Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
...for those that chose to skip the 5, what are the rumored specs for the next model and apprx release timeframe. Any thoughts? Screen size staying the same? etc... Are they going to pull an iPad and release early or staying late in year?

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
...for those that chose to skip the 5, what are the rumored specs for the next model and apprx release timeframe. Any thoughts? Screen size staying the same? etc... Are they going to pull an iPad and release early or staying late in year?

I can tell you that it will have: a 5.1" screen, a quad core processor, 2gb of RAM, have a 128gb version, and a 5 cameras (2 on the back for 3d + one on each side). This will be released on the 24th of october in 2013.

100% certain, No joke.

(joke)

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I never repeat myself

It'll have:

Flux Capacitor

Titanium Sprockets

Plutonium Widgets

And is GUARANTEED to have some overblown "gate" that drives OCD owners crazy and makes them skip it for the 7.

I never repeat myself

muy picante

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
don't think it is going to happen next year - they will release 5s that will look exactly the same as 5, hopefully, better quality. so I guess i will use my 4s two more years.
I have to admit - I like sgs3 screen a lot, size is ok for me, but plastic is not... but who knows what will sgs4 will be made of :D

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
5S in the next 10 months.

Will have the same body (maybe minor improvements if scratching and stuff is really bad).
Support more LTE bands
Faster Processor
The same amount of ram
New screen (i.e. less power hungry, IGZO for example)
Superior camera (10-12mp)
iOS 7 (this will be like iOS 5 was to iOS 4 rather than what iOS 6 was to iOS 5)
Same-ish battery life.
NFC

Might have a 128gb model but I would put this on the 'maybe' list for this year.
I think the above things are a given though.

I think when the 2014 model comes out we will see 2 iPhone versions released at the same time though. Maybe.

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The next one will be the 5S. Slightly more powerful processor, (perhaps) more durable case, same size screen and (basically) the same OS.

Excited?

Last edited:

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
The next model will contain a smaller battery to make it lighter. It will incidentally also be more powerful and consume more power. But it's lighter remember.

But seriously, no there won't be a new model next year. Apple has been reading many of these threads and has seen that many users believe there is absolutely no room for improvement from the iPhone 5. Therefore they will hold off until 2014.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm not sure, but if it is just a 5S, meaning just mild updates to components, I'll be skipping the 5S.

I'll either stick with my iPhone 5, or try something like a GS4, BB10 or Windows Phone 8+.

DmbShn41

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
It'll almost be guaranteed to the be called the iPhone 5S. And the moment you get it, you'll have to throw it away because you haven't used it in the past 6 months.

(That's a continuous improvement joke for all you 6Sigma/GreenBelt/BlackBelt junkies)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Will have the same body (maybe minor improvements if scratching and stuff is really bad).
Support more LTE bands
Faster Processor
The same amount of ram
iOS 7 (this will be like iOS 5 was to iOS 4 rather than what iOS 6 was to iOS 5)
Same-ish battery life.
NFC

Might have a 128gb model but I would put this on the 'maybe' list for this year.
I think the above things are a given though.

This sounds pretty likely.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

Support more LTE bands
Faster Processor
The same amount of ram
Same-ish battery life.
NFC

This is disappointingly the most likely. Hopefully at least iOS7 can bring something interesting

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
How about Apple announcing iPhones at WWDC again? iPhone 5S in June with

A7 chip
10MP iSight camera
NFC
iOS 7

Also it will colors like the iPod touch and also have T-Mobile support.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
This is disappointingly the most likely. Hopefully at least iOS7 can bring something interesting

A typical 's' upgrade. I personally don't see it as a disappointment, because for me the look of the device changing isn't a very high priority.

I do definitely hope we see some nice iOS changes, I still believe iOS 8 is where we will see some MAJOR changes (because a new look phone (possibly bigger) may be introduced and then Ive's more larger scale changes might be ready) but I think 7 will bring a very good set of improvements and features.

At least I hope it does. I also hope it all works with the 5 as I won't be upgrading to the S version. Mainly because I don't see the battery life being as good.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
A typical 's' upgrade. I personally don't see it as a disappointment, because for me the look of the device changing isn't a very high priority.

I do definitely hope we see some nice iOS changes, I still believe iOS 8 is where we will see some MAJOR changes (because a new look phone (possibly bigger) may be introduced and then Ive's more larger scale changes might be ready) but I think 7 will bring a very good set of improvements and features.

At least I hope it does. I also hope it all works with the 5 as I won't be upgrading to the S version. Mainly because I don't see the battery life being as good.

Its a nice upgrade from an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4.

But I think if Apple was to announce a bigger iPhone, they should have done that with the iPhone 5. Make it like 4.3 inches instead of 4.0 inches.

While I kinda agree that iOS 7 might be too soon, I feel that if Apple has the same type of iOS 6 update when Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is a huge upgrade, its just going to make iOS look even more outdated.

Apple might need add iOS 6 type features in like iOS 6.2 and with iOS 7 launch really key changes.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
What the others have already said - don't expect anything new design-wise, expect the usual select component updates.

The real question here is what YOU'RE holding out for. If you don't have an exact idea of what you want in your new phone, that the iPhone5 isn't already catering to, I don't see why you'd be waiting in the first place. There's always gonna be something faster and greater around the corner, so if you're just holding out to "see what's next", you can sit there until you're old and gray.

However, since we're likely not going to see a design upgrade for around 2 years, you may as well commit now, and have an up to date looking phone for almost the full time of your commitment. If you skip the 5, like I skipped the 4, and hold out for some "5s" model, you'll only be up to date design-wise for up to a year, since the "iPhone 6" with a likely new design will already be out when you're still bound to the "5s" for the remaining year. As for me personally, the 4s already does all I want it to do power-wise, so at this point, It's really just all about the new design, so I got the 5 on a 2 year contract, I'm pretty at ease now, knowing my phone won't look like yesterdays even after the refresh. (Of course, one can never be certain, but it's highly unlikely they'll drop a new design in the next model, considering the lengths they went through to offer up this one, and also judging by the recent iPhone history).
Figure out what's important to you, if the current iPhone serves your needs, go for it.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Its a nice upgrade from an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4.

But I think if Apple was to announce a bigger iPhone, they should have done that with the iPhone 5. Make it like 4.3 inches instead of 4.0 inches.

While I kinda agree that iOS 7 might be too soon, I feel that if Apple has the same type of iOS 6 update when Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie is a huge upgrade, its just going to make iOS look even more outdated.

Apple might need add iOS 6 type features in like iOS 6.2 and with iOS 7 launch really key changes.

Oh yes, it will definitely be a very nice upgrade for those with a 3GS->4S (I think)!

I also think that, but Apple really wanted this one handed thing to be eaten up this time. But by 2014 when the 6 will probably release so many phones will brag about their 1080p screens and Apple will just sit their with their less than 720p screen? I think they will up the resolution again. To what? I don't know. But the only thing that would make sense is to go bigger (and wider this time).

Maybe they will finally split and have 2 lines of phones, the 4" and the 4.6" or something. But that would call for two versions of iOS, one designed for a bigger screen (unless they just have a more spread out or 5x5 grid of icons :/

I don't like speculating too much, but I really hope they are bringing their A game when it comes to software this time. Hardware for me is at that point where all I want is for it to get faster and have a better camera. Everything else is great as it is.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
It will be the iPhone 5s.

Then 7 months after that the iPhone 6 will be released to upset those who bought the 5s.

However some will take an extra swig of their Kool-Aid, kiss their 5s goodbye and welcome with open arms the iPhone 6.

:D

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I mean they could make the iPhone 5 DIFFERENT, but I don't think they can make it any better at this point in time. The A6 screams, LTE is super fast and doesn't chug much battery, the design is gorgeous, the camera is top notch, and the screen size is a perfect compromise between the older iPhones and the giant Android phones.

It's Apple though, and they could wow us with something new. But the 5 is as close to perfect as I think a smartphone can get, and I am beyond happy with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.