would bring back Backup from MobileMe to iCloud and give users who've invested in the Mac App Store the same kind of friendly and intuitive backup process as iCloud does for iOS devices. Meaning, all your purchases are recorded anyway, so iCloud wouldn't have to consume space to backup the actual apps, just the actual app data itself.

I would love for Apple to do this and I would even pay for more iCloud storage space if they offered this.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
With that little data... not too long. I would estimate a week... and probably less.

I have 7 computers backed up to CP+. The largest has a backup size of 1.5 TB. That took over a month. When I did my kids Macs... it was pretty quick.

For very large backups... there is the "seed" option where they send you a HDD to seed their system. That can be helpful if you have monthly bandwidth restrictions. I've never used this option.

/Jim
This "seed" does it cost extra? I can't find this info on their site. I might be calling them for other questions too. Seems like a great deal for the family plan.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
This "seed" does it cost extra? I can't find this info on their site. I might be calling them for other questions too. Seems like a great deal for the family plan.

Yes... it does cost extra. I think $125 or $150. I've just let mine upload in the past. I'm going to consider seeding my new iMac when I get it.

/Jim

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Yes... it does cost extra. I think $125 or $150. I've just let mine upload in the past. I'm going to consider seeding my new iMac when I get it.

/Jim
I might just upload it, I'm more worried that the internet goes out and I have to start over lol

So do you just upload to them or use friends computers (never understood this way)?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I might just upload it, I'm more worried that the internet goes out and I have to start over lol

So do you just upload to them or use friends computers (never understood this way)?

You never have to start over. It will just chug away, through computer restarts etc.

Personally... I use Crashplan Central (their servers) vs storing to a friends house. It is so inexpensive that I think there is no reason not to.

I have Crashplan+ set to do an incremental update to Crashplan Central every 15 minutes. It runs in the background and just keeps you computer backed up.

/Jim

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
You never have to start over. It will just chug away, through computer restarts etc.

Personally... I use Crashplan Central (their servers) vs storing to a friends house. It is so inexpensive that I think there is no reason not to.

I have Crashplan+ set to do an incremental update to Crashplan Central every 15 minutes. It runs in the background and just keeps you computer backed up.

/Jim

Thanks for the info!!! I'll probably do this in the next month. I have so much music/movies/pictures now and I think 120 a year for 4 computers is a great deal. I have a Time Capsule, but it's useless is I get a power surge or even worse and all the computers and TC are destroyed.

Only 1 question left for me to call them about, but maybe you know. My daughter doesn't live with me all the time, will she be able to still back up when she's at her moms house?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks for the info!!! I'll probably do this in the next month. I have so much music/movies/pictures now and I think 120 a year for 4 computers is a great deal. I have a Time Capsule, but it's useless is I get a power surge or even worse and all the computers and TC are destroyed.

Only 1 question left for me to call them about, but maybe you know. My daughter doesn't live with me all the time, will she be able to still back up when she's at her moms house?

The family plan is for all the computers that you own. It work irrespective of where you are located. Our computers work while we are traveling... as well as while home.

Students are also covered even though they live away from home. One daughter was covered while she was in graduate school out of the country.

Also... it is less than $120/yr if you buy a multi-year subscription. I pay $72 year for unlimited backup across all seven of our machines. Soon, that will be bumped to 8 machines. It is a total bargain.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.