Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:47 AM   #76
Jaro65
macrumors 68040

Send a message via Skype™ to Jaro65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I think they forgot Boom.
But wasn't that Big Bada Boom?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:56 AM   #77
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
MS is fighting for 2nd place. I think as they refine the Surface and WP, they will move into 2nd place over Android. Android is just way too fragmented.
Why would fragmentation stop Android from gaining market share? After all, it hasn't until now.
dalbir4444 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:14 PM   #78
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

People are still shocked at apple prices? What year is it again?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:20 PM   #79
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
That is the problem in Europe is that the iPhone is crazy expensive. I can buy an iPad and an relatively cheap phone and it still doesn't cost as much as an iPhone.
Most of the people that have iPhones the company for who they work for is paying for them.
what about the secondary market iPhones? They have got to be cheaper.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
Why would fragmentation stop Android from gaining market share? After all, it hasn't until now.
True. Once people start to trust MS again, it will gain alot on Android if they are priced about the same.
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:27 PM   #80
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

While on some level I definitely join the group of "who cares" in regards to which company has more market share, I'm getting the feeling that the ones here that are actually showing their annoyance over the article are perhaps Android users?
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:28 PM   #81
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro65 View Post
What the heck is Bada and why is it even tracked?
Bada Bing!
BornAgainApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:28 PM   #82
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
what about the secondary market iPhones? They have got to be cheaper.

----------

True. Once people start to trust MS again, it will gain alot on Android if they are priced about the same.
Yes on the secondary market (if you mean second hand market) they are cheaper but most people ask more money than they are worth. Yet I've seen lots of lumias 800 sold cheaply (new in the box for 100~150 eur).

About Microsoft I doubt that people will gain trust soon enough. Nokia has huge problems with unreliability (I don't know about the lumia series), most people avoid nokia like the plague. The windows 8 update fiasco made many people reluctant to buy windows phones.
blackburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:30 PM   #83
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a

Another reason I went to android was because of this, while I liked the new iPhone, it didn't really offer much for me over the 4S, but as I feared, and this confirms it, EVERY MAN AND HIS DOG HAVE AN IPHONE!

Talk about boring!
Fruit Cake is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:32 PM   #84
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

These numbers are so fudged its not even funny. Considering samsung alone sells more android smart phones than apple I'd love to know how these numbers add up. You can play with statistics and make them fit whatever outcome you want. Thats obviously what happened here.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:35 PM   #85
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawbac View Post
Remember these are just sales & we all know most apple consumers upgrade frequently.
So this does not necessarliy mean more users/market share, just sales.
So Apple customers upgrade more frequently? I'd like a source for that statement.
TC03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:36 PM   #86
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Android has 72% of world marketshare and apple has 14%. I would hardly consider that something to celebrate. Or did everyone miss last week when google officially declared victory over apple.
winston1236 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:37 PM   #87
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
These numbers are so fudged its not even funny. Considering samsung alone sells more android smart phones than apple I'd love to know how these numbers add up. You can play with statistics and make them fit whatever outcome you want. Thats obviously what happened here.
What happened here is that these are US numbers and Samsung sells more than Apple worldwide.

You realize the US does not count for the whole world, do you?
TC03 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:37 PM   #88
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
Yes on the secondary market (if you mean second hand market) they are cheaper but most people ask more money than they are worth. Yet I've seen lots of lumias 800 sold cheaply (new in the box for 100~150 eur).

About Microsoft I doubt that people will gain trust soon enough. Nokia has huge problems with unreliability (I don't know about the lumia series), most people avoid nokia like the plague. The windows 8 update fiasco made many people reluctant to buy windows phones.
What window8 update fiasco?

Either way, I just think MS needs some marketing for there phones. Most people that have them tend to love em.
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #89
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
Android has 72% of world marketshare and apple has 14%. I would hardly consider that something to celebrate. Or did everyone miss last week when google officially declared victory over apple.
That's because Android is moving into low-end and mid-end, replacing the good old Nokias. Apple is in the high-end market, I'm certain Android does not have 72% market share in that market.
TC03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:38 PM   #90
ryantsai
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Then how do you know the reports which Samsung outsold Apple aren't fudged?
ryantsai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:39 PM   #91
Ted13
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
They are doomed.
To success.
No matter how disappointing or crazily priced their products are.
A 16GB iPhone 5 is 729€ here in Italy, and I bought a Galaxy Note 2 for 490€ today.
No wonder they are losing share over here.
Wow, talk about grey market opportunity: an unlocked (full price, no contract) iPhone 5 is $649 in the US - at today's rate 492€ exactly the same as your Samsung. Next time, get someone in the US to buy you an iPhone (or get one yourself on your next vacation). You end up with a much better deal, because when you decide to upgrade next, you can then sell your old iPhone for much much more than you would get for an equally old Android phone
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:42 PM   #92
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Italy sucks, most consumers are retarded and even don't have internet on their android smartphones. yeah I'm italian too... sadly.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:42 PM   #93
tbrinkma
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
If I understand correctly... these are quarterly share of sales, not overall market share (number of handsets in use by everyone over time). I wish I was wrong. :P
That's because the share of sales over a period is what market share measures. The number you were wanting is called 'install base'.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:44 PM   #94
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikir View Post
Italy sucks, most consumers are retarded and even don't have internet on their android smartphones. yeah I'm italian too... sadly.
It's very sad to judge a country from its smartphone internet consumption. Said from an Italian.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:46 PM   #95
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
Meh. Statistics may not lie, but you sure can make them say whatever you damn well please.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics"
-- British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli (1804–1881)
JHankwitz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:51 PM   #96
bawbac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
So Apple customers upgrade more frequently? I'd like a source for that statement.
Reading the threads here at this very forum any time a new apple product should enlighten you.
bawbac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:51 PM   #97
TechieGeek
macrumors member

This data is worthless. Why even publish statistics like this? Of course Apple will sell lots of product in the month right after their new phone launch. Of course they will sell more than any other phone right after the iPhone 5 is released.

You can't interpret these numbers as "new high with 53.3% of smartphone market" when all they show is that Apple sold more iPhones than Android phones after the new iPhone was released.

In other news, Thanksgiving turkey has record sales in the week before thanksgiving and holds 50% of pie food sales when compared to cheesecake.
TechieGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:51 PM   #98
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
People are still shocked at apple prices? What year is it again?
I dunno why prices even come up on the mobile front. While there might be cheaper options out there, Apple's phones and tablets are generally priced about the same as the competition.

...except for the iPad Mini, which I still think could afford to shed $50 or so. My opinion will probably change once they slap a retina display and some beefier hardware into the thing, though.
Renzatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:54 PM   #99
Banyan Bruce
macrumors regular

European poor folk...

These numbers just go to prove that Europe is broke and full of poor folk, who can't afford Apple's rather silly prices for 3 year old technology, that is actually starting to look dated.
Banyan Bruce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:57 PM   #100
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
What window8 update fiasco?
No updates for WP7.5 phones

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion