Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:48 AM   #51
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by iParis View Post
So how many phones are we counting here? Surely this is including all iPhones, but when was the last time you saw an iPhone 2G in the wild? Let's just say iPhone 3GS and after; that's four phones running iOS against the tons and tons that run Android.
Maybe it will make you feel better to think of it this way. People are either choosing an iPhone or they are not choosing an iPhone. Getting caught up in how many other phones out starts a huge deluge of parameters which you can get mired in.
samcraig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:54 AM   #52
iParis
macrumors 68040
 
iParis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Mexico
Send a message via AIM to iParis Send a message via MSN to iParis
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Maybe it will make you feel better to think of it this way. People are either choosing an iPhone or they are not choosing an iPhone. Getting caught up in how many other phones out starts a huge deluge of parameters which you can get mired in.
dat fragmentation
__________________
- AirPort Express 2012
- iPhone 6 128GB / Space Gray / Verizon / iOS 8
- iPhone 5 64GB / Black & Slate / iOS 7.0.6 / JB'n
- MacBook C2D 2.4GHz / 8GB ram / 250GB HD / 10.9.4
iParis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:56 AM   #53
achtung!
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portugal
wonder why they have such low sells in europe when comparing to us the prices are outrageous!
achtung! is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:57 AM   #54
LeoCastillo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Manila, Philippines
Good news for Apple!!

Following recent trends, I think that means the stock will go down again.

Leo
LeoCastillo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:03 AM   #55
notabadname
macrumors 65816
 
notabadname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Pretty impressive in light of there only really being one style of phone from Apple, as compared to the plethora of Android hardware offerings.
__________________
"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
notabadname is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:04 AM   #56
TheNextBigThing
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pearl of the Orient
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakapo View Post
I know most of you don't like the idea, but the iphone would have even more market share in the usa if they offered a 5" or bigger phone along with the existing 4" phone. I'd get one.
Definitely! There's a big market for 4.5"-5.5" smartphones.
TheNextBigThing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:05 AM   #57
newagemac
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
The difference between US and Europe can be addressed to subsidizing, I think in Europe the price difference between iPhone and high-end devices from competitors is >€200,- while in the US it's no more than $100 (€80). Give or take.

For Apple's sake, I hope this subsidizing will continue forever, because this model is the main reason iPhone devices are more popular than Android devices.

Nevertheless, extremely impressive results, because the previous year was the first Android devices really caught up with the iPhone, but still the iPhone sales are way stronger. Really impressive.
The thing is, the iPhone 5 is so far ahead of the Android phones now. Apple did some amazing things with the A6 to the point where i don't think the Android manufacturers are really even trying to compete with it anymore. For example, benchmarks show the Quad Core Galaxy S3 is underpowered compared to the A6 in the iPhone 5. What's more important though is Samsung didn't even bother to bring the Quad Core S3 to the United States. Here, it's just dual core and the dual core S3 is not even in the same league with the iPhone 5. And because of subsidizing in the U.S., you can have all that the iPhone 5 offers over Android phones without actually paying more or at most maybe $100 compared to cheapest ones. The iPhone 5 is only $127 at Walmart now!

Samsung and Google are happy enough to focus on the low end to mid range. That's where their biggest sellers are. It works well for them and there is nothing wrong with that. When Apple makes a new phone, they always target the high end. They don't design new phones for the low end market or mid range market. And it serves them well also.
newagemac is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:06 AM   #58
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
The difference between US and Europe can be addressed to subsidizing, I think in Europe the price difference between iPhone and high-end devices from competitors is >€200,- while in the US it's no more than $100 (€80). Give or take.

For Apple's sake, I hope this subsidizing will continue forever, because this model is the main reason iPhone devices are more popular than Android devices.

Nevertheless, extremely impressive results, because the previous year was the first Android devices really caught up with the iPhone, but still the iPhone sales are way stronger. Really impressive.
Not sure I agree. I live in Ireland and buying and managing an iPhone/smartphone is MUCH better here than in North America. The phone is usually around 150 euros (subsidized) and the plans are more comprehensive, shorter and less expensive than in NA (my family lives in Canada).

I'm not sure if it's the same throughout Europe but in the UK/Ireland, it's much better than North America.
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:07 AM   #59
Popeye206
macrumors 68030
 
Popeye206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NE PA USA
Lots of focus on Apple vs Android.... the real story is how quickly all others are becoming totally irrelevant.

iOS and Android are clearly the leaders.... the other phone OS's are a race to the bottom.
Popeye206 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:08 AM   #60
bushido
macrumors 603
 
bushido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: España y Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by EwanMcTeagle View Post
Agreed. iPhones are crazy expensive in Western Europe... but, as they have basically the same prices in Poland (mid-east Europe), means they are "are u ******* nuts?" expensive here [And even more so when buying from cellular carriers that sell iPhones with absurdly expensive contracts compared to UK for example]. But I guess that's the price of being a 2nd world country - you have Western European prices and Eastern European wages
Anyways, dueo to pricing iPhones are limited in availability to well paid professionals and to... business owners. The latter often buy iPhones with their contracts to sell them later at auctions - while their stick with their old Nokias, which are more sensible I guess, being that they're cheap and having long battery lives.
And thank god for that I got my 64GB 4S from such a gentleman, who bought two of those "for" his business and sold them at an auction - all in all I paid 1/3 less for my 64GB 4S that I would've paid for 16GB version at Apple or anywhere else.
So it's nice that Apple gains marketshare and so on - I like their products, but I'm never going to buy at Apple Polish online store or from their resellers in my country - I just don't like to be mugged
its 679€ here without a plan, thats not much more than in the US after tax and a plan where u can get the iPhone 5 for 1-50€ is only 40-50€ a month. in the us u pay 199$ AND crazy sums like 80$ and more a month if im not mistaken. its even cheaper in austria and england. i fail to see how the iphone is "crazy expensive" in the EU.
__________________
¡No hables a menos que puedas mejorar el silencio!
Don't judge me by my user name - I was young and stupid xD
bushido is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:09 AM   #61
coolfactor
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmunge View Post
Gained nearly 20% of the market share in the last year... Wow.
If I understand correctly... these are quarterly share of sales, not overall market share (number of handsets in use by everyone over time). I wish I was wrong. :P
coolfactor is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:10 AM   #62
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
The thing is, the iPhone 5 is so far ahead of the Android phones now. Apple did some amazing things with the A6 to the point where i don't think the Android manufacturers are really even trying to compete with it anymore. For example, benchmarks show the Quad Core Galaxy S3 is underpowered compared to the A6 in the iPhone 5. What's more important though is Samsung didn't even bother to bring the Quad Core S3 to the United States. Here, it's just dual core and the dual core S3 is not even in the same league with the iPhone 5. And because of subsidizing in the U.S., you can have all that the iPhone 5 offers over Android phones without actually paying more or at most maybe $100 compared to cheapest ones. The iPhone 5 is only $127 at Walmart now!

Samsung and Google are happy enough to focus on the low end to mid range. That's where their biggest sellers are. It works well for them and there is nothing wrong with that. When Apple makes a new phone, they always target the high end. They don't design new phones for the low end market or mid range market. And it serves them well also.
Samsung is definitely not looking at the low/mid-range with the Galaxy and Note lineup. I think the S4 will naturally outperform the iP5. Samsung has realized it's not about the money, it's about competing with Apple in terms of features and quality. I'd agree that maybe the Nexus 4 isn't competing in the higher end of smartphones which is a shame because I like the native Android more than the skins that HTC and Samsung throw on top of them and having a phone with more powerful hardware running it would be intriguing.
HishamAkhtar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:11 AM   #63
samcraig
macrumors G5
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Phone cost is important. But it's also important to look at the entire "package" or total cost of ownership.

This means Phone (subsidized or not) + phone/data plan.

So while it might be more expensive to buy the phone in country X - the total cost of ownership (including plan) might be more/less/same as in country Y.
samcraig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:13 AM   #64
DeliSauce
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
If the subsidized model goes away, all phone prices will go up. I mean its still the whole would you buy a SGS3 for $600 or the iPhone 5 for $650...is $50 going to stop someone from buying an Apple device? For me and many others ...nope.
Or, I don't know, maybe you could get the Nexus 4 for $300. Would $350 stop someone from buying an Apple device?
DeliSauce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:15 AM   #65
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Apple is doomed.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:16 AM   #66
flux73
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
What the heck is Bada and why is it even tracked?
Bada by Samsung
flux73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:16 AM   #67
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601
 
Compile 'em all's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Go, team apple!
__________________
Compile 'em all is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:17 AM   #68
iglobe
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
samsung s3 dying young

some users s3 galaxy died less than age 1.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Some-...-young_id37944
iglobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:18 AM   #69
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
People realize this isn't the overall smartphone market right?

Still good for apple though
irDigital0l is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:25 AM   #70
tzeshan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Now I see why I sold my old 3GS and 4 at the same price I paid. They were bought by people to be given to their relatives in other nations because the huge cost of iPhone over there. OTOH, old Android phones are almost worthless.
tzeshan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:26 AM   #71
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
Samsung is definitely not looking at the low/mid-range with the Galaxy and Note lineup. I think the S4 will naturally outperform the iP5. Samsung has realized it's not about the money, it's about competing with Apple in terms of features and quality.
You forgot marketing. Go to any shopping mall and Galaxy is advertised everywhere. Same thing on TV. Every other commercial I see is for an S3 or Note. Sporting events, award shows, TV shows, concerts all sponsored by Samsung Galaxy. The amount of advertising Samsung has spent on the Galaxy line has certainly helped it increase market share. Though Morgan Stanley analysts claim Samsung is taking share from other Android OEM's more so than from Apple.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:27 AM   #72
theBB
macrumors 68020
 
theBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I would not take Kantar results too seriously. After big three wireless carriers announced their sales figures after the summer quarter, Kantar's estimates for iOS turned out much lower than the official figures. 35% vs. 47% if my memory serves me right. They could be under estimating if they are using the same methodology or they could be overestimating to make up for the mistake over the longer term.
theBB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:29 AM   #73
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
My point is that statistical analysis always has that caveat. But not by accident, they are very carefully wording it to trick people into believing what they want.

According to commercials, the #1 TV show is on:
Fox
NBC
CBS
ABC

I'm sure the list is much longer, but I no longer pay for cable/sat to see more commercials.
Comscore reports Android is #1 in the US. People can skew it however they want. None of these "Market Research" firms will release their data to let us see because where would they get their notoriety and hits from then? On top of that there is no possible way they can know with 100% accuracy any of this. It is all based on sources and long telephone lists of people to call and ask... "How many X did you sell and how many do you have in stock".
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.
TheHateMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:37 AM   #74
TC03
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
Not sure I agree. I live in Ireland and buying and managing an iPhone/smartphone is MUCH better here than in North America. The phone is usually around 150 euros (subsidized) and the plans are more comprehensive, shorter and less expensive than in NA (my family lives in Canada).

I'm not sure if it's the same throughout Europe but in the UK/Ireland, it's much better than North America.
The UK is known to be cheap for phones and contract. I think it's more expensive on the continent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
You could also argue that the reasoning is because in the US the iPhone is offered by almost all major carriers. Worldwide, the iPhone is on less then half the carriers Android phones are offered on.
In almost al European countries, the iPhone is offered by all major carriers, so as far as Europe is concerned this is not much of an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
If the subsidized model goes away, all phone prices will go up. I mean its still the whole would you buy a SGS3 for $600 or the iPhone 5 for $650...is $50 going to stop someone from buying an Apple device? For me and many others ...nope.
Phone prices won't go up, they will simply be unsubsidized. You do realize that the US is the only country where you can't buy phones unsubsidized easily? In almost every other country you can buy a phone with or without contract, so unsubsidized phone prices are fairly common in Europe.

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is MUCH cheaper than the iPhone 5 (like I said, ~€200 cheaper).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
actually u can get the iPhone 5 for 1€ here in Germany at least
I bet the monthly fee would be rather high.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
The thing is, the iPhone 5 is so far ahead of the Android phones now. Apple did some amazing things with the A6 to the point where i don't think the Android manufacturers are really even trying to compete with it anymore. For example, benchmarks show the Quad Core Galaxy S3 is underpowered compared to the A6 in the iPhone 5. What's more important though is Samsung didn't even bother to bring the Quad Core S3 to the United States. Here, it's just dual core and the dual core S3 is not even in the same league with the iPhone 5. And because of subsidizing in the U.S., you can have all that the iPhone 5 offers over Android phones without actually paying more or at most maybe $100 compared to cheapest ones. The iPhone 5 is only $127 at Walmart now!

Samsung and Google are happy enough to focus on the low end to mid range. That's where their biggest sellers are. It works well for them and there is nothing wrong with that. When Apple makes a new phone, they always target the high end. They don't design new phones for the low end market or mid range market. And it serves them well also.
HTC One X or Galaxy S III aren't mid-end, they're high-end, and they're much cheaper than the iPhone 5. This is a real threat, take Europe as an example. Android phones are much cheaper there, and as a consequence the iPhone is less popular.

Apple's profit in the US is largely dependent on AT&T and Verizon. That's a bit scary.
TC03 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:43 AM   #75
bawbac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Remember these are just sales & we all know most apple consumers upgrade frequently.
So this does not necessarliy mean more users/market share, just sales.

May be other phone users are happy with their phones functionality and don't require upgrading twice a year.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
Comscore reports Android is #1 in the US. People can skew it however they want. None of these "Market Research" firms will release their data to let us see because where would they get their notoriety and hits from then? On top of that there is no possible way they can know with 100% accuracy any of this. It is all based on sources and long telephone lists of people to call and ask... "How many X did you sell and how many do you have in stock".
Correct and it looks good for the company who funded the research.
bawbac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone Market Share Dips Slightly as Android Increases Lead in Global Smartphone Race MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 259 Feb 3, 2014 12:57 PM
Apple's Growth Trails Smartphone Market in 3Q 2013, but Improves in Broader Mobile Phone Market MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 179 Nov 16, 2013 09:03 AM
Android Dominates Nearly 80% of Smartphone Market, iOS Drops to 13% Share MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 524 Aug 25, 2013 04:09 PM
Samsung and Apple Continue to Dominate Smartphone Market, But iOS Market Share Falls MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 141 Feb 20, 2013 06:48 AM
Android grabs 75% of the smartphone market - iOS at just 14.9%. nickn Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 78 Nov 5, 2012 02:07 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC