Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will we see an iPad Mini with Retina display?

• Spring 2013

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • Summer 2013

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Fall 2013

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • 2014 or longer

Votes: 8 12.5%

• Total voters

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
Why ask questions that you KNOW no one knows the answer to?

There may be a few folks at Apple that know. :)

Besides, it's been mentioned many times before, it's hard not to ruminate on a site called MacRumors. :)

Last edited:

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
It was held back for some reason, because the technology is already there:

I tend to agree. If Apple can make a retina bigger than the Mini (iPad) and a retina smaller than the Mini (iPod), surely the technology is here right now to make a retina Mini.

People have posted that they are worried a retina Mini is going to be thicker and heavier. How much thicker/heavier could it be? When the iPad went retina, it was 0.8 mm thicker. And 2 ounces heavier. When the iPod went retina, it actually got thinner and lighter.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm thinking 3rd quarter 2013, the mini is selling very well and why impact the sales of the current model by releasing a newer replacement so soon.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I tend to agree. If Apple can make a retina bigger than the Mini (iPad) and a retina smaller than the Mini (iPod), surely the technology is here right now to make a retina Mini.

People have posted that they are worried a retina Mini is going to be thicker and heavier. How much thicker/heavier could it be? When the iPad went retina, it was 0.8 mm thicker. And 2 ounces heavier. When the iPod went retina, it actually got thinner and lighter.

Plus they haven't used IGZO screen yet. Also Apple is in the process of making thinner and smaller processors as well as smaller batteries that last just as long.

Apple making things smaller and thinner? They can do it blindfolded, they're so good at doing this now, I think because of the iPad 3, people are underestimating them a little.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think it's fun too! :p

I'm predicting Spring 2013.

But we have already heard from the crowd developing these panels they will not be out of development until Q3 and into production / manufacture Q4 2013

So these predictions of spring are daft...

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
You can see it whenever Apple wants you to see it. It was held back for some reason, because the technology is already there:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1512508/

Sorry, being a bit thick here, but I've no idea what you're trying to tell me.

The question asked when we would see retina in the mini - I responded perhaps autumn 2013, also likely would be autumn 2014. I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me, sorry for being thick here.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm thinking 3rd quarter 2013, the mini is selling very well and why impact the sales of the current model by releasing a newer replacement so soon.

That's what us iPad 3 owners were saying when we found out about the 4th gen iPad. :p

So I say the hell with it, how about Spring 2013.

money-in-hand.jpg

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Sharp started production of their IGZO screens, ultrathin, energy saving and with incredible colour and resolution (going as high as 4K) just a month ago. IGZO screens used with IGZO specs (not with usual specs as in current iPads) are extremely energy efficient, said to be twice of existing technology and while IGZO screens are already supplied to Apple, they are used as conventional screens subject to more general iPad and iPhone screens, not necessarily as IGZO screens. IGZO delivers more vivid colors, deeper blacks and sharper image overall compared to traditional LCD screens. Sharp's IGZO on smartphones can go as high as 443 pip or TRIPLE the mini's resolution.

Having said that, my opinion is that to fully utilize this incredible technology, Apple needs some time fine-tuning their processors and display technology and specs to the IGZO specs. It surely can't be done in one month and then you need to do wide range of tests before actually moving up to IGZO specs.

I also think that the new specs should appear in all new products, that is in iPhones, iPads and in minis, rather than just in one product. Therefore, iPhone 5S is a primary candidate for IGZO specs, because it's update comes first, maybe in summer 2013 as Apple accelerates the iphone cycle. The new display specs will probably a main feature for upcoming renewal of iOS 7 which I guess will be declared by early summer 2013 as well. In addition to this hardware change, numerous software changes such as releasing new drivers for their display should be finished in matter of 2-3 months if IGZO will, undoubtedly, employed in future generations of iOS hardware.

IGZO screens in which Apple seems to invest, will be one of main features making it different and better compared to Samsung, whose pentile technology for Galaxy line is rapidly becoming obsolete.

Therefore, the new mini should not just have a Retina, but have a full IGZO specs with its great battery life and great colors, but this can't happen this Spring and most probably late Summer 2013. So current mini's will be sold at least until late summer or will be continued to sell alongside new iPad mini since Fall 2013, similar to 4S being sold along with iPhone 5, maybe at slightly lower price to distinguish it from IGZO retina minis.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
I'm doubting it'll come any earlier than Fall as iPad Mini is a great and affordable Christmas gift.

It's in the top 10 things people want for Christmas for sure. Even if they don't know it yet, they'll be happy to get one. (Not very scientific, but almost certainly true)

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I'm doubting it'll come any earlier than Fall as iPad Mini is a great and affordable Christmas gift.

It's in the top 10 things people want for Christmas for sure. Even if they don't know it yet, they'll be happy to get one. (Not very scientific, but almost certainly true)

iPads make great gifts no matter when its release.

iPad was basically a must top Christmas presents since 2010.

Remember that the iPad and iPad 2 were huge during Christmas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.