Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:25 PM   #1
EricGandolfe
macrumors newbie

Using A Back Up

Hello! So when I get my new computer on christmas, I'm going to be using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my hard drive so I use my new computer and have everything in the same place. I'm worried that when I click the internal HDD as the destination, for some reason it won't work because that's the boot drive or whatever. Basically, could anything go wrong in this process? Thanks!
EricGandolfe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Mojo1
macrumors 65816

There is no point to cloning your Mac's drive to the same internal drive. The point of creating a cloned volume of your Mac's drive is to have a bootable copy of the internal drive in the vent the internal drive stops functioning. If the clone is on the internal drive and it fails then the clone isn't going to be available to use...

I suggest taking a look at SuperDuper!. It costs $29 vs. $40 for CCC. I've used both utilities and SD! has been my choice for years. Top-notch tech support too.
Mojo1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:00 PM   #3
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGandolfe View Post
Hello! So when I get my new computer on christmas, I'm going to be using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my hard drive so I use my new computer and have everything in the same place. I'm worried that when I click the internal HDD as the destination, for some reason it won't work because that's the boot drive or whatever. Basically, could anything go wrong in this process? Thanks!
I think what you are saying is that you are going to clone your OLD computer and copy it to the new computer? If that is the case, use migration assistant that is part of OSX. You put your old and new on the same network and when you boot up your new one it will ask if you want to copy from an old and just follow the instructions. You end up with a clone of your old computer on your new one. I've done it many times.
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:03 PM   #4
mwhities
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to mwhities Send a message via MSN to mwhities
Once a week, I use CCC to clone my three systems (OS drive only). I boot off an external drive that I previously partitioned with a 100G partition and 900G partition (or whatever the exact numbers are for a terabyte drive).

The 100G has Mountain Lion installed on it, bootable, only CCC and updates are on it. The rest of the drive is for combo updates and the image files CCC makes.

So, I shut down my Macbook, add the drive, hit and hold "option", and then select the USB ML install drive. I then open up CCC, select the Macbook's drive as the source, then for the destination, I select my previous image back up (for the first time, select new image).

This way, I have a weekly back up of my systems. Yes, I use TimeMachine too. I just like to have redundant back ups and bootable back ups. After I back all three up, I send it to Crashplan. Since it's sparse images, it only updates the changes, the first images took awhile.

So you can make a clone of your old drive, then when your new system is in, push the image onto your new system's drive. (I'd format it with Disk Utility first, your new system.)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Tags
back up, clone, hard drive, mac mini