Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oranges&Lemons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Hey everyone. I have had this problem before where my iphone said 'No sim card installed'. I took the sim out several times and wiped it, and it eventually came back to working with signal. However a few days later it now won't work whatsoever.

I went to carphone warehouse and they wanted £15 for a new sim to see if it was the sim or the phone. They said if I ring Orange they will give me a new one. I rang them, and they said I need to go into the shop. Does anyone know:
a. What they do in these situations
b. Whether they think its the sim or the phone? I really don't want to fork out for a new phone at Christmas :(

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I bought an iPhone4 off CL because it was dirt cheap last year and it had this problem. Constantly showing no sim and such, unless I keep messing with it. I eventually re-sold it. I think it's a hardware issue

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Doesn't hurt to: Take out SIM, lay it on table and rub it with a pencil's eraser. Result should be shiny clean contacts.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Perhaps you could try swapping SIM cards with some else's phone and see if the problem followed the card or stayed with the phone.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
well known and documented issue with many "solutions" that dont work. my old iphone 4 did this with nothing fixing it. reload the OS, new SIM, new SIM tray...etc. spoke with apple, they said it was a hardware issue. they ended up replacing the phone.

Oranges&Lemons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Hey everyone, thought I'd give an update. Went into an Orange shop. She took out the sim, and put in another. It said searching then no service. She tried it with another sim, and it did the same thing, put my sim in and it went back to NO SIM. She said its most likely the sim reader thats gone. I walked out the shop, turned it off and turned it back on and it started working again! Couple of hours later I went to take a picture and the camera wouldnt work it was just a blank screen. I soft reset it, and it turned back on and the camera worked again but the signal went back to NO SIM.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new iphone :(

Question, when I go to sell this one to a company that wants money for phones, is it classed as working still?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Hey everyone, thought I'd give an update. Went into an Orange shop. She took out the sim, and put in another. It said searching then no service. She tried it with another sim, and it did the same thing, put my sim in and it went back to NO SIM. She said its most likely the sim reader thats gone. I walked out the shop, turned it off and turned it back on and it started working again! Couple of hours later I went to take a picture and the camera wouldnt work it was just a blank screen. I soft reset it, and it turned back on and the camera worked again but the signal went back to NO SIM.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a new iphone :(

Question, when I go to sell this one to a company that wants money for phones, is it classed as working still?

as i stated, its a hardware issue and nothing is gonna fix it. and sure, rebooting is a temporary fix but the problem will come right back. and yes, you can sell it to them for practically dirt nowadays. just remove the SIM and youre good to go. apple will replace the phone at an apple store for their fee of i think $150. you turn in your broken one, they give you a "new" refurb. i did this and my phone worked perfectly and never saw the error again. like i said, apple said it was a hardware defect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.