Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:05 PM   #26
classicaliberal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
And the fact the seven Supreme Court Justices couldn't understand this is ... mind boggling.
You don't really 'get' what the job of a Judge is, do you?

---

Anyway, a clearly constitutional ruling (all that matters), but I'd say also an eminently logical ruling.

Employment is a contract between two consenting parties.

If any party determines they no longer wish to engage in said contract, they are free to nullify the contract under the terms originally agreed to.

Any employee should be able to quit for any reason, any employer should be able to fire for any reason.

Government shouldn't be involved AT ALL, other than to ensure contracts are upheld through a court of law.

Last edited by classicaliberal; Dec 25, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
classicaliberal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:14 PM   #27
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicaliberal View Post
An eminently logical ruling.

If any party determines they no longer wish to engage in said contract, they are free to nullify the contract under the terms originally agreed to.

Any employee should be able to quit for any reason, any employer should be able to fire for any reason.

Government shouldn't be involved AT ALL, other than to ensure contracts are upheld through a court of law.
So what you're saying is that if a racist white guy takes over a business, he should have every right to fire all non-white employees?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:18 PM   #28
classicaliberal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlotdevice View Post
So what you're saying is tht if a racist person takes over a business, this person should have every right to fire all non-white employees?
Yes. The dirty rotten scum bag should have every right to make every stupid ill-informed disgusting backwards employment mistakes he wants to. I hope he would pay the political and economic of such a stupendously stupid and sickening decision... but I believe it's his decision to make. What kind of job is it, if the only reason you're not being fired, is because it's against the law to do so?

I believe more freedom, not less, will make us all safer, happier, and more prosperous as a people. Bad things will happen, much as they do now, but the net gain both in principle and in society will make it all worth while.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:22 PM   #29
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Yes. The dirty rotten scum bag should have every right to make every stupid ill-informed disgusting backwards employment mistakes he wants to. I hope he would pay the political and economic of such a stupendously stupid and sickening decision... but I believe it's his decision to make. What kind of job is it, if the only reason you're not being fired, is because it's against the law to do so?

I believe more freedom, not less, will make us all safer, happier, and more prosperous as a people. Bad things will happen, much as they do now, but the net gain both in principle and in society will make it all worth while.
How would that jive with the equal protection laws?
NT1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:28 PM   #30
classicaliberal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
How would that jive with the equal protection laws?
It wouldn't.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:02 PM   #31
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Your post spurred me to look into the matter and you are correct.

Excerpts from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics [bolding mine] ...

Quote:
The employment-at-will doctrine: three major exceptions

In legal terms, though, since the last half of the 19th century, employment in each of the United States has been “at will,” or terminable by either the employer or employee for any reason whatsoever. The employment-at-will doctrine avows that, when an employee does not have a written employment contract and the term of employment is of indefinite duration, the employer can terminate the employee for good cause, bad cause, or no cause at all.

Public-policy exception

Under the public-policy exception to employment at will, an employee is wrongfully discharged when the termination is against an explicit, well-established public policy of the State. For example, in most States, an employer cannot terminate an employee for filing a workers’ compensation claim after being injured on the job, or for refusing to break the law at the re- quest of the employer. The majority view among States is that public policy may be found in either a State constitution, statute, or administrative rule, but some States have either restricted or expanded the doctrine beyond this bound. The public-policy exception is the most widely accepted exception, recognized in 43 of the 50 States.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/01/art1full.pdf
Apparently the following did not apply in this case ...

Quote:
Implied-contract exception

The second major exception to the employment-at-will doctrine is applied when an implied contract is formed between an employer and employee, even though no express, written in- strument regarding the employment relationship exists. Al- though employment is typically not governed by a contract, an employer may make oral or written representations to em- ployees regarding job security or procedures that will be fol- lowed when adverse employment actions are taken. If so, these representations may create a contract for employment. This exception is recognized in 38 of the 50 States.

A common occurrence in the recent past was courts finding that the contents and representations made in employee handbooks could create an implied contract, absent a clear and express waiver that the guidelines and policies in such handbooks did not create contract rights. The typical situation involves handbook provisions which state that employ- ees will be disciplined or terminated only for “just cause” or under other specified circumstances, or provisions which indicate that an employer will follow specific procedures before disciplining or terminating an employee. A hiring official’s oral representations to employees, such as saying that employment will continue as long as the employee’s performance is adequate, also may create an implied contract that would prevent termination except for cause.

And unfortunately for the woman, the following exception is not legal in Iowa ...

Quote:
Covenant-of-good-faith exception

Recognized by only 11 States, the exception for a covenant of good faith and fair dealing represents the most significant departure from the traditional employment-at-will doctrine. Rather than narrowly prohibiting terminations based on public policy or an implied contract, this exception — at its broadest — reads a covenant of good faith and fair dealing into every employment relationship. It has been interpreted to mean either that employer personnel decisions are subject to a “just cause” standard or that terminations made in bad faith or motivated by malice are prohibited.

Thank you classicaliberal for compelling me to look more deeply into the issue. No matter how much I disagree with the employers decision, it appears he is well within his right to make it, and the judges followed the law by ruling in his favor.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:13 PM   #32
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
It wouldn't.
Then the point is moot. Business don't have the right to simply exist and do what they want, they have to be chartered and approved by the government. If they can't follow the law, they have no right to do whatever they want.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 10:31 PM   #33
leekohler
Banned

Quote:

What about the ability to be free from discrimination in employment and public accommodations (which is inflicted harm) on the basis of innate qualities?

Apparently, that is a freedom you do not value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Then the point is moot. Business don't have the right to simply exist and do what they want, they have to be chartered and approved by the government. If they can't follow the law, they have no right to do whatever they want.
And there are clear reasons for this.
leekohler is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:20 AM   #34
iStudentUK
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I often hear arguments like this, and I'm afraid it shows very few people really understand even the basica of contract law. A contract is between two (or more) consenting parties but the contract must conform to the law of the land. I'm afraid it has never been the case that parties can agree to whatever they want, literally since time immemorial (1189 CE).

Some contracts that do not conform to the law are invalid - eg in English law a contract to sell an organ is invalid as contrary to public policy. Other contracts are "fixed" with implied terms - eg if you give me 100 for my car but are too busy to take delivery now and we never agree an actual date for delivery there is an implied term that I'll deliver it within a "reasonable" time.

These concepts are nothing new, implying a term that an employee cannot be fired for reasons such as race is not a new phenomenon. It's simply carrying on literally centuries of existing practice - implying terms (either by statute or at common law) or invalidating contracts. Contracts are, and always have been, regulated by the government and/or the courts.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:05 AM   #35
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStudentUK View Post
I often hear arguments like this, and I'm afraid it shows very few people really understand even the basica of contract law. A contract is between two (or more) consenting parties but the contract must conform to the law of the land.
Yes. And if you look at the laws that I cited from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, you'll see he did "conform to the law of the land".

These laws do vary by state. And California—where I've lived most of my life—provides more protections than Iowa. In Iowa, and many other "at will" states, the employer does not need a reason to fire an employee. They may even fire an employee for very stupid reasons, as in this instance. It is their legal right.

I hope there might be a national law that could overturn the Iowa Supreme Court's ruling. IMO, this could fall under sex-based discrimination—please note the las paragraph in the quoted text below ...

Quote:
Sex-Based Discrimination
Sex discrimination involves treating someone (an applicant or employee) unfavorably because of that person’s sex.

Sex Discrimination & Work Situations
The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment.

Sex Discrimination & Employment Policies/Practices
An employment policy or practice that applies to everyone, regardless of sex, can be illegal if it has a negative impact on the employment of people of a certain sex and is not job-related or necessary to the operation of the business.

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sex.cfm
IMO, that would appear to apply in this case.

Last edited by citizenzen; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Changed "them" to "the"; deleted "even"
citizenzen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:39 AM   #36
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:

---

Anyway, a clearly constitutional ruling (all that matters), but I'd say also an eminently logical ruling.

Don't really understand the point of a "contract" if either party can break it on a whim.
Mac'nCheese is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:51 AM   #37
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
What kind of job is it, if the only reason you're not being fired, is because it's against the law to do so?
What kind of job is it, if the reason you are being fired, is because you are black, gay, female, ugly, fat, or blonde?

I think the free world you envision is not how the actual free world would operate.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:14 AM   #38
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:

---

Maybe in your "ideal" world. In contrast, I support anti-discrimination laws.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:45 AM   #39
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

The organizing principle of our society shouldn't be that men cannot resist temptation so we should lock up all the women. Hopefully this case will be well publicized and the dentist will go out of business.

Reminds me of Swaziland banning miniskirts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20836429
miloblithe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:41 AM   #40
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Any employee should be able to quit for any reason,
So that means the employees can just walk out at any time? Isn't that like an illegal strike?
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:50 AM   #41
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraserhead View Post
So that means the employees can just walk out at any time? Isn't that like an illegal strike?
It's not really a strike if you're quitting. A strike usually means you intend to come back doesn't it?

You can quit any time you want. It's customary to give 2 weeks notice but not required.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:40 PM   #42
CorvusCamenarum
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Generally speaking, if you don't show up for work without calling in, you'll be summarily fired. Had that happen quite a few times when I was in the retail business. I'd try to give them a day or so first, though, to explain themselves; if you're having an legitimate emergency of some sort, calling your boss isn't high up on the list of priorities.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:53 PM   #43
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Well, the degree of illegal arguably varies partially by the impact of an employee saying 'screw it' and calling it a day. If you flip your boss off and walk out of a cash register job, you will probably just be fired. If you flip your boss off and walk out of manning a nuclear silo with an ICBM chillin' inside of it that you have happened to perform about 1/3 of the maintenance procedure on and parts to the mother****** are scattered everywhere, you may go to jail (upon being fired).

edit: been trying to see how that would actually work but there isn't a lot of information on such a specific scenario I presented and I'm not sure who to call to ask about it...
NickZac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:57 PM   #44
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Good points guys!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:30 PM   #45
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloblithe View Post
The organizing principle of our society shouldn't be that men cannot resist temptation so we should lock up all the women. Hopefully this case will be well publicized and the dentist will go out of business.

Reminds me of Swaziland banning miniskirts:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20836429
Bring back the burka!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues