Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Hello,

Like the topic says, if I put a 128gb or 256gb SSD as a second drive in a 2012 i7 mini with the standard 1tb 5400 rpm drive, will performance be noticiable different if I replace the standard 1tb drive with let's say a western digital black 750gb 7200 rpm hdd?

Basically, is a DIY fusion with SSD and 7200 rpm drive faster than a DIY fusion with SSD and 5400 rpm hdd?

Cheers!

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
good question I do not think anyone has tested it out yet. I have played around with apples fusion it is really fast.

if I was to diy one I would go for the biggest ssd (at least a 256gb) and use apples 1tb . but that is just me.

my thinking is as the fusion drive fills it will get slower since more is on the hdd . so a bigger ssd and a bigger hdd may work faster with the most info.

256gb ssd plus 1tb hdd filled with 628gb vs

256gb ssd plus 750gb hdd filled with 628gb

the first is 50% the second is 62.4 %

the fusion program will make decisions where to put info/programs based on ?

one of the ? has to be disk size vs disk space occupied .

so my guess is the bigger the better.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Whilst size of drives would be relevant, I don't see the speed of the slower drive being too important. Writes hit the SSD first and only when idle does it shuffle data to the mechanical drive. So there is no urgency on this part of the process.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Whilst size of drives would be relevant, I don't see the speed of the slower drive being too important. Writes hit the SSD first and only when idle does it shuffle data to the mechanical drive. So there is no urgency on this part of the process.

thats is my thinking..

When I get the time.. I will do some testing with 800gb on an apple fusion of 128gb ssd + 1tb hdd.

my priority is low for this as I have the promise pegasus r6 and a few lacie lbds all thunderbolt. this kind of makes fusion worthless to me. although for the right user it does seem nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.