Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
To all the fellow rMBP owners who bought it right as it came out -

How are you guys enjoying the computer? I am so overly satisfied I couldn't imagine going to any other computer! The first month or two were a bit rough especially with the lag issues, but now mine runs flawlessly - no transition lag or scrolling lag. Just wondering to see if you all had a similar experience :)

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Im 100% satisfied, even though its an extremely pricey machine. I love it and have no issues at all, no lag, IR, etc.

Best laptop Ive ever had.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I'm awaiting my fifth replacement since purchasing shortly after release (1st had 2 hour battery life which turned out to be a shoddy OSX update, 2nd had a bad monitor hinge, third had unglued battery cells that clunked around in the case, fourth had image retention due to LG screen). I'm also finding that the GPU throttling during gaming in Bootcamp is ridiculous (270 MHz vs 900MHz). I've owned about 10 laptops in my life and have never returned a single unit, so awaiting my fifth replacement is kind of unacceptable. There are also some very nasty Safari bugs that have been persistent since release, and only seem to mar the experience of retina users.

That said, this has otherwise been the best laptop I've ever owned. The performance is fantastic (until throttling occurs at which point I do a SMC reset). It's thin, lightweight, and sexy. The image quality is so fantastic that looking at any other laptop screen looks like absolute garbage. If my fifth replacement has a Samsung screen without any of the hardware defects mentioned above, I'll be a happy camper. Otherwise I'm going to get a refund and buy a cheap PC until revision 2 comes out.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
I'm awaiting my fifth replacement since purchasing shortly after release (1st had 2 hour battery life which turned out to be a shoddy OSX update, 2nd had a bad monitor hinge, third had unglued battery cells that clunked around in the case, fourth had image retention due to LG screen). I'm also finding that the GPU throttling during gaming in Bootcamp is ridiculous (270 MHz vs 900MHz). I've owned about 10 laptops in my life and have never returned a single unit, so awaiting my fifth replacement is kind of unacceptable. There are also some very nasty Safari bugs that have been persistent since release, and only seem to mar the experience of retina users.

That said, this has otherwise been the best laptop I've ever owned. The performance is fantastic (until throttling occurs at which point I do a SMC reset). It's thin, lightweight, and sexy. The image quality is so fantastic that looking at any other laptop screen looks like absolute garbage. If my fifth replacement has a Samsung screen without any of the hardware defects mentioned above, I'll be a happy camper. Otherwise I'm going to get a refund and buy a cheap PC until revision 2 comes out.

You must be extremely unlucky. Do not buy lottery tickets. Ever.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I got mine when they first came into stock in the Apple store in Bristol, never had any issue with it, no lag and no problems with the screen either. This is the 5th Mac Laptop I have owned and the best one so far.

angrydog

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
Another happy owner reporting in; 4th Macbook Pro and its' the best one so far!

King Shady

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
San Jose, CA
Glad most of you are enjoying it as much as me (except for noise lol)! The beginning was a somewhat aggravating process but I'm so in love with this machine. It fits all of my purposes and is extremely powerful!

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
UK
Pretty sure these people that end up with '5 machines' treat them like crap or are just hypochondriacs for their computers. The fact hundreds of thousands have a perfect one first time yet some people get 5 consecutive duffs is totally against the odds, more chance of winning the lottery. I don't believe it.

peteyyt

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
I loved mine for the first few months. Unfortunately, about a month ago the screen burn-in became unbearable, and I was having problems waking the machine up from sleep. Apple actually let me return it this past Wednesday (they didn't have a replacement with my same specs in stock as it was BTO). I'm wondering now whether to purchase a new one, or wait for the eventual Rev 2.

Before the screen problems, there was no other computer like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.