Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

U.S. Carriers Unlikely to Support iPhone 5's Wideband Audio, European Support More Likely

One of the iPhone 5 features highlighted by Phil Schiller during yesterday's introduction was wideband audio, which offers "crisper word clarity and more natural sounding speech" according to Apple's press release. Schiller noted that the feature requires carrier support and that it would be supported by over 20 carriers on the iPhone 5 at launch, but did not specify which carriers those would be.

Phone Scoop reported late yesterday that Sprint has confirmed it will not support wideband audio (frequently marketed as "HD Voice") on the iPhone 5, and PCMag.com has a good overview of why none of the three major U.S. carriers are likely to support it.
Quote:
There are three ways to do high-quality, or "wideband" voice calls.

One is to use a new codec, called AMR-WB, over a "3G GSM" (UMTS) network. That's what some European carriers are doing and what's in the iPhone. This is relatively easy to implement on the phone side, provided that the network supports it. In the U.S., only AT&T and T-Mobile would be eligible to do this, and they won't because they're focused on 4G (see below.)

The report goes on to discuss the other two mechanisms for providing HD Voice support, which include a CDMA-related codec being used by Sprint and voice-over-LTE technology being pursued by both AT&T and Verizon, but the iPhone 5 does not support either of those mechanisms.
Quote:
The result is going to be extremely limited HD Voice experiences in the U.S. for at least a few years. It'll be restricted to calls between limited sets of phones, probably on the same carrier, and it won't be on the iPhone 5.
Beyond wideband audio, Schiller touted several other audio enhancements on the iPhone 5, including a total of three microphones for noise cancelation and accurate voice transcription, a smaller and improved speaker, and a noise-canceling earpiece.

(Images from The Verge)

Article Link: U.S. Carriers Unlikely to Support iPhone 5's Wideband Audio, European Support More Likely
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:47 PM   #2
floatingspirit
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingspirit
US Carriers suck. Always have.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Sep 17, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: no need to quote entire news item
floatingspirit is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

But remember, apple only caters to the American market.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Doesn't Orange in the UK have their "HD Voice" package already? I remember them advertising it a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
But remember, apple only caters to the American market.
So because American carriers are less likely to adopt something Apple releases that undoes all the things Apple has done purely for the US Market? Such as way overcharging other Nations, Siri still gimped outside the US, not supporting 4G outside the US.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingspirit View Post
it is a spetrum issues. They are already struggling in that department so they sure as hell are not going to lose more for calls for what would be very marginal gains and very few people could even use it.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:49 PM   #6
iPusch
macrumors 6502

Didn't Philler say "Deutsch Telecom" and "Orange" will support that feature on launch day? Why those small tiny countries but not the united states?

Last edited by iPusch; Sep 13, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
iPusch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:50 PM   #7
Omacc
macrumors member

So i am paying money for a "wideband audio" feature that at verizon i cannot access or use?
Omacc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

Kind of like how mountain lion supports video mirroring to apple tv.. Except if you're using 90% of the apple hardware supposedly compatible wih ML that doesn't support video mirroring to apple tv.
Orange Crane is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:52 PM   #9
superfula
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacc View Post
So i am paying money for a "wideband audio" feature that at verizon i cannot access or use?
Yes. Without wideband audio the iPhone would certainly be cheaper.
superfula is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Speedy Gonzalez
macrumors regular

Who cares just give me my iPhone 5
Speedy Gonzalez is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:53 PM   #11
bboucher790
macrumors 6502a

On second thought, I really don't care.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:54 PM   #12
DTphonehome
macrumors 65816

That sucks! I absolutely detest cell audio quality and was really looking forward to this. It would only take a minuscule greater amount of bandwidth. Hell, they could charge me a couple bucks a month and I'd still get it.
DTphonehome is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:54 PM   #13
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

If I use the iphone and dont use lte would i get better battery life with lte turned off?
nick_elt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:55 PM   #14
omyard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacc View Post
Yes and no.

Yes, because you're paying for a feature that you won't be able to use.

No, because the iPhone would've cost the same with the feature or without it.

It's not like you previously had access to the feature and it was removed. So outside of the fact that US carriers suck I wouldn't lose any sleep over not having this new feature.
omyard is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:58 PM   #15
Mundty
macrumors member

This is not good enough, I need to hear the smacking of my friends lips as he speaks.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:59 PM   #16
ditroia
macrumors newbie

Telstra in Australia supports it as well.
ditroia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:59 PM   #17
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Do yourself a big favor and use Skype and you'll see how crappy AT&T/Verizon/Any Cell provider's quality is.

Get a friend with an iPhone. Both download Skype (you'll need usernames, yuck, but whatever). Call your friend on Skype. Talk for at least 5 minutes. Hang up, then call using your carrier (AT&T/Verizon) and you'll see how these horrible the carrier's quality is.

I know AT&T is concerned on making money, but at least make some improvements to the voice network.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:00 PM   #18
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingspirit View Post

more like european carriers are way behind since they don't have LTE yet
alent1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:00 PM   #19
Speedy Gonzalez
macrumors regular

Speedy Gonzalez is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:01 PM   #20
afurry13
macrumors 65816

We won't be able to experience this "HD Audio." However, those of us with AT&T get the privilege of paying more for shared data in order to use Facetime. Carriers suck. Carriers suck. Carriers suck.
afurry13 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:01 PM   #21
dlucks
macrumors newbie

Dear U.S. Carriers,

Please hang your heads in shame! This is an outrage!!

Apple is in a great position to "encourage" the U.S. carriers to step up and deliver the world's BEST to this country's citizens. It makes me sick to know that the United States of America is getting PUNKED by other countries.

This article is 4 years old. What's it gonna take?

http://arstechnica.com/uncategorized...to-every-home/
dlucks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:01 PM   #22
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

AT&T will support it, for $4.99 extra a month limited to 100 minutes per month.
Intarweb is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:01 PM   #23
ronm99
macrumors regular

That is too bad. Landline and cell phone both are horrible ... I never realized how bad they were until I used Skype from computer to computer using a decent headset. The sound quality difference is bigger than the difference between standard and HD TV. It sounded SO much better.

Hopefully with LTE becoming more common in the US, voice over LTE will give us better audio quality at some point in the future.
ronm99 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:02 PM   #24
peteullo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
If I use the iphone and dont use lte would i get better battery life with lte turned off?
I don't think it would matter. According to Apple, talk/surf time is the same from 3G/4G and LTE
peteullo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:02 PM   #25
rnizlek
macrumors 6502

Wait, where has it been confirmed that the iPhone does not support VoLTE?

Does the Qualcomm 9215 really not support VoLTE? The PC World article makes no references to sources for any of the information.
rnizlek is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion