Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
bgro
macrumors 6502a

Moving Managed Aperture Library Help

Hi All,

I currently have my managed Aperture library stored on my Macbook Pro and backed up to an external hard drive using Time Machine.

I'm receiving a new Mac Mini this weekend and would like to move my Aperture library to the Mini.

I'm not sure it's as easy as I think it is but is all I have to do is drag the Aperture file located in my Time Machine backup onto the Mini and everything will copy over?

Also, I was thinking about getting an external hard drive and switching to a referenced library. If I did this before I got my Mini, I was thinking I would relocate the orgiinals to the external hard drive and then do the same thing as in option 1, just drag the Aperture library (now referenced) onto my Mini and everything would be seamless.

Am I missing anything? Or are there other files I need to copy over besides the Aperture library to make this work?

Thanks in advance!
bgro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Prodo123
macrumors 68020

Sounds about right.
Managed libraries behave just like iTunes libraries in the fact that all you need to do to move it is to move the single file.
Referenced libraries, you would have to relocate the originals to the hard drive, then copy the library file (which would hold the adjustments, metadata and previews) to the Mini.
Should be perfectly fine.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography