Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:57 PM   #1
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Piano sounds query for Logic Pro 9

Hi,

I'm not too impressed with the piano sounds in logic so was looking at importing some. I have a Nord Studio piano and love the Bright Grand on this. Is there a way I can get the sound from the Nord piano to use with the inbuilt logic plug ins such as ESX24?

Obviously I could record a track direct from my piano as an external instrument, but I'd like to use the sequencer of the plug ins and therefore assume I'd need to somehow transfer the samples from the Nord Piano?
snerkler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:03 PM   #2
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a

Why not use the Nord Piano as MIDI instrument?

That's how MIDI sequencing started way before there were software instruments.

As long as the Nord Piano can receive MIDI data then it should work just fine.

Check Logic's manual for instructions on how to set it up.
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:38 AM   #3
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
Why not use the Nord Piano as MIDI instrument?

That's how MIDI sequencing started way before there were software instruments.

As long as the Nord Piano can receive MIDI data then it should work just fine.

Check Logic's manual for instructions on how to set it up.
Thanks for the reply. I thought about this, but I assume using this method I can only use the Nord Sounds when the Nord is connected? Quite often I work in different places so don't always have my piano to hand and so was hoping there was I way I could 'store' the sounds in the logic sound bank, is this possible?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:22 AM   #4
fastlanephil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Thanks for the reply. I thought about this, but I assume using this method I can only use the Nord Sounds when the Nord is connected? Quite often I work in different places so don't always have my piano to hand and so was hoping there was I way I could 'store' the sounds in the logic sound bank, is this possible?
I believe Logic does have the capability to turn audio into MIDI notes but I don't think it's what your wanting here.

You probably should purchase a virtual piano.

If you want nice bright, responsive piano then I suggest Pianoteq 4 which is a synthesized piano. I haven't tried it myself but some say it's not quite as full sounding as the sampled pianos that are available of which I now own five, but it's probably going to work for you. It's probably as good or better than what the Nord Piano can do in a track.
fastlanephil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:19 AM   #5
snerkler
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanephil View Post
I believe Logic does have the capability to turn audio into MIDI notes but I don't think it's what your wanting here.

You probably should purchase a virtual piano.

If you want nice bright, responsive piano then I suggest Pianoteq 4 which is a synthesized piano. I haven't tried it myself but some say it's not quite as full sounding as the sampled pianos that are available of which I now own five, but it's probably going to work for you. It's probably as good or better than what the Nord Piano can do in a track.
Thanks for the help. I was trying to steer clear of buying a virtual piano as they're not the cheapest pieces of software, but I guess I may just have to bite the bullet. Hopefully I can find some samples prior to purchasing so that I'm not buying 'blind'.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio