Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:29 PM   #101
ronwasserman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles
 
Nothing with Apple is ever resolved without a lawsuit.

Perhaps Steve tried to get a patten on 'objects that float on water.'
ronwasserman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:31 PM   #102
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quibble over a few mil? Come on!
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:44 PM   #103
Doctor Q
Administrator
 
Doctor Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
The dispute seems to be related specifically to the cost of building the boat, with Starck claiming that the yacht was slated to cost EUR150 million while the Jobs family says that it only cost EUR105 million.
150€ vs. 105€? Stop picking on people just because they're dyslexic!
__________________
Oh do pay attention 007. In the wrong hands, this cylindrical 12-core Mac Pro with three 4K displays, FirePro graphics, and Thunderbolt 2 could be very dangerous.
Doctor Q is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:48 PM   #104
gotluck
macrumors 68040
 
gotluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
Nothing with Apple is ever resolved without a lawsuit.
Baha, seems that way. Hey - the lawyers have to stay busy.

I wonder if they have more engineers or lawyers working for them?
__________________
iPad Air LTE 8.1 JB (T-Mobile) - GS 4 Google Edition 4.4.4 ART (AT&T) - Windows 7 PC's - PS4
gotluck is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:58 PM   #105
iansilv
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatthewware View Post
You don't make a million dollar deal without having a contract signed! I don't care if you are a minimalist!
That's a great quote! I plan on using that sir, with the amount interchanged to fit the need...
iansilv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:05 PM   #106
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Very nice design, with Frank Lloyd Wright sensibilities.
More suitable design than the "mach 7 aerodynamics" of most recent superyachts.
Having seen, and visited, many Frank Lloyd Wright structures (homes, a church, and Taliesen), I guess I don't see the Wright design sensibilities in this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Typical frenchie. Whinging because he's only getting paid €6,300,000 instead of €9,000,000.
Yeah, it's those greedy French folk. No open hearted, altruistic American designer/builder would ever complain about getting shorted 3.5 million dollars. The altruistic American would just walk away happy and never say a thing, unlike those "frenchies".

__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:11 PM   #107
miknos
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I'm not familiar with design fees based on the construction price. Why Jobs didn't estimate a fixed price?

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 21, 2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: inappropriate
miknos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:36 PM   #108
i-John
macrumors 6502a
 
i-John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Republic of Texas
How is he supposed to pay? He's dead </sarcasm>
__________________
-john
MBP Retina | iPhone 6 Plus | iPad | Mac Mini
i-John is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:46 PM   #109
osaga
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
I can't get over how ugly that thing is.
I think it's beautiful. Unlike any yacht ever produced, and is something that only jobs would have the means and design sense to have produced. It's a monument and a rare glimpse into steve's ego. That, and parking in handicap spots. (at least the one at apple)
osaga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:49 PM   #110
topmounter
macrumors 68000
 
topmounter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FEMA Region VIII
Better pay up...

Now that the Google Maps app is available for IOS6, they're going to want to take that yacht for a spin (without getting lost).
__________________
In33weTrust.com
topmounter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:54 PM   #111
diazj3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
Does anyone else think this seems odd? Jobs was a master at business negotiations and protecting Apple and yet he hires this guy to design his yacht with no formal contract?
And it's BECAUSE he was a master at "negotiations" and protecting his own interests, that he hired a guy with no formal contract... that way, once que job is complete, you can always force them to renegotiate and save some extra money on their backs... or bury them in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugBlanket View Post
Would be nice if Apple would apply your logic with respect to it's own customers don't you think ?
exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZREOSpecialist View Post
Europeans have the highest sense of entitlement that I've ever encountered.
yeah, right... Europeans do. Not Americans... and certainly not Apple and Steve Jobs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknos View Post
I'm not familiar with design fees based on the construction price. Why Jobs didn't estimate a fixed price?
And don't worry too much. I don't think anybody here knows what the hell they're talking about when it comes to luxury yachts, luxury yacht design fees, luxury yacht construction costs or even european law applied to them.

cheers!

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 22, 2012 at 03:17 AM. Reason: clean up to quoted post
diazj3 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:59 PM   #112
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020
 
TheMacBookPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
I'd be quite happy with six million quid.
Would you be happy if you sold me a laptop for $900 then I only gave you $600?
__________________
.MacBook Pro¹⁵ (Retina.2.6.16.512) | iPhone⁵ˢ (Space Gray.64.LTE) | iPad³ (Black.64.LTE) | Surfaceᴿᵀ (64.touch) | Nexus⁷ (16)
TheMacBookPro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:19 PM   #113
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Steve Jobs screwed people in life... and now in death too.
im certainly sure it makes someone like yourself feel better to say that. even to believe it.
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:26 PM   #114
See Flat
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Because only French people get angry when they are paid less than they have to get?
why dont you tell us your heritage so we can say something completely stupid about them
See Flat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:39 PM   #115
Glideslope
macrumors 68030
 
Glideslope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatthewware View Post
You don't make a million dollar deal without having a contract signed! I don't care if you are a minimalist!
Does seem very odd. As Steve became more ill one would at least expect the construction to stop.

Probably just those Crazy French bein silly again.
__________________
" A leader leads by example. Not by force." Sun Tzu
Glideslope is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:41 PM   #116
firewood
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatthewware View Post
You don't make a million dollar deal without having a contract signed! I don't care if you are a minimalist!
That's only 0.1% of a billionaires worth. Similar in percentage scale to a normal working wage bloke saying he'll pay you back tomorrow for buying him that cup of coffee. No one signs a written contract for a cup of coffee, but the percentage is about the same.
firewood is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:11 PM   #117
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I wonder if the contract is based on the anticipated cost or actual cost. Seems he got the amount he was due.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:14 PM   #118
9Speed
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post
Would you be happy if you sold me a laptop for $900 then I only gave you $600?
He was paid for his service, not for a goods exchange. The designer had a verbal deal with Jobs. Jobs died. Designer continued to work without signing a contact with the estate holders to firmly establish his fee in writing. Cries when he doesn't get as much money as he thought he deserved.

I find it kinda hard to feel sorry for him.
9Speed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:17 PM   #119
raccoontail
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
The designer is apparently such a minimalist he skipped getting a written contract, which would have kept this matter out of the news and saved a lot of legal fees.

I'm surprised the French government hasn't gotten involved, as that's where most of the fee will go. If the fee is paid in 2013, as a french national, Starck will likely face a 75% tax rate
raccoontail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:18 PM   #120
D-a-a-n
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
I can't get over how ugly that thing is.
I'm probably the only one who doesn't think this is ugly .
__________________
Zed's dead..
D-a-a-n is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:29 PM   #121
tech4all
macrumors 68040
 
tech4all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NorCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordache16 View Post
I was thinking the same exact thing.
I wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macist View Post
Looks like a kid designed it with a ruler and an HB pencil.
Nothing wrong with that.
__________________
I use OS X because of Windows. And I use Android because of iOS.
tech4all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:32 PM   #122
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Reminds me of this:


3====================)~~~~~~~



for some reason.
__________________
21.5" iMac, 2.7GHz, Intel Core i5, 4GB Memory, 1 TB HD, Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2; 32 GB iPod Touch iOS 5.0.1
TsMkLg068426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:38 PM   #123
alhedges
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
It doesn't matter that there was an oral contract, since no one seems to be challenging either the existence or the terms of the contract. Everyone seems to agree that there was a contract and that the contract called for 6% of the cost. The only dispute is how much the yacht actually cost to build, and a contract wouldn't help resolve that issue.
alhedges is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:58 PM   #124
diazj3
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhedges View Post
It doesn't matter that there was an oral contract, since no one seems to be challenging either the existence or the terms of the contract. Everyone seems to agree that there was a contract and that the contract called for 6% of the cost. The only dispute is how much the yacht actually cost to build, and a contract wouldn't help resolve that issue.
Actually, it would, if the contract stated the projected cost as the basis of the design fee calculation, or if it stated such calculation as the minimal fee to be paid.

But either way... who cares!

cheers!
diazj3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:11 PM   #125
teknikal90
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Typical frenchie. Whinging because he's only getting paid €6,300,000 instead of €9,000,000. Aww, diddums..

How is he going to feed his family now?
if the government raises taxes on your paycheque by 30% would you say diddiums and go back to smiling again?
__________________
Logic Pro and Mainstage 3 User. I use iOS a lot.
teknikal90 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steve Jobs' Yacht Released After Security Deposit Posted MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 198 Dec 31, 2012 10:00 AM
Steve Jobs' Yacht 'Venus' Launched in the Netherlands MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 443 Nov 6, 2012 05:00 AM
Venus, Steve Jobs' yacht, launches in the Netherlands the8thark Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 2 Oct 28, 2012 09:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC