Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:33 PM   #1
crazybake
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Stuttering with animated films

I have been creating digital copies of some of my Blu Ray movies (down to 720p). Most work fine, except for animated movies. They stutter like crazy when I stream from iTunes to my 3rd gen Apple TV (cat 6)

So, I simply tried to watch the movie directly on the machine (an older core2 iMac) using Quicktime - also major stuttering

Here is the odd part. If I watch he same movie, on the same machine using the Mac Blu Ray player application, there is no stutter. The same is true if I use a Plex client on another machine and stream to it.

Is there something with Quicktime that I am missing - settings? Doing something wrong?
crazybake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:20 PM   #2
martinm0
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybake View Post
I have been creating digital copies of some of my Blu Ray movies (down to 720p). Most work fine, except for animated movies. They stutter like crazy when I stream from iTunes to my 3rd gen Apple TV (cat 6)

So, I simply tried to watch the movie directly on the machine (an older core2 iMac) using Quicktime - also major stuttering

Here is the odd part. If I watch he same movie, on the same machine using the Mac Blu Ray player application, there is no stutter. The same is true if I use a Plex client on another machine and stream to it.

Is there something with Quicktime that I am missing - settings? Doing something wrong?
Give VLC player a try and see how it works there. I assume you're converting them at the proper frame rate?
martinm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
crazybake
macrumors newbie

VLC also works fine- no stutter. The only oddity is Quicktime. It doesn't matter whether I play within iTunes or I stream from iTunes - still stutters. The issue is that I am streaming to a 3rd gen Apple TV from iTunes (thus Quicktime is used?) I ripped at 23.98 fps and a bitrate of approx 5000.

----------

Just to add a bit more…
I can play the MP4 file fine in VLC player, Roxio Video Player, Mac Blu Ray Player, and Plex Client with no stutter. Play the exact same file using quicktime - stutters badly
crazybake is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater