Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:11 PM   #26
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacc View Post
Apple is beginning to make weak commercials.. when jobs was around i was always impressed with the sound score behind the commercial as well as the storyline/outline of the commercial. not to creative anymore. seems like there trying to hard
Trying to hard what?
coolfactor is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:14 PM   #27
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple has released a new television ad showcasing the iPad and the iPad mini with a young girl singing Bing Crosby's "I'll Be Home for Christmas" to her grandfather over FaceTime.

YouTube: video
Last year, Apple released a holiday ad featuring Santa talking to the then-new Siri to get directions and weather.

Article Link: Apple Releases 'I'll Be Home' iPad Mini Holiday Television Ad
Apple is losing steam.

Why would Apple release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive product? I don't get it. Maybe it's a good idea to lower down the revenue.

This is a cheap TV ad, I don't like it..... It suggests that old man should better use an iPad. Is it because it will be too difficult for an old man to use OSX or old man has no money to buy a 27" iMac.

Why does the girl not use a full size iPad? Parents are cheap?

One more time, this is a CHEAP TV ad
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:15 PM   #28
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I love how the resolution show on iChat is full blast flawless crystal clear HD...never achievable IRL.

Of course the "screen images are simulated" disclaimer makes it all ok.
Lump of coal for you this year, grumpy.

(And where was that disclaimer, or are you digging for dirt?)
coolfactor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:17 PM   #29
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Oh give me a break. It's funny and edgy. Anyway, the S-Beam one where the wife beams her hubby a naughty video "you probably should't watch it on the plane" as he gets in a cab is better. Identical concept that's more acceptable to hyper sensitive people I guess.

And if you could "bump" iPhones (using NFC, not that cheezy app) to share videos, pics and stuff, people would swoon like it was the second coming. Just saying.
Believe me I would never be caught dead bumping my iPhone with anyone else's. . Completely lame. Oh and I don't need Santa and Mrs. Clause to be "edgy". If Apple's commercials are boring because they're not "edgy" enough fine with me.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:17 PM   #30
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Apple is losing steam.

Wow, you must be cynical because you can't afford any of Apple's products this year? This ad perfectly demonstrated how two of Apple's headlining products work seamlessly together, using a heart-warming approach.
coolfactor is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:17 PM   #31
neuropsychguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
And you'll never forget it. Mission accomplished.

----------

Do us a favor and...
...grow up.
neuropsychguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:18 PM   #32
v0lume4
macrumors regular

I'd be the first say I think this is brilliant. It's sweet, and oh so simple.
v0lume4 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:20 PM   #33
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Lump of coal for you this year, grumpy.

(And where was that disclaimer, or are you digging for dirt?)
You're right there is no disclaimer, which is surprising. Normally all commercials have this due to the fact that the marketing images/simulations are not realistic. They are exaggerated to show the product, not the realistic functionality that a consumer can expect.

So, my iPad (work issued) does not have that crystal clear resolution on iChat.

If yours does, what's the secret? Exactly. It's fictitious.

Note 3, iPhone 5, iPad 4 LTE, 15" rMBP, 13" rMBP, 13" Air.

coolbreeze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #34
v0lume4
macrumors regular

Quote:
Why would Apple release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive product? I don't get it. Maybe it's a good idea to lower down the revenue.
It's what they did the with the iPod line, and look how that worked out for them--wonderfully. Apple's always been about showing us things we didn't even realize we wanted yet. Well, a smaller iPad may not be for all, but it's supposed 40% cannibalization rate is speaking for itself.
v0lume4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #35
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Better than the Samsung naughty Mrs. Clause ad.

I'll take these ads any day over the stupid bump your phones Samsung ads.
Wow!!! Samsung is desperate! They drop their morals just to get eyes. Sad, sad, sad. Oh wait... they had morals? Okay, carry on Samsung..
coolfactor is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #36
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxlight View Post
Sigh.

I hate to be *that guy*, but commercials featuring "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and "Santa Claus" ...

Can we just admit these things are CHRISTMAS ADS, not "Holiday Ads", please? WTF.
I'm glad to see Apple not afraid to use a Christmas song in an ad. I thought it was a cute ad. Not sure what people are expecting, but I think they're dissecting a 30 second spot way too much.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:23 PM   #37
coolfactor
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Because the *value* in the product is not defined by either the hardware or the software, but in the user experience, and *none* of that is lost in the iPad mini. As they say, it's the full iPad experience. Happy customers means more sales of apps, music, TV shows, movies... the revenue that "cheaper" product will generate is far more than the difference between the full-sized iPad and the mini. So, while the upfront cost may be lower, the overall value to Apple (and the customer) is far greater.
coolfactor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:32 PM   #38
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Wow, you must be cynical because you can't afford any of Apple's products this year? This ad perfectly demonstrated how two of Apple's headlining products work seamlessly together, using a heart-warming approach.
Are you kidding me? I bought iPad2 and iPad3, two times Apple TV, Airport Extreme base station. I don't like iPhone, it's too small.

I bought the latest 2012 21.5" iMac the first hour available in Apple Store even though my 2010 iMac is still running fine. And I bought a new superdrive and a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD retail veriosn (not a cheap OEM DVD) for Bootcamp installation.

I'm planing to buy a Mac mini for HTPC after Apple cleans up all these HDMI mess.

Could you please tell me what toys you bought from Apple in 2012?
apple-win is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:33 PM   #39
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple is losing steam.

This is a cheap TV ad, I don't like it..... It suggests that old man should better use an iPad. Is it because it will be too difficult for an old man to use OSX or old man has no money to buy a 27" iMac.

Why does the girl not use a full size iPad? Parents are cheap?

Are you kidding me?
I don't even...

Okay - Why, then, does the 21" iMac even exist? or the 16GB iPhone? Or any other non-top-of-the-line product?

Hell why doesn't apple only sell Mac Pro's with Thunderbolt displays, and call it a day!?

I like the way you think, sir.
spyguy10709 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:48 PM   #40
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lume4 View Post
It's what they did the with the iPod line, and look how that worked out for them--wonderfully. Apple's always been about showing us things we didn't even realize we wanted yet. Well, a smaller iPad may not be for all, but it's supposed 40% cannibalization rate is speaking for itself.
I don't like this CHEAP Apple TV ad because it targets at little girl's parents and old man.

It's not cheap to advertise on TV, can Apple come up with something better for broader audience and products?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy10709 View Post
Are you kidding me?
I don't even...

Okay - Why, then, does the 21" iMac even exist? or the 16GB iPhone? Or any other non-top-of-the-line product?

Hell why doesn't apple only sell Mac Pro's with Thunderbolt displays, and call it a day!?

I like the way you think, sir.
You don't get my point.

A bigger screen all-in-one iMac is better for an old man because most old men are far-sighted. A small screen iPad mini is bad for little kid's eyes too.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:52 PM   #41
karsten
macrumors 6502a

of course it had to be a ukelele .
karsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:56 PM   #42
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
How do we know it's her grandfather?
More importantly, why do you care who it is?

Quote:
Newsflash - just because he doesn't like the commercial it doesn't mean he's too 'poor' to afford an apple product.

People like you give Apple users a bad name.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:00 PM   #43
jdegid
macrumors newbie

What I was thinking
I'll be home for Christmas.... unless your ordered a 27" iMac then you might get me by February la la la la
jdegid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:09 PM   #44
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

Given that a couple of my favorite Apple ads include the Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" (the G4 Cube ad) and Muse's "Sunburn" (the one that asks: have you ever wondered what music looks like when it burns?), this ad was bound to dissapoint me.

Even Smucker's ads aren't so cloyingly sweet.

It's like Apple's grown up from an interesting teenager to a really boring parent full of the most soluble words and platitudes.
swingerofbirch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:22 PM   #45
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
pics?
Go google my pictures
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:25 PM   #46
Schmitty11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
That girl's voice sounds extremely irritating
Your comment is extremely irritating.
Schmitty11 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:33 PM   #47
sbrhwkp3
macrumors 6502

This commercial is awesome. All of their iPad mini commercials have been killing it.

Now, if they could get their iPhone 5 commercials ironed out...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
That girl's voice sounds extremely irritating
Wrong. She has a beautiful voice. Phenomenal job.
sbrhwkp3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:34 PM   #48
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Whether it be this ad or Samsung's ad one thing is certain: there are a lot of curmudgeons.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:38 PM   #49
apple_iBoy
macrumors 6502

I'm having such a hard time finding a 16 or 32 GB Wi-Fi iPad mini. I wound up buying a 64 GB model, which will be WAY overkill for the intended recipient.

Does Apple even need to be advertising these right now? It's almost like rubbing salt in the wound.
apple_iBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:41 PM   #50
apple-win
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
More importantly, why do you care who it is?

Newsflash - just because he doesn't like the commercial it doesn't mean he's too 'poor' to afford an apple product.

People like you give Apple users a bad name.
Thanks for your support, Macsrcool1234.

I'm a Windows user, though I use a lot of Apple hardware because of the design. My observation is that, compared to Windows users, there are a lot of mean Apple users in public forum.

In old days, I did not hear or read about Sony Walkman fans bad mouth, let's say, Philips cassette player fans. Or Marantz fans bad mouth Harmon-Kardon fans (or vise versa).

Seriously, modern Apple cult is very mean.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion