Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:28 AM   #101
Scooz
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Wow. Those war veterans know to hide their pain.

But that interrogation specialist. An expert in her art.
Scooz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:31 AM   #102
Glideslope
macrumors 68030
 
Glideslope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
There's nothing creative about apple anymore! iMacs with no optical drives and SD slots ON THE BACK, expensive mini iPads with non retina screens, iPhone's with dodgy attennas then scratching backs, power macs with no upgrades for 2 years, apple tv (nuff said!), mac mini with no optical drives and no tv tuners (missing the best media machine opportunity in the world!), an OS that gets worse release on release, MAPS ... shall I go on
Another "Dimpled Chad"?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodypainter View Post
Whow! The by far MOST BORING ad ever!
For you perhaps. However, you aint the target. It's very powerful to the target audience (Mini). Who happen to be the fastest growing segment of the population.

Come on, freakin Marketing 101.
__________________
" A leader leads by example. Not by force." Sun Tzu
Glideslope is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:37 AM   #103
mikey1951
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 View Post
Being old sucks bad enough but listening to that......
Being old does not suck I am enjoying being old, and I think this song was great!!!!!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Apple is losing steam.

Why would Apple release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive product? I don't get it. Maybe it's a good idea to lower down the revenue.

This is a cheap TV ad, I don't like it..... It suggests that old man should better use an iPad. Is it because it will be too difficult for an old man to use OSX or old man has no money to buy a 27" iMac.

Why does the girl not use a full size iPad? Parents are cheap?

One more time, this is a CHEAP TV ad
WTF is your problem I think you need more prune juice.
mikey1951 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:42 AM   #104
unregbaron
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Seemed to drag on a bit and the singing voice is maybe unnecessary? Even the grandfather was beginning to get bored or is it me. Maybe intended only for the US market anyway.
unregbaron is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:50 AM   #105
crazytrain
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Why is she playing left handed on the ipad mini?
crazytrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:14 AM   #106
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Apple is losing steam.

Why would Apple release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive product? I don't get it. Maybe it's a good idea to lower down the revenue.

This is a cheap TV ad, I don't like it..... It suggests that old man should better use an iPad. Is it because it will be too difficult for an old man to use OSX or old man has no money to buy a 27" iMac.

Why does the girl not use a full size iPad? Parents are cheap?

One more time, this is a CHEAP TV ad
This makes absolutely no sense. They didn't release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive one. They are two different products with two different price points.
The commercial does not suggest anything about the old man except he wants to face time with his grand daughter and hear her sing and play.... I don't see how you can get more out of it than that. Not every one want's a huge computer darkening their desktop. You're saying her parents are cheap because she has a mini.... I bought a mini does that make me cheap? Or maybe I simply wanted a smaller iPad because it fits my lifestyle.

You made some very big generalization about a lot of things. You sound a bit snobbish because some might like the mini more than an iPad or an iPad over a iMac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
Wow!!! Samsung is desperate! They drop their morals just to get eyes. Sad, sad, sad. Oh wait... they had morals? Okay, carry on Samsung..
What are you talking about? Because they have fun with a good husband wife relationship they have no morals? Are you a prude or something? My wife flashes me her breasts all the time when I drive out of the driveway to work.... daylight, dark doesn't matter. You see we actually still like one another after so many years of marriage and my wife is the type to actually make me a video like that. Sorry you don't have someone in your life like that, it makes it a lot more fun to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
Could you please tell me what toys you bought from Apple in 2012?
Why do you think he cares? He can list all kinds of things he bought up to and including 5 27" iMacs, 10 iPads, 10 iPhone 5's ect ect. You were snobbish and he returned the favor, get over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple-win View Post
You don't get my point.
A bigger screen all-in-one iMac is better for an old man because most old men are far-sighted. A small screen iPad mini is bad for little kid's eyes too.
You actually have a point other than making generalizations about fictitious people in commercials. My Grandfather has perfect vision at 74 years of age and he owns an iPad. Kinda blows your generalizations right out of the water huh. Oh and he is also a retired vascular surgeon so can afford pretty much anything he wants so that blows your other theories out of the water now too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
People like you give Apple users a bad name.
I would say apple-win is the one giving apple users a bad name. He made so many generalizations about who buys which apple products and why.

Last edited by AFDoc; Dec 22, 2012 at 07:29 AM.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:50 AM   #107
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a
 
Kaibelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarshark View Post
Man only Apple can get away with not describing their product in their ads.
The ad shows:

What the product looks like.
How they are compared in size.
That they come in white.
How you would use it.
That the smaller one would be more appropriate for a teen.
What it can do.
That you can use both cameras for video conferencing.
That it's a good gift idea.
Kaibelf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:21 AM   #108
StarPower
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
VERY cute, and I usually HATE commercials that do the "child pandering" thing.

Very classy. Just makes Samsung's snarky commercials look extra crude and downright evil.
StarPower is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:34 AM   #109
noaka
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seoul
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
That girl's voice sounds extremely irritating
I'm so relieved I'm not the one who felt the same
noaka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:43 AM   #110
SpectatorHere
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Message:

Even senile old people and moronic children can use our wonderful video chat.
SpectatorHere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:48 AM   #111
trunten
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
please delete

Last edited by trunten; Dec 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
trunten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:59 AM   #112
SpectatorHere
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytrain View Post
Why is she playing left handed on the ipad mini?
Both tiny images are reversed for some reason.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunten View Post
Wait,so they gave the grandad the smaller ipad?
No, other way around. Unless the grandfather has screwed it up and is looking at himself by mistake (probably happens on occasion).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
The ad shows:

What the product looks like.
How they are compared in size.
That they come in white.
How you would use it.
That the smaller one would be more appropriate for a teen.
What it can do.
That you can use both cameras for video conferencing.
That it's a good gift idea.
You're right...but even more than that, they cast the old man and dumb kid to highlight simplicity of use, product ubiquity (includes your gift idea), etc.

They're also pushing brand marketing with the Apple ad style where the product and company get very little mention in audio, but always get the apple icon at the end.

There's nothing simple about Apple's ads. They chose the demographic target (white, middle-aged, middle class)...the sets reflect it too...notice the kid's room is painted in a modern fashion...no price is mentioned, as if that's not an issue to Apple's posh audience...
SpectatorHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:04 AM   #113
senseless
macrumors 65816
 
senseless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
How Subaru-ish of Apple! The actor playing Grandpop was very good; just right.
senseless is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:14 AM   #114
SpectatorHere
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPower View Post
VERY cute, and I usually HATE commercials that do the "child pandering" thing.

Very classy. Just makes Samsung's snarky commercials look extra crude and downright evil.
Too bad they decided to cast a girl who can't sing (or told her to sing poorly).

Samsung's ads are intentionally less serious to juxtapose with Apple's overly-simple product-focused ads.

In fact, it's probably about time Samsung parodies the old white background, cheeky symbolism Apple goes for.

----------

So the kid's immediate family is in Hawaii, and the old man is stuck in the Northeast?

And why not fly him out for Christmas? About what an iPad would cost...

Maybe that's the idea. Wouldn't it be better if you didn't have to smell grandpa this Christmas?
SpectatorHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:17 AM   #115
TC03
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
So weird how everyone on MacRumors has become an ad expert.
TC03 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:18 AM   #116
panda bear
macrumors 68000
 
panda bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNVERSE View Post
Looks like my grandpa, just smiling and pretending like he knows whats going on, only to be thinking "what is this device and what button do I press to talk back?"
Best post i've ever read on one of these articles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectatorHere View Post
Too bad they decided to cast a girl who can't sing (or told her to sing poorly).
I don't think I would classify her singing as "poor". Not even close to it.

She doesn't have a beautiful voice, but she was mostly on key and her voice didn't crack.

The point was probably to have a kid singing like a kid (but not terribly).. not some girl who could be the next Aretha Franklin.
panda bear is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:21 AM   #117
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandable View Post
Appropriately, grandpa has the large iPad......
Astute observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatarshark View Post
Man only Apple can get away with not describing their product in their ads.....
Brilliant! Powerful ad; no words required for this one. Sometimes less is more.....Too many ads 'talk' you to death, giving you information overload, after which, the message they're trying to convey, gets lost.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:26 AM   #118
SpectatorHere
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
So weird how everyone on MacRumors has become an ad expert.
Don't be surprised when you visit a thread about an ad that people will comment on it.

It is perhaps surprising MacRumors posts Apple ads, although so much of what Apple's success lies in it's marketing, perhaps it isn't quite as surprising.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda bear View Post
Best post i've ever read on one of these articles.



I don't think I would classify her singing as "poor". Not even close to it.

She doesn't have a beautiful voice, but she was mostly on key and her voice didn't crack.

The point was probably to have a kid singing like a kid (but not terribly).. not some girl who could be the next Aretha Franklin.
Okay, so not a good singer...however you put it, they cast a girl who wasn't a good singer likely so people would relate. There are after all many more poor singers than gifted ones.
SpectatorHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:53 AM   #119
bretm
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I love how the resolution show on iChat is full blast flawless crystal clear HD...never achievable IRL.

Of course the "screen images are simulated" disclaimer makes it all ok.
Huh? It's an iPad mini inset within a small subset of the pixels of an HD video. The iPad image is being represented by a couple hundred pixels either way at best. And an HD video is anything but retina anyway.

So I don't get your point. There's no image they could simulate that would look higher Rez than either device can repent on its own, unless you showed the mini display full screen. Only then would you start to see the pixels.
bretm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:20 AM   #120
PJMAN2952
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
This was really annoying. This is really bad compared to Google's Christmas video. Not being a hater but I think Google did a better job at making a Christmas special video.
PJMAN2952 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:47 AM   #121
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816
 
Drunken Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooz View Post
Wow. Those war veterans know to hide their pain.

But that interrogation specialist. An expert in her art.
Reminds me of the classic game, Kingdom O' Magic and the closet Nazi shopkeeper:

"Ve have vays of making you talk...if only ve had vays of making you shut up!"
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:56 AM   #122
6ftunder
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadley_chad View Post
There's nothing creative about apple anymore! iMacs with no optical drives and SD slots ON THE BACK, expensive mini iPads with non retina screens, iPhone's with dodgy attennas then scratching backs, power macs with no upgrades for 2 years, apple tv (nuff said!), mac mini with no optical drives and no tv tuners (missing the best media machine opportunity in the world!), an OS that gets worse release on release, MAPS ... shall I go on
then just move to another company. end of story.
__________________
6ftunder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:21 AM   #123
AlexJaye
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrhwkp3 View Post
This commercial is awesome. All of their iPad mini commercials have been killing it.

Now, if they could get their iPhone 5 commercials ironed out...

----------



Wrong. She has a beautiful voice. Phenomenal job.
"beautiful" is a bit of a stretch.
__________________
Bette Davis, we love you.
AlexJaye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:39 AM   #124
anjinha
macrumors 604
 
anjinha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell0W0rld View Post
That is exactly the same people say about past times:
"In the past everything was better".

That is progress bro, the next thing you will be saying is that in the dark ages everything was better.

That aside I find this ad extremely sad, Technology is no replacement for physical presents. How do they shake hands? How does she hug her Grandpa? How do they exchange gift's? With apps? Something that gets lost as soon as your device dies?

But hey, it is progress, so it is good right? ...right?
Sometimes you can't be with your family. In a few months I'm going to be living 5000 miles from my family. I'm very happy to have FaceTime to still be able to talk to them and see them.
__________________
Thank you Steve.
anjinha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:42 AM   #125
apple-win
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. They didn't release a cheaper product to replace a more expensive one. They are two different products with two different price points.
The commercial does not suggest anything about the old man except he wants to face time with his grand daughter and hear her sing and play.... I don't see how you can get more out of it than that. Not every one want's a huge computer darkening their desktop. You're saying her parents are cheap because she has a mini.... I bought a mini does that make me cheap? Or maybe I simply wanted a smaller iPad because it fits my lifestyle.

You made some very big generalization about a lot of things. You sound a bit snobbish because some might like the mini more than an iPad or an iPad over a iMac.

......

Why do you think he cares? He can list all kinds of things he bought up to and including 5 27" iMacs, 10 iPads, 10 iPhone 5's ect ect. You were snobbish and he returned the favor, get over it.

You actually have a point other than making generalizations about fictitious people in commercials. My Grandfather has perfect vision at 74 years of age and he owns an iPad. Kinda blows your generalizations right out of the water huh. Oh and he is also a retired vascular surgeon so can afford pretty much anything he wants so that blows your other theories out of the water now too.

I would say apple-win is the one giving apple users a bad name. He made so many generalizations about who buys which apple products and why.
Same to you, why do you think I care about your grandfather? Get over it

Ya, kids should tell their parents "I simply wants a smaller iPad because it fits my lifestyle." It sounds so classy. .... Few months later, kids will tell their parents "I need new eyeglasses."

In my previous post I replied to v0lume4, I said " I don't like this CHEAP Apple TV ad because it targets at little girl's parents and old man. It's not cheap to advertise on TV, can Apple come up with something better for broader audience and products? "

It's Apple PRopaganda machine generalizes about who buys which Apple products and why, not me.
apple-win is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple Releases First iPhone 5s Television Ad MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 135 Oct 22, 2013 05:22 AM
Apple Airs Two New iPad Mini Television Ads, 'Photos' and 'Books' MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 118 Dec 3, 2012 09:54 PM
Apple Television, iPad Mini, MacBook Air Speculation for 2013 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 234 Nov 28, 2012 01:35 AM
Apple Releases New iPad Television Ad: "All On iPad" MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 84 Aug 10, 2012 02:25 AM
Apple Releases New iPad Television Ad: "Do It All" MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 84 Jun 26, 2012 05:01 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC